Votes: 18 4.5%

Votes: 15 3.8%

Votes: 13 3.3%

Votes: 4 1.0%

Votes: 4 1.0%

• Total voters
Oh, for the love of croutons...

<A rather weird and quite inappropriate analogy>

For one thing, if you, unlike some other people, don't see the difference, don't try to persuade them that there's none. At best, you're wasting your time.

Then, have you considered that some of us have never fully enjoyed any of the 'modern' clownish challenges because of their in-your-face predictability and lack of any sophisticated irony? Not even the first time. It's just fast food of television, and even if the ingredients are right, it's cooked so half-arsedly that you can hardly enjoy it.

I sound like a bit of a bore here, but I'm just being serious :p

They did think of something new -- you just didn't enjoy it for whatever reason.
Campers... did that already
Setting one of fire... did that already
Pushing one of their cars off a cliff... did that already
Building dodgy death traps and driving them around in heavy traffic... did that already

So I guess the new part is what? Because its different cars and slightly different settings? Its still the same gags.

Then, have you considered that some of us have never fully enjoyed any of the 'modern' clownish challenges because of their in-your-face predictability and lack of any sophisticated irony? Not even the first time. It's just fast food of television, and even if the ingredients are right, it's cooked so half-arsedly that you can hardly enjoy it.

Don't mean to direct this at you especially, but more at most of the people complaining about personal issues with the new series (e.g who the hell is the guest?): have you ever considered the idea that there are other people in the world, who, unlike you, enjoy the messing around? People who know who the guest is? People who don't particularly find a road test of some random hatchback interesting and would much rather see an expensive, noisy and good-looking car racing around a track? I'm pretty sure the average viewer who just turns on the TV at that time to see what's on (and probably makes up the majority of the viewers) is much more interested in the messing about rather than the roadtests. I'm also fairly certain that the average viewer will not be bothering to go online and download every single damn episode so that they can compare the series to what it was before, and so don't really give a damn about whether or not gags are repeated or not. Plus, please don't tell me that you'd much rather see them go on a holiday, build their own sensible and perfectly functioning motorhomes and watch them blend in with everyone else on the road, set up at the campsite, do whatever it is which might occur and then just leave? I'm sorry, but I just can't see the majority of the viewers attracted to watching such a thing.

Sorry, but it just sort of pisses me off reading how people badmouth TG just because of what they believe TG should be. They have to cater to the millions of viewers that they get, not a group of pissed-off people on an online forum illegally downloading their show complaining about how they should be properly sensible and review the new Mercedes A-Class rather than the Audi R8 V10 Spyder. Plus the BBC is publicly-funded, right? (I'm not sure on this) While it would be unfair to say that because you don't pay for the show, you don't get a say in what it does at all; at the same time, you are not the ones funding them; they have to do what the people who are paying them want, not what people downloading their show for free want. Judging from the number of viewers they get, I'd think that the current style of the show appeals to the general audience quite well. Might sound a bit hypocritical since I download it as well, but at least I don't go online straight after watching it and diss them for not doing what I want.

Plus another point, which I read somewhere back in this thread; last week, people were complaining about how they compared the Camaro to the E63, as they are not direct competitors and therefore it should have been more like Camaro V Mustang, yet this week, people complain about how they compared the R8 Spyder and the 911 Turbo Convertible, which are more or less direct competitors. What the hell do you want?

Ok feeling brave, erm... here goes.

Can I suggest that wasn't the Citroen that went over the cliff, but a prop?
The hydrogas and oil woulda made a nice mess of the beach.
It also explains the microscopic image of the Citroen when it plummeted into unfunniness.

If you want me, i'll be in my CP checking neg reps.

It's possible. They probably drained any fluids before pushing if off the cliff.

<A rather weird and quite inappropriate analogy>

It was totally apt. Long winded, perhaps, but apt. And lesbianism isn't inappropriate... this is the 21st century after all.

Then watch the old Top Gear eps, Fifth Gear or your region's regular old TV car shows instead. No one has a gun to your head.

(Apologies in advance if you are actually forced to watch TG at gunpoint)

Sorry, but it just sort of pisses me off reading how people badmouth TG just because of what they believe TG should be. They have to cater to the millions of viewers that they get, not a group of pissed-off people on an online forum illegally downloading their show complaining about how they should be properly sensible and review the new Mercedes A-Class rather than the Audi R8 V10 Spyder... Plus another point, which I read somewhere back in this thread; last week, people were complaining about how they compared the Camaro to the E63, as they are not direct competitors and therefore it should have been more like Camaro V Mustang, yet this week, people complain about how they compared the R8 Spyder and the 911 Turbo Convertible, which are more or less direct competitors. What the hell do you want?

