Someone Else's Problem: 15ft of sensibleness: My new Octavia

Slightly OT: 21 years and zero faults :D

TVQPv.gif

Expected, yes. Nice, nonetheless.

6 year old Audi, 240k km, passed without any remarks. :rolleyes:

7 year old, 200k km, same thing back in November. Even exhaust fumes were Euro 5 rated and only meant to be Euro 4.

Hey, sixteen years old Peugeot with 350kkms and nothing to complain. :p

I realize I'm replying to something from like 2010, but still:

In the current weather it's brilliant to have a small engine. Gets up to operating temperature in no time :D

Funny. Mine takes forever to get up to operating temperature if it's anywhere close to cold out. Typical VAG "feature" found on most of their normal 1-2 liter engines.

This feature will hopefully be rectified with a Webasto heater next fall.

10 minutes for mine to get to 90 degrees. About half that to start blowing warm air.

I realize I'm replying to something from like 2010, but still:

Funny. Mine takes forever to get up to operating temperature if it's anywhere close to cold out. Typical VAG "feature" found on most of their normal 1-2 liter engines.

This feature will hopefully be rectified with a Webasto heater next fall.

10 minutes for mine to get to 90 degrees. About half that to start blowing warm air.

When it's cold outside (let's say -5?C, not Finish cold) a quick 6km commute isn't enough to get the needle all the way to 90?C, but a quick 9km commute is. "Quick" means next to no standing at lights or in heavy traffic.

I've recently ordered the TDI-only insulation mat for inside the hood, maybe that'll improve things a bit. For reference, part 1Z0863831A: http://www.online-teile.com/skoda/product_info.php?info=p9583009_1z0863831a-daempfung.html

I installed the TDI underbonnet insulation as well. It made *some* difference, but nothing revolutionary.

I think I'll cover the upper and lower grille too, at some point. Many people do it on diesel cars here, it looks like ass but it makes the engine warm up quicker and that's all that matters this time of the year. Once (if) I get that Webasto heater installed, all those problems will be gone.

And 9 km to get the needle to 90?C in -5?C weather is not "quick", it's like three times as long as I'm used to. :p

The car is going into the dealer to get that rear-ending damage sorted some time in the near future, and they'll take a look at the heater/ventilation then as well. The fan feels like it has to work way too hard to keep the windows (windscreen, in particular) mist free when it's anywhere from +2 and wet to -20, even with the engine at working temperature. Could be the cabin filter or something, not sure. Warranty means not my problem to sort out. :p

Last edited:
The car is going into the dealer to get that rear-ending damage sorted some time in the near future, and they'll take a look at the heater/ventilation then as well. The fan feels like it has to work way too hard to keep the windows (windscreen, in particular) mist free when it's anywhere from +2 and wet to -20, even with the engine at working temperature. Could be the cabin filter or something, not sure. Warranty means not my problem to sort out. :p

had exactly the same thing sorted out yesterday. it was actually the windscreen not being glued in properly and letting water in... great -.-

Yeah, I noticed that in a rental 1.6TDI Golf... luckily it was just over 0?C, it also had no buttwarmers :cry:

A 3 litre diesel has surprisingly little trouble in keeping warm/gaining warmth. It's almost a standard 8 minutes before it starts blowing warm air into the cabin, and 15-20 minutes to reach operating temp, regardless of ambient temperature. If I'd be keeping the car, I would install a block heater for sure, but for now it's been working great.

The things we drive at work, those damn Renault Clios with their tiny dci-engines, can't even reach operating temp.

w3PK9.jpg

http://www.topgear.com/uk/renault/clio/road-test/1.5-dci-106-initiale

12 hours of running an engine in -15 ?C in sub-operating temperature, that's gotta do some harm to the engine, right? Not that I give the tiniest fuck, it'd be hilarious if the car blew up on me. :rolleyes: It's just that the cabin gets very cold when there's no heat to go around! <_<

Last edited:
Tammer-Suoja makes form fitting grille protectors (what's the word? "maskisuoja") for many cars. Can be ordered via your friendly Fixus or Kaha parts store. Bloody expensive for what you get though, two pieces of camping mattress-esque material and some clips costs around 50eur. Also, ugly. But they're standard fare on many taxis and whatnot around here.

Tammer-Suoja makes form fitting grille protectors (what's the word? "maskisuoja") for many cars. Can be ordered via your friendly Fixus or Kaha parts store. Bloody expensive for what you get though, two pieces of camping mattress-esque material and some clips costs around 50eur. Also, ugly. But they're standard fare on many taxis and whatnot around here.

Like this 'stash protector? :lol: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-II/Octavia-II-09-11-Facelift-winter-grille-cover

Yeah, I know. Most French car drivers use them. Curious that they don't come as standard, being an obviously integral part of the car.