Votes: 121 20.0%

Votes: 47 7.8%

Votes: 21 3.5%

Votes: 6 1.0%

Votes: 8 1.3%

Votes: 5 0.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I gave it a 7 due to the amount of recycling from previous series and said recycling was weaker than the original.

Bentley Continental Supersport - JC's review of the Bentley Brooklands was better. He blew out a tire in that one, as well.

Volcano - Excellent work. HD played up the cinematography and no cocking about.

The News - actually had news, which was a pleasant surprise.

SIARPC - They did it far better with the Lacetti's "group inauguration", IMO.

Reliant Robin Review - Forgive me, but I laughed hard.

I want to say the Vietnam episode.

Anyway, good episode. Maybe, 7/10.

They used it in the Bolivia episode as well, when the SUVs were elevated (well, two of them).

They used a different version for a different purpose in the 100-Pound Car Challenge.

I gather the A-Team theme is their "go-to" music for whenever they have to make modifications to project cars. I do find it annoying, though, because they don't have the second-use rights and the replacement music they use for the DVDs and rebroadcasts on BBC Canada is almost always crap.

Anyway, the episode:

Bentley review: the boxer and the flame-stick dancer are supposed to evoke power and flash, but as an experiment in storytelling I'd call it a dud for the subject under discussion. Call this segment a 6.

James and the Volcano: that worked very well, but probably could have been longer. I'd rate it a 9.

News: meh. Then again, news is always meh.

Death of the Lacetti: the Mazda bit was well thought out, but honestly burial at sea in the South Pacific would have been more appropriate.

RPC Barbecue: Well, I would've liked to have seen Simon Cowell or Jay Kay, but the collection was pretty good. To understand the Louis Spence guy, you'd have to have seen this clip:

Incidentally, Louis writes about his driving the Kia here, and getting the invite here.

And it turns out the guests weren't allowed to eat anything the two cooked up anyway, according to the Sun.

Still, I think it's on a par with the tea party they held when the Lacetti was inaugurated, so I'll give it an 8.

The Reliant segment: Good bit of history, disappointed that they made no reference to their attempt to launch one into space, a couple too many crashes. Call it a 6.5.

All in all, not a bad start.

The Stig listening to the Vuvuzula was funny, as was cutting in to the lap with the Hyundai commercial. The rest of the episode was completely unfunny and contrived, contrived, contrived.

I gave it an 8. The Bently was alright (the boxer was annoying though) the good bye for the Chevy was "meh", James bit was great, the new car sucked (though who was that gay guy?) and I loved the bit with the Robin, maybe a few minutes too long but overall my favorite part.

Really enjoyed the episode. James going up the volcano was absolutely brilliant. Need more of this type of stuff! The vuvuzela during Stig's power lap was a nice touch, although [insert vuvuzela here] videos are all over the place right now. Still very funny, though. And I enjoyed the Reliant Robin segment as well. Reminded me of the Peel P50 bit from a few season's back, although I think it could've been a bit shorter and with a few less rollovers. Still really enjoyed the Robin segment, but think they pushed that rollover joke just a bit too far and too many times and some restraint might've made that segment even better. Overall, really enjoyed it as always!

Too much, FAR too much, SIARPC. Or maybe the length was good, but the quality wasn't there. Otherwise, though, excellent effort with excellent results. I would have cut SIARPC in half, and given the rest of the time to the Cool Wall.

Oh Cool Wall, Cool Wall, where the heck have you gone?

And many thanks to the folks who put James May's segment together! It was simply stunning in every aspect.

Last edited:
I thought it was really good, that final shot from James' segment was the most beautiful one so far, with the volcano and the airplane taking off in the background. Jeremy's Reliant segment was classic. My only complaint is that Peta Todd was over dressed, they should of had in a bikini.

It was good! Could it be that Top Gear is having a second wind!

Dude, James May has lost some serious weight...

I thought it was rather good. The Volcano visit was very interesting, though could have focused a bit more on the modifications they made to the car, and the Reliant was rather funny, if like jasonof2000 said, a bit too long. Overall, though, I enjoyed watching it, and it served as a great way to bring hope to a new series.

Good to see a proper car review, even if he didnt like it. As always the cinematography was excellent.

The volcano segment was madness! Wish it was longer but also glad the rest of the Hilix didnt catch fire. Haha.

And forgive me but I also thought the Reliant bit was hilarious. Yea you knew he'd roll over on every turn but it made me giggle every time. Poor Jeremy was probably sore for days.

Love Bill Bailiey, didnt know who Loius was but he was funny.

"Im 50 years old, on my side, on a street in Shefield".