Exactly. If Andy and Jezza looked to FinalGear every week for ideas about what they should do for the show, they'd shoot themselves in the head out of frustration. Of course, just because we're big fans (allegedly) of the show doesn't mean we're the target demographic. After all, we're nutty fuckers who feel compelled to actually write on the internet about each episode and have pissy little arguments about whether it was too scripted or not and how bad Richard's hair was - like we're discussing solutions to the Middle East crisis or third world debt. Crazy! Personally I reckon Andy and Co. hate us with a passion... which is why they instead focus on the rest of the 350 million people who watch the show and appear to enjoy the A-grade cocking about without worrying too much about whether it was scripted or similar to something from 5 series' ago.

Don't get me wrong; my love for TG isn't blind. When the show got really big worldwide and mainstream following Hammond's accident and they got into the non-car related cocking about ie. roadworks, tractors, etc. I thought it was a step too far. I'd much rather they seek out D-list celebrity car nuts who want to talk about cars rather than A-listers doing the publicity rounds to flog their latest project. But the cocking about is back to being car-based and SIARPC is only one small segment and occasionally they get someone interesting. It still makes me laugh out loud though, and really that's all that matters. It's entertainment. I don't think anyone watches Top Gear to get sound buying advice on cars normal people buy. If they do they're missing the point.

If you genuinely feel that TG's decline is a personal affront to your liberty then by all means write a letter to Clarkson with good grammar and correct spelling regarding your personal vision for the show. I'd be inclined to think though that he'll look around at the fortune he's made being a gigantic cock, and politely tell you to root your boot.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from creating your own car-based entertainment show. If you do get funding and network support, give me a hoi, I have a bunch of ideas for a somewhat more serious TG-style show.

Don't mean to direct this at you especially, but more at most of the people complaining about personal issues with the new series (e.g who the hell is the guest?): have you ever considered the idea that there are other people in the world, who, unlike you, enjoy the messing around?

No prob. As for me personally, I'm not trying to convert anyone, nor am I asking "wtf is wrong with you all". I understand the idea of different people enjoying different things. I simply state that I don't like it, and explain why. That one particular reply was addressed to wikkedsnaab who sort of tried to convince us that the show is brilliant as it is, no matter what.

It was totally apt. Long winded, perhaps, but apt. And lesbianism isn't inappropriate... this is the 21st century after all.

Nah, I meant that Top Gear isn't nearly as good as the supermodel thing :D Well, that and "munching away" doesn't sound particularly sexy, unless you're a massive Silence Of The Lambs fan.

Well, that and "munching away" doesn't sound particularly sexy, unless you're a massive Silence Of The Lambs fan.

I don't know what to say... you might want to check your technique.

;-)

Not that this dead horse hasn't been beaten to death enough already, but I just wanted to chime in one last time.

I can sum up all my complaints about recent TopGear into one thing. Because when it comes right down to it, I still love the show, even the stupid childish episodes/segments. My one complaint is how fake it feels occasionally. I don't mind the cocking about or the childish stunts or the scripting or anything else. It's just the occasional fake-ness that bothers me. They can rehash segments and running jokes all they want, so long as it is real. Or at least looks/sounds/feels real. But when it is so painfully obviously setup and fake... it's just tough to take. hey that rhymes!

I've said this before, but TopGear is the best car show ever made. Period. But they're slowly but surely moving away from being a car show and turning TG into a sitcom. And to be totally honest, it doesn't stand up well compared to pure comedies. Even if you made a montage of TG's funniest moments, it would still fall flat compared to a single episode of some comedy sitcoms out there.

I want TopGear to remain a documentary style car show, with all the sillyness, jokes, cocking-about, and all that. Just keep it real.

I can sum up all my complaints about recent TopGear into one thing. Because when it comes right down to it, I still love the show, even the stupid childish episodes/segments. My one complaint is how fake it feels occasionally. I don't mind the cocking about or the childish stunts or the scripting or anything else. It's just the occasional fake-ness that bothers me. They can rehash segments and running jokes all they want, so long as it is real. Or at least looks/sounds/feels real. But when it is so painfully obviously setup and fake... it's just tough to take. hey that rhymes!

I've said this before, but TopGear is the best car show ever made. Period. But they're slowly but surely moving away from being a car show and turning TG into a sitcom. And to be totally honest, it doesn't stand up well compared to pure comedies. Even if you made a montage of TG's funniest moments, it would still fall flat compared to a single episode of some comedy sitcoms out there.

I want TopGear to remain a documentary style car show, with all the sillyness, jokes, cocking-about, and all that. Just keep it real.
Quoted for the motherfucking truth!!!

This is exactly what grinds my gears (no pun intended) with Top Gear as well.

