Votes: 121 20.0%

Votes: 47 7.8%

Votes: 21 3.5%

Votes: 6 1.0%

Votes: 8 1.3%

Votes: 5 0.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Underscored for me: all these opinions and thoughts prove just how hard it is for Wilman & Co. to please/placate such a wide-ranging demographic. Seems no matter what the boys do...

(Not putting down, nor invalidating anything anyone has written, keep in mind. I'm defo a champion of "To each, his own." And, of true fans having the right...almost an obligation to not only rave, but also criticise and see the weaker points in productions that they enjoy.)

Last edited:
I can see people liked this episode more than I did, as I only gave it 6/10.
I really loved the Icelandic volcano bit, I found it surprising, exciting (who thought this artisanal tyre-cooling device would do the job ? I didn't ...) and very poetic. James is definitely my favourite TG host, he's far more versatile than Jeremy for instance. And as you're all saying, he showed he's got balls of steel :)
And my biggest laugh was James being told that he could drive on hot lava ... if he drove fast ! His face just melted :) ...

Otherwise I didn't really like the episode. The Bentley review didn't move me (maybe because I dislike the car itself), and Jeremy's nonsense with the Reliant was just too predictable. Jeremy + three-wheeled car + crash helmet + rollcage ... :D

Still, it doesn't mean I don't like Top Gear anymore. I'm just even more excited to see what's coming next time !

PS - oh and unlike you guys, I actually missed this "season preview clip" you all refer to as 'spoilers' ... :)

Did anyone catch the introduction of the stig? Top Deer ring a bell?

I liked this episode, it was better than most of Series 14. I thought they were trying a bit too hard with the artsy stuff in the Bentley segment, but the rest was great.

- SIARPC, except Amy Williams,
- No teaser,

but I liked everything else.

Did I just watch an episode of Top Gear 5 minutes ago? I can't remember.

Ok, I liked the volcano part and the reliant thing was funny, at first, but went on too long. I have no idea who any of those "famous" people were, but I guess you have to be from Britain.

Last edited:
You know that part in the Reliant section when Jeremy says "cue the music"? What other times have they used that music? I know they definitely used it before, can someone tell me specific episodes? Thanks!

Its the theme from the 80's show, "The A Team." Always accompanied by a "building the solution" montage or in the throws of certain victory. They've used it many times before.

As for the episode, James' bit on the Volcano seemed like half a segment. A great idea, but not really fleshed out. The Bentley segment relied too heavily on editing.The reliant episode was silly, and a good end short. SIARPC ran too long... punctuated by the fact that the Iceland video was too short. And, yeah, what was up with that family video? Nice, sentimental, but it didn't go anywhere.

Overall, all the pieces were there, but it didn't seem to have the level of commitment from the hosts as journalists that was the hallmark of the previous cycles.

Last edited:
As for the episode, James' bit on the Volcano seemed like half a segment. A great idea, but not really fleshed out.

That's the part that bugged me too. I liked the segment, but it seemed so short and kinda rushed. Compared to the Polar Special, it wasn't very memorable.

Finally Top Gear is back. I was a bit disappointed with the start. It was just "over the top" - why do they have to fit in these stupid boxers. I really don't get it. Just let Jeremy drive and it'll be fine. The rest was pretty nice.
Certainly not an epic episode of Top Gear but good enough. The start really ruined it a bit. I am expecting just one bit of decent track action. I don't think I am asking for too much...

Hilarious episode... I liked the Reliant segment, also I liked the Volcano bit. And the filming job of the Bentley was fantastic. I ffwded through the celebrities in C apostrophe D segment, cause as being from Czech Rep. I don't know any of the people presented there... so it was absolutely boring for me...

For those of you who don't know who Bill Bailey is, look on the internets for a show called Black Books, or almost any episode of QI.

I gave it a 9/10

I really liked this one.

The Bentley segment was perfection. Brilliant camera work and effects.

The James May/Iceland bit looked great in HD but it was a bit short. Maybe they had to evacuate?:lol:

SIARPC: I like the new Cee'd but I have no idea who any of the people are that came to the track. Fun to watch though.

The Reliant segment was funny! Yes, it was heavily scripted but at least it wasn't presented as something it wasn't. It never felt like they were trying to fool you into believing it was real as in the past. Who doesn't like to see a Reliant roll over?

I am very happy to see a more serious Top Gear. I know they were joking about it throughout the show but they really do need to focus more on what they know and love. Cars.

A solid 8/10 for me.

Personally, I would have scrapped the Lacetti funeral and extended James' Icelandic adventure. But the episode was enjoyable enough as is. The balance of seriousness and silly is much better than series 14.

As a second thought, I must say that during the entire episode I did feel everything was compressed, I'm not saying everything was too short but Imagine how long the show could go on if the viewers were shown every interesting thing they catch on camera. I bet James's part could have been a full hour without any problems. And some TV shows over here would have made the lacetti funeral into an hour long show. All these things fitting inside a one hour show just tells us how much gets clipped out. It's too bad because i'd watch it all.

So many cynics here now. nothing but "meh"s or "same old same old" or"too scripted blah blah blah"

Am i the only one that is immencely happy that it is simply back on the air?

The bentley bit was good. boxer stuff was a bit much but it was enjoyable. L'edMAO at Stig and the vuvuzleas
News was rather funny
Iceland bit was brilliant. James has balls, giant really really brave balls
Lacetti send off was fairly touching, could have used a better explosion
Cee'd BBQ was just short of desent although by the end i wanted to hate crime that gay guy to death. what a raging douchebag

Ok now to the reliant part. I laughed my ass off. the whole time.

Clarckson's constant crashing mearly proved the point of how absurd that car really was. even the enthusiasts knew how ridiculous it was. "Use a bag of cement in the passenger seat so you wont flip over" If i had a reliant robin i would roll that bitch all the time on purpose. plus Jeremy speaking in a northern accent is very entertaining.

This episode is a solid 8. for a series opener it cant match the sheer epicness of 13x01 but it was better than almost all of series 14

Thank God Top Gear is back because I missed it so much. And what an awesome comeback this was. I loved the Bentley segment, truly beautiful photography, the news were a really good mixture of real news with funny bits, the journey to the volcano was interesting, the Lacetti goodbye was okay, the new RPC and the stars that premiered it were even better than I thought, but the best part was the Reliant. I laughed my ass out everytime Jeremy rolled over on the Reliant. I don't care if it's staged, seeing Jezza rolling over on a three-wheel car made my day.

- News wasn't interesting nor funny, they were SO WRONG saying that the 599 is the fastest production car cos it's not and it's like several months old news

I don't think you were paying attention. They clearly said it was the fastest production car around the N?rburgring, which it is (the two Radicals that are ahead of it can't really be considered production cars).

gonna give it 9/10, had fun watching it, don't have any idea what's all the moaning about.