I liked it. It feels like Top Gear. I dont get all you boring, boring people yapping about shit being predictable... Football is predictable. Guys kick ball, ball goes in net. Its always the same thing, but we still watch it dont we?
I laughed with many bits of the show, was awed by James on the volcano, perhaps the guests in the new launch of the RPC could have been more and better known.... and for that matter they could get something better for 14k, right?
The reliant robin part was good. I think it was mostly there to shut the fudge up all of you people saying Clarkson just does the talking and then gets stuntmen to do everything else for him. There you go, a 50 year old man with a bad hip flipping cars just for your amusement. But nothing's ever good for you is it? When you become cynical about something it's very hard to go back.

Looking forward to the next one. As long as there are new cars coming out, I hope there's a Top Gear.

Guest extravaganza - worked mostly well. Page 3 girl was unknown and unneeded.

Maybe she was suppose to serve a similar purpose to the Well Spoken Man?

What happened to the series teasers they have on the show?

That's what I want to know.

There wasn't one for S14 because they weren't done filming everything yet. Was it the same here, or could they just not be bothered with one? Or was it just too packed with stuff? (The Reliant Robin thing could've been trimmed down a bit, I thought.)

Did anyone notice the copyright on the show was MMXX (2020)?

Yep! :D

Dear Richard,

For the love of all that is sacred, get a proper haircut. James May's spaniel look actually looks far better than...whatever the hell it is you're going for.

Love,
A not-a-dude

I think I have more of an issue with how it was styled than the length this time. Done as it was made him look much older.

Anyhoo. I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I don't like the Supersports, and -- to me -- Jeremy's review of it was a bit lacklustre. The Hilux-on-the-volcano film was shot and edited beautifully, and I agree James was quite brave for driving it up there, but I didn't really see a ton of point to it. (James being all nostalgic made me consider watching the Polar Special, though.) The news... not bad, but it seemed like Richard was a bit disjointed, like he wasn't all there. Or maybe he was on drugs? Kia. I figured it'd be something from the Pacific Rim (though I was thinking Proton). The barbecue was a bit meh. As for the Reliant Robin film? Meh. Though couldn't they have had a Vandenbrink Carver in the studio instead?

Next week's looks better, though.

In completely unrelated news: SKYLOCK'S BACK! :D

I rather enjoyed the lot - especially James in Iceland. When they go to further modify the hilux, I expected A-team music; and because I expected it, it was a bit of a lolsome surprise when it came later. 8 overall, watched it twice already!

I'm just happy it's back. Great watch, had some laughs (JC leaving the BBQ for that reason). Ahh, never gets old. Wasn't perfect tho. 8/10

The Bentley, I thought it was plenty good although the boxer/firedancer clips sort of threw me off.

news I thought was great, Jeremy is the first guy I know to spot the penis in the 599XX's pic, lol

Volcano was very good, I wouldn't have my window open like that and it had to be slightly worrying when his tire was actually on fire. LOL'd when jeremy asked james about being near the gulf oil refinery afterwards.

I never really got the ITV gag because I haven't been watching the world cup, laughed at the vuvuzela though.

RPC/SIARPC, I never recognized any of them but overall it was alright, I was laughing here and there. never expected a fire.

I thought about finalgear during the reliant segment, But genuinely laughed at the sheer amount of roll overs. you'd be surprised how many other shows wouldn't put their host into those kind of situations involving "real" crashes. really really never expected him to roll into a river, LOL'd there.

I liked last season but this episode is a solid 9 from me.

Outstanding opening to the new season!

Iceland could have been extended much longer, more about the truck, the water system, more testing around the volcano, more storm, etc. However, it was excellent as it was.

Bentley was interesting, standard supercar test, though the simile was indeed a bit odd...

Highlight was the Reliant Robin. First crash totally took me by surprise as I was still reminiscing about the Space Shuttle Robin. Popping a wheely was hysterical. Overall, it made me want one. Training wheels - perfect touch.

SIARPC was ... long. But they did great for its length of time. I'd love to see Angelina on the show someday. ...and Giada De Laurentiis

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I have mixed feelings about the Bentley segment. The review and cinematography were good, but I thought the boxer, fire stick dancer, and some of the other effects they cut into and over the segment were lame.

The SIARPC seemed to drag on a bit. At first I was expecting the Well Spoken Man to show up again. Also doesn't 14K seem kind of high for the Reasonably Priced Car? I think the Liana and Lacetti were both about 10K.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. It won't rank among TG's all time bests, but it was a decent season opener that made me laugh out loud more than once. I was going to give it an 8, but then I realized I had forgotten to add 0.5 for Amy Williams' rather impressive rear end. I had to round up one for that.:D