Someone Else's Problem: 15ft of sensibleness: My new Octavia

Was that 8 litres while you were doing 175? If not, that's quite high. My 1.8 litre petrol has averaged 8.4 for the past 4 fill ups (according to this little app I have on my phone) and that's been mostly highway driving.

The 8 litres were my average for this afternoon over 379km. Pure autobahn driving going as quickly as possible. Hard to say what it'll consume at what speed because you'd need a perfectly level stretch with no wind etc - the average over a longer trip cancels all that out.

Also, silver and white Octavias are used as undercover cop cars around here. :D

Usually black/dark blue 5series and E-classes over here.

Last edited:
I guess at 115 km/h average that's a bit better. But you should have gotten a larger engine for that kind of weight. My dad can average about 2 litres lower on his Germany trips with his 2.0l TFSI. How heavy is it?

1355kg. Weight is unimportant for maintaining a certain velocity, only matters for accelerating in any direction.

If I stick to 100kph then I can consume a lot less as well :tease: averaging 115kph is a lot. This is the exact route I took from petrol station to petrol station :lol:

On the way back down on Sunday I'll probably have all the time in the world. Maybe I'll have my own little economy challenge :)

Was that 8 litres while you were doing 175? If not, that's quite high. My 1.8 litre petrol has averaged 8.4 for the past 4 fill ups (according to this little app I have on my phone) and that's been mostly highway driving.

o_O

liters you've sipped in X 100
divide result with number of kilometers you've done with last tank
= average consumption :)

we don't need no coughdumbcough iphone applications.. :p

Well, it tracks my fuel expenses per litre, per km, how the prices change and shows me little graphs for everything. :p

I guess at 115 km/h average that's a bit better.

A little clarification on the average, it takes the kilometers driven and the aggregated time the ignition was on to compute it. Hence it's a very conservative estimate. Noticed it when I looked at the images of the figures, took two of the driving time while the engine was off, and the timer did increase between two images :blink:

liters you've sipped in X 100
divide result with number of kilometers you've done with last tank
= average consumption :)

we don't need no coughdumbcough iphone applications.. :p

Well, it tracks my fuel expenses per litre, per km, how the prices change and shows me little graphs for everything. :p

Tried applications like this? It's available in English as well.

Here's the images I left in the car yesterday, for those who want moar figures :nod:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/02/19/P2180003.JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/02/19/P2180004.JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/02/19/P2180005.JPG
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/02/19/P2180007.JPG

I love the white lighting :banana:

Last edited:
New octy is a very handsome car i think, great choice.

Yeah I like it too, although 1.4 still sounds small. I've driven the 2.0 TFSI and that has a fair amount of poke but it's hard to judge from that. Are you planning on changing the wheels? I can't stand black wheels on a light coloured car. :D

Both my summer and winter tyres are on black steelies right now. For the summer tyres there's the silver plastic wheel cover, doesn't fit on the winter wheels. I don't really see the point in ruining nice wheels during the winter :? and right now I have no plans for getting some nice wheels for the summer set. We'll see in the summer :)

Consumption's on the way down now that it's properly broken in :) for about 920km from Sunday to today it used exactly 7.00l/100km (33.6mpgus, 40.4mpguk), 90% autobahn :driving:

That's more like it. :p I got down to 7.8l/100km on the last tank (35 mpguk, 30 mpgus).

About a litre less than mine. Got a lot less with the Carisma GDI, though. That engine is too small for the weight of the car. You'd get better with a larger engine, albeit having to pay more initially. Dunno when if at all it would reimburse.

*shrug*

That engine is too small for the weight of the car. You'd get better with a larger engine, albeit having to pay more initially. Dunno when if at all it would reimburse.

According to Skoda the next step up (160hp 1.8TSI) from my engine (122hp 1.4TSI) would need 5% more fuel on the combined cycle, 2% more highway - which is what most of my driving has been.

Difference in list price is 1600?. At 1.4?/l you'd have to save 1142l. At an insane fuel saving of 0.5l less per 100km it would pay off after 228400km. That's a lot, especially when Skoda themselves say it consumes more than the 1.4TSI.
The average I paid per litre so far is 1.344?/l, so you'd have to drive even further to pay it off.
Oh, and then there are taxes. 8? a year more for the extra 0.4l displacement. 30? a year more for the extra CO2. Over ten years that'd be 380? more, or another 271l, or another 54200km at the insane 0.5l/100km saving. Not going to happen.

PS: Same power output from my 1.4 as your 1.8GDI in the Carisma :)

Last edited:
Love this wagon, the design is so classic and distinctive, it's got an executive feeling to it.

Are you doing it yourself?
Is that a kit from Ebay? :D I've found some there , and I'll have to buy them for the Dacia, because otherwise my Sister won't be happy about it.

Greetz

Hooray for the Octavia! I see your trip computer is as hit-and-miss as mine!