Last edited:
Yes I can approve of what Tomcat said. Occasionally over the top is ok but then there are bits like the wedding scene or caravans part II where you just know how it'll pan out. I don't mind the scriptedness of the show (of course it has to be scripted to some extent!), only when it becomes painfully obvious it causes me problems. And then I come here and read "oh haha that bit was soooo funny, 10/10!!!!", so I guess there is an audience for that ;).

I agree with TomCat too - the word fake-ness is spot on. I love it when things genuinely go wrong, and the guys' reaction to it (James laughing at Jeremy's camper was great) but the fire and the cliff and Richard's too-daft motorhome concept, it spoiled it for me a bit. However, I will say that Jeremy's reaction at the very end did seem quite genuine!

I was really looking forward to the motorhome segment (being a nerdy hobbyist adventure camper builder myself) and I was expecting plenty of cocking-aboutness, but it was a bit too much, even for me. I spent most of the time wondering what would have happened if Jezza's camper had tumbled over on the motorway and caused a huge accident!

On the upside I enjoyed the R8 v 911 segment and the news; I usually groan when they announce the SIARPC, but Andy Garcia was pretty good! I guess in the end it's all a bit academic as it's still the best thing on TV by miles, even if it doesn't always result in zen TG perfection.

Last edited:
Quoted for the motherfucking truth!!!

Absolutely. Not that I love the show any less than I did when I first started watching it, but I agree that they're overdoing it (trying to be funny) a bit more often these days than they used to. Some of the larking about with motorised items turned into cocking about just for the sake of it, which isn't as funny or entertaining.

I would give it a 7. The R8 vs 911 convertibles bit was ok (specially that V10 roar and James May's double!), and SIRPC with Andy Garcia was watchable.

The motorhome segment was pretty enjoyable at the beginning (specially when Jeremy's 3 storey Citro?n almost collapsed in the middle of the road!), but then the old scripted gags "oh no, the kitchen just caught fire" or "oh no, the car just fell from that cliff" ruined a bit, to be honest. As TomCat well said keep it more real, guys. Please.

PD: BTW, people in Spain really do watch and enjoy Top Gear, Jeremy! And in a forum they were sending mails to the show, guess we'll have to see if the guys say something about that :lol:

Solid 8. Good guest, good news, good stuff overall

R8 vs 911. well done. Man that blonde was smoking hot

Rv challenge. Hilarious. simply hilarious. the utter daftness of Jezzas tower and the sheer lunacy of Hamsters setup.

This season has been great so far. much better than the abortion that was series 14

And to all you cynics. i truly pity you.

It's still good fun but I am getting a bit bored. They really need some fresh ideas.

It's a credit to the show that what came across to me as the dark horse of the season was still fairly entertaining.

Tuned in a bit late so I missed half of the cabriolet test, but enjoyed it immensely (Eurofighter hard-top! Yes please!) The news was excellent and balanced, and the SIARPC segment was a warm and fuzzy bit of television (although, given that teaser clip, I won't go see his new film anytime soon.) However, I didn't really enjoy the campervan segment. The piece never seemed to get off the ground and do something zesty with its premise. As someone who has stayed in a campervan, I'd like to see them try to address some of its inherent drawbacks other than the lack of space. How about a nicer way of getting rid of waste? As proved by James's escape chute, aiming high and falling low is a lot funnier than aiming low and getting low.

That said, there was still plenty to enjoy in the piece. Even at some of the more predictable bits I had to let out a guilty chuckle. I especially like Jeremy screaming in very real terror at how unstable his creation was, and a rather nice moment when the chaps enjoy their liquid supper and watch the sunset. I can imagine that bit was both very genuine and enjoyable, reminiscent of them looking at the views in Vietnam and Botswana... Only colder.

Gave it a 6 because it was still a good use of an hour, and I was eating a fantastic curry at the time. Looking forward to Sunday!

I believe we're expected to rate each episode against all that came before it and then vote how we feel is appropriate, but for me it's a bit tough to remember all of them. So I tend to fudge...

For me, a "10" is easy - it has to be as good as or better than 12x01, which I feel was the pinnacle of the series. I have never laughed harder than during the "Cheap Lorry Challenge", Parkinson was a model SIARPC, and overall, the episode just worked perfectly for me.. Or the Vietnam Special, where they really came across as three good friends who share adversity.

While I have been handing out "9's" like candy for this series, I have admitted because it is I find this series so much better than 13 and 14. If I was more honest and more objective, my idea of a "9" would be something like 12x04 where the Economy race to the Blackpool Illuminations had me on the edge of my seat. Or 10x07 or 10x01. A true "8" would be something like 07x03 or 07x05, 04x01 or any of the more disastrous cheap car challenges (Porsche, Alfa, Mid-engined Italian supercar).

So the first four episodes should be 7's...maybe an 8 for 15x03.

Though I believe 15x05 was worthy of a 9 on it's own merits - no "charity bonus" was necessary,

Last edited: