Votes: 24 2.9%

Votes: 5 0.6%

Votes: 10 1.2%

Votes: 4 0.5%

Votes: 6 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
I cant even remember him from back then, never really watched F1 in the first place. So from my point of view they wasted a good budget on showing some F1 scenes.
Also, from what I saw, I'm not so sure if I would have admired him back then. The scene where he crashed his car into his opponents in the first corner just to win. Strategically a logical move, but far far away from fair play.

It was a different era. That's pretty much the whole story. Nobody reacting with fake shock-horror to everything that was even marginally out of line.

I hardly ever post on FG, but I had to log in to give this episode a 10.

The Senna piece was just amazing. The whole rest of the episode could've been Jeremy rolling around in a reliant (which I HATED by the way), and I still woud've been hard pressed to give the episode less than a 9.

More like this, Top Gear!

Edit: :lol: , never mind, I'm worse than "hardly ever" posting. I joined two years ago, but this is my first post

Last edited:
Just like with "proper" car reviews targeted at buying advice, real news just isn't what the majority of viewers watch Top Gear for. If you want news then the internet is a much better medium.

I don't mean they have to get all technical and nerdy or give buying advice, but they should at least give some facts and figures with their proper opinion on something before turning it all into a big joke fest. Season 13 and earlier was the last time I remember news being half decent.

While I'm ranting, the other main annoyance is the over editing with either constant cutting and changing of camera angles or music drowning out engine noises. For example in the Veyron SS speed run, it would have been nice to have silence or soft music just until he hits 300KMP/h with the camera facing ahead constantly showing the GPS Speedometer. It would give people a much better idea of the real acceleration and noise of the car.

To those of you who don't know who Ayrton Senna is...what are you doing on a car forum? Even if you don't like or follow F1 or any kind of racing, you must have at least heard of him.

Actually, I have never heard of him until it was revealed there would be a tribute to him this series. I also don't follow F1 or any sort of racing all that closely. It doesn't mean I can't and didn't appreciate Senna's film. And I do intend to, at the very least, read up on him.

Also, there are some people doubting the legitimacy of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz's laps. Lets not forget, they are big names and have done some serious driving in films before and will therefore have had some serious driver training, you don't just forget that kind of stuff. With that kind of experience, teamed with the Stigs tuition, I'm not at all surprised that they posted times as fast as they did.

Especially Cruise. (Days of Thunder, anyone?)

Andy Garcia (also very dry dialogue) and now Cruise and Diaz...is SIARPC now a plugging bit for Hollywood stars?

In his Sun column this past Saturday, Jeremy mentioned they originally had someone else lined up for SIARPC this week. Then they got a phone call asking if Cruise and Diaz could come on. (TC is, from my understanding, a fan of TG and has wanted to be on the show for a long time.) There was a bit of debate in the office, but they eventually agreed to the switch. The taping of the episode was moved from Wednesday to Thursday to accomodate them (the London premiere of Knight and Day was that evening).

Also, this is -- IMO, at least -- a case of TG benefitting from BBC no longer having a chatshow for them to go on. Jonathan Ross's show finished this month, and his new show on ITV hasn't debuted yet. Recall during Series 12 that TG benefitted from Ross's suspension for his radio antics (Parky, Mark Wahlberg, Will Young, maybe some of the others (though I think Harry Enfield and Boris Johnson may've come on anyway)). This would be a logical explanation for why Andy Garcia was on last week.

Another thing to remember is that ninety-something percent of all SIARPC have been on to promote something. Very few have been on there simply because they wanted to (Jennifer Saunders comes to mind straight away).

It looks like a "personal" project from Clarkson, no head no tail and shepherd's pie between.

Have you seen any of Jeremy's documentaries? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you rectify that.

Victoria Cross for Valour was very much a personal project (his father-in-law received it). Brunel, too, as Jeremy's had an interest in him for years and is a fan of engineering in general. Greatest Raid of All was conceived and made after Jeremy read the story of the St. Nazaire raid in a book. All three were, very much, "personal projects". I've seen the third doc, as have many here. I'm not a war history buff, but that story was, and is, very fascinating and riveting. (I still need to d/l the other two.)

Last edited:
Well, I'd say this is the first 10/10 in this season. All the rest was 9/10 for me so far. Great Season, and with the Italia Review coming up I can't see the final Ep being any sort of bad...

I don't think I've ever seen something as touching as the Ayrton Senna film. Just for that Jeremy deserves to be considered one of the best motoring journalists that ever existed. Period.

The episode to recommend people to watch. Stars people actually know and heard about, cars (yea, including the Touareg, but the Super Sport is ^^), F1 (can we have a WRC one next?), news that is entertaining on its own. Those who pick 9/10, nit picking, but there's no perfection. For me, 10/10, the one episode that proves motoring shows are not boring and infomative.

I don't get people anymore. Here you are presented with a good mix of a lot of things, and giving it a 6 or 7?

"Oh I don't like off roading so the Tuareg bit was boring
News were meh like always.
The stars in a rpc were forced and too famous.
We've seen the Veyron bit before, now it was just faster
I'm not a fan of racing, so I didn't care for Senna"

Why the hell do you people watch Top Gear?? Its a show about cars, and then you come here comment about how you dont like cars and racing.

I just don't know, if that episode didnt deserve a 9 or a 10 then nothing does. You must be expecting that the guys drive to the top of Mt Everest, hit a button and ignite the rocket boosters, land on the moon, make some jokes and do powerslides in 0 gravity or something.
24 people under the 7 mark. It just smells like trolls.

I have to agree with mpicco, this place is starting to look like 4chan. Its hard to please everyone people. Still, look at the improvement this season!

I'd say that TG is on its way up!
Its got that "lets watch that again sometime" feel to it.

10/10

10. I don't mind the snow part, it was fine, It would have gotten a big ol 8 even with the great parts if richard would have lost. I tire of the guys always losing in those. It was nice for a change. The veyron segment was just amazing. Much passion. The interview was great even if it had Cruz, who i don't mind as an actor but he just comes off as fake but that's not top gear's fault. The lap was amazing. The film was epic, and I didnt even know the guy until this episode, I never watched racing growing up except for maybe a couple nascar things which got boring fast. However I always have had a passion for cars.

Really, really enjoyable. Frankly, I even enjoy the cringeworthy episodes because I am a true fan and not some complaining wanker (of which there are many, and they all need to do something more productive with their lives than come here every week and moan like assholes). But this isn't the time to waste on them.

Richard's bit was solid. Good suspense at the end.

James's was absolutely grand. He does seem to be coming into his own, recently, and to have a new first place on the board (and for it to be the Veyron) is just smashing.

I was slightly concerned about the Diaz/Cruise bit. Yes there was a clip (I also disapprove of clips), but honestly, it was a really good clip! (Unlike Andy Garcia's which was cringeworthy.) Actually makes me want to go see that flick, even though TC is one of the biggest jackasses in Hollywood. Anyway, it's wasn't a great interview, but Jeremy's sense of enjoyment, and their enthusiasm carried the day. And to top the leaderboard for a second and third time in one episode was terrific.

The Senna film was just great. I'd love for Jeremy to be making more serious (and un-serious) documentaries in the future. He really does a fine, fine job when he's of a mind to do so and when the topic is meaningful to him.

Since we can't rate any 11's, I feel I must reserve my 10's for the big films (Botswana, North Pole) where so much group effort is expended, I must give this one a 9, but possibly the best studio episode yet. Bravo.

:clap:

heads up for UK people, the last chance to see the full ep on british TV is coming up in ten minutes.

Really, really enjoyable. Frankly, I even enjoy the cringeworthy episodes because I am a true fan and not some complaining wanker (of which there are many, and they all need to do something more productive with their lives than come here every week and moan like assholes). But this isn't the time to waste on them.

Richard's bit was solid. Good suspense at the end.

James's was absolutely grand. He does seem to be coming into his own, recently, and to have a new first place on the board (and for it to be the Veyron) is just smashing.

I was slightly concerned about the Diaz/Cruise bit. Yes there was a clip (I also disapprove of clips), but honestly, it was a really good clip! (Unlike Andy Garcia's which was cringeworthy.) Actually makes me want to go see that flick, even though TC is one of the biggest jackasses in Hollywood. Anyway, it's wasn't a great interview, but Jeremy's sense of enjoyment, and their enthusiasm carried the day. And to top the leaderboard for a second and third time in one episode was terrific.

The Senna film was just great. I'd love for Jeremy to be making more serious (and un-serious) documentaries in the future. He really does a fine, fine job when he's of a mind to do so and when the topic is meaningful to him.

Since we can't rate any 11's, I feel I must reserve my 10's for the big films (Botswana, North Pole) where so much group effort is expended, I must give this one a 9, but possibly the best studio episode yet. Bravo.

:clap:

I agree. James seems to be really getting the hang of his segments. The Porsche Spyder review was good, as was the Veyron. He is a nice change of pace from the other two when it comes to super car reviews.

I can not believe the show keeps getting better. This episode was without a doubt one of the best I have ever seen. The ending piece about Senna was simply spectacular! I felt tons of emotions watching it.

Top Gear said:
*Touareg part*

Entertaining. Maybe a 5.

Top Gear said:
*The news*

Peugeot jokes :lol: 7.

Top Gear said:
*Veyron SS*

Holy...crap...that's...fast. 8.

Top Gear said:

I loved it. Stars talking about cars? Jeremy having a "crisis"? Hell yeah, another point: 9.

Top Gear said:
*Senna tribute*

...no comment. :cry: If I said that I'm not a Senna fan after watching that, I would lie.

My rating goes UP TO ELEVEN. 11/10.

Yeah it was pretty good.

9/10, I didn't like the way they cut the footage of Hamilton in the McLaren, it was too choppy and all over the place. It's a very small criticism I'll admit, and otherwise it was an extremely good way to spend an hour and a vast improvement on anything I've seen in the last two or three seasons.

I also feel Clarkson is at his best when he does serious documentaries, such as Motorworld, The Greatest Raid, this Senna tribute, etc. I'd love to see more of them.

I wonder what the TG producers think of our "little" reviews of this episode. The general consensus here is the tribute was a great success and I hope the producers know that we do appreciate it :)

Obviously I was one of the few that did not find the ep special. The race was a bit of a deja vu that had very little feeling of being pristine and seemed like nothing but a bunch of shots of Richard yelling and those two guys doing stunts edited together for entertainment (with too much shaky close ups for that matter). Veyron also nothing really special, just May with a faster Veyron this time. Impressive time on the track. Guests were fun but I will never understand how people find Cameron that beautiful. Senna part was informative. I understand better now why so many put him on a pedestal.

Last edited: