Votes: 24 2.9%

Votes: 5 0.6%

Votes: 10 1.2%

Votes: 4 0.5%

Votes: 6 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
The Senna film was just perfect, no other word.

Cruise and Diaz interview was good, but kinda awkward at times (probably because Jeremy dreamed about Cameron for years :D). And all you fags saying Cameron is ugly need to hand over your man cards, NOW! :p I wouldn't have been surprised if Jeremy actually jizzed himself while she was doing donuts in the Jaaaag. :D

Veyron SS film was very much like the first time James took the Veyron on Ehra Lessien, but better.

Tuareg vs. snowmobiles was on par with Richard's previous race against the skiers (but not as good as the original RS4 vs. climbers.)

Perfect episode? No. 9.7 rounds up to a 10, though. ;)

Last edited:
Huge F1 fan here, I was honestly halfway to tears during the F1 segment. By far the best driver ever.

review

review

hm.. I'd say 8/10 personally. The SIARPC ruined it for me a bit.. as I quite dislike Cruise and am not a fan of Diaz either.. but it wasn't terrible.

Everyone's saying they didn't like Hammond's race, but for me that was one of the best parts.

The Bugatti Veyron bit bothered me a lot because Top Gear continues to omit the Shelby Supercar from the show. I know it's American and all, but it really should have been pitted against the Veyron to see which won. Shelby claims to have the fastest car in the world.

The last bit about Senna was interesting and well-produced. I didn't get emotional about it, but it was a nice departure from the usual TG fair. I preferred the previous episode though.. definitely has been a fantastic season of TG so far.

A Ferrari 1-2 and now TG delivers. I'm in my happy place.

Are you completely retarded? Did you not read the first post which simply asked to "Stay on topic please." ? Not everyone in the forums has watched the race yet genius... thanks for killing it for me before it even started.

superlatively mind-blowing, 10/10

I liked that Richard put his racing licence to use and actually won against the Anonymous Mad Sportsmen, which IIRC is a first for TG.
I liked that Jeremy got put in his place about the friction of ice.
I liked the new teacups. :-D
I liked the news.
I liked James' excitement about the Bugatti.
I liked that they got to put it round the track right away.
I liked Tom Cruises Fantasia on a Gambon Corner.
I liked that the lap record was broken twice in one show.
I liked the Senna video.
I wished for the show to end right after that video - which it did, and that
I liked.

So it could only have been a 10/10.

This was the best epidose of tg yet! I was only just born when Senna was at his peak in racing so I dont know much about him and never got to appreciate him. But that film was absolutely epic. Im speechless, this is why I love TG.

Brilliant ep, good job TG people, easily the best of this series!

Great episode sure.
Ice race was just boring. These types of races are the worst part of Top Gear. Simply put i don't like them.
News could have had more cars news, but the Peugeot thing gave me big laughs. :D
Everything onwards was all what Top Gear is at it's best. Btw i thought when they where talking about lapping Veyron Super Sport that it was just a joke and seeing it taking the first place with okish gap was as surprising.
Senna part was just amazing like said many times here already.

Lots of win for today.
One of the best Top Gear episodes i have ever seen and Christopher Nolan showed more win after Memento, Dark Knight and now Inception that i saw today. For sure in my top 3 favorit movies i have ever seen.

9.4/10... for the Top Gear episode, not the movie. :)

Last edited:
Alright...since I am the bitter, cynical smug bastard that I am, I have to throw down this challenge, especially for the so called fanboys:

I dare you to call ANY Top Gear episode made after this perfect, worth a 10 out of 10 score. I dare you to look back to the first 4 episodes of this season and if you still think they are perfect and deserving of the highest of ratings ?

I have been moaning, bitching, complaining and whining about the downfall of Top Gear for the past 3 seasons now and I had lost all hope. Just last week I mentioned this to frankiess; that I can not be bothered about the show anymore. It had gotten so bad that I actually turned off the wedding car episode before it was finished. And then came episode 5 of season 15....

I mean....damn. This was, and I am freighteningly honest here, what Top Gear does best. And not best as in great show. I mean best as in one of if not THE best episode of all time. Now what is up fof debate, but what is clearly not is that my faith has been restored. Just this single episode showed that the Top Gear team is still capable of making a genuinely wonderful entertainment show about cars, instead of just happening ot have cars in it. I don't know where to start, I am actually lost for words on this one.

The first segment with Hammond vs. snowmobiles - while the idea was a rerun yes, it has been a while since Hammond has done a silly challenge in something over the top versus "teenagers". And that is actually one of the few running gags which I find has actually worked, since it hasn't been overused and has always been made entertaining. And today was no exception. While nothing spectacular, it was a very good and soli piece with great cinematography BUT without the overly complicated music video styling which I have grown tired of AND on top it had little, tiny hints of Driving God'iness in it. I liked it, eventhough it was clearly set up in many places etc. It felt nice and not like a forced joke.

The news were fantastic, it has been a while since we have seen this boy'ish bickering and arguing among the trio, felt very genuine. May's joke seemed to actually be funny and something that was just made funny. See what I mean ?

Okay the pedal-Porsche was a bit...well, silly, but it was such a small clip and they, thank goodness, DID NOT make a huge deal out of it. Quick, painfree, out of the way. Next !

Now the Veyron....I was a bit scared beforehand because the Veyron has been on the show sooo many times and while I knew what this was about, I didn't think they could do anything special with it. Oh boy was I in for a surprise. They kept building up the hype with May's introduction, it had some actual information with the friction of the air stuff and also some ever so slight, yet funny comedic elements, like the endurance of the tires. It was very....well...James May. It was serious, yet lighthearted. Very entertaining, yet absolutely fulfilling. And dear lord the speed of the thing !! To see that speedo climb, it was never going to stop !! 200....250...300..350....when will it end ? It just kept going, and fast !! It is just mindboggling. And all this was again made very elegantly, the let the actual content of the film do the talking instead of some fancyass tricks. 414km/h.....woah....And it went to the top of the lapboard which I never in a million years thought could happen.

During the intro I had to collect my jaw from the floor twice, once for Diaz and once for Cruise. And they were funny !! They were actually funny, who the hell would have thought that two, perhaps the biggest starts the show has ever had, hollywood A-listers plugging a movie could be genuinely entertaining guests ? And yes, I also fell in love with Cameron Diaz, as lame as that is, she was gorgeous. I do question the laptimes a bit, but I was just in too good a mood by that stage already, that I simply could not give a rat's ass. To see Tom Cruise's childlike enthusiasm when talking about bikes and WWII fighter planes was simply wonderful.

Now by this point the show had already gone way beyond of what it had been since season 12. I was already satisfied with I had seen. But it was time to see the bit I was looking forward the most. I have seen Clarkson's documentaries before, his piece on "The Greatest Raid Of All Time" is perhaps the greatest, the most beautiful war documentary I have ever seen. I knew that he was capable of epic pieces when he really set his mind and, more importantly, heart into it. Just to make sure I had my expectations high, I am an avid F1 fan and consider Ayrton Senna to be the most complete racing driver ever to have lived.

And what followed can only be described in one very, VERY overused word.

EPIC.

Now who everthehell it was who said "Never heard of the guy".....you should be run over with a bulldozer. But this....my god. I would have been satisfied with "just" Jeremy doing his usual wonderful piece, think the Aston Martin V12 Vantage. But no....he got former racing drivers, current racing drivers, former world champions to give their takes on the matter. Martin Brundle's analysis was just wonderful and so genuine. But the most important thing for me was that this really was real. You could hear from Jeremy's voiceover, his tone and how he set his words echoed a real, genuine love for Formula 1, a real respect for Ayrton Senna and his mindboggling natural skill. And the ending....no jokes, no recap....nothing...just a simple good night. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how we do that.

This is what has been missing from Top Gear for two years now. For me this was more than just an excellent episode. For me this was a reassurance that the production team still have that flair, that spark which originally made the show great. This episode showed me that good things can still come from this poky motoring show from BBC Two. This is classic TG. This is what made the show great. This - for me at least, is what Top Gear, real, true, classic Top Gear which I love - should always remain. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole episode, this made me feel good. I felt like kid again. This was damn near moving. So much this means to me. Laugh all you want, make jokes, but you guys who gave the earlier episodes 10's.....you have no idea what you are talking about. Passion and soul are such overused words, in motoring especially. This had passion and soul in spades.

This was beautiful.

Thank you Top Gear. From the bottom of my heart. I thank you.

Last edited:
10/10
To the people complaing about the Veyron segment being the same - Its the same car, its the same piece of track.. Why? Because its probably the only place where they can max it out, they don't really have an option, so they kept it short and punchy.
News was fantastic, loved the 911 pedal car
SIARPC - Was actually funny for once.
Senna - is the reason why I no longer watch F1

I'm sorry, Cruise and Diaz had absolutely no personality. That whole interview seemed totally forced, and Clarkson had to suck up to them the whole time. WTF liking Cruise's bikes?! Give me a break. And there is no way in hell they had the two fastest laps. (I mean, I know they SAID they did, but I don't believe that for a second) Major disappointment.

That said, the Senna piece was easily in the top 10 of anything they've ever done, probably top 5. That saved the whole episode, because other than that and the (extremely short) news, this episode was a bit of a snoozer IMO.

Last edited:
The Bugatti Veyron bit bothered me a lot because Top Gear continues to omit the Shelby Supercar from the show. I know it's American and all, but it really should have been pitted against the Veyron to see which won. Shelby claims to have the fastest car in the world.

I get what you're saying, but they beat the Ultimate Aero by 10 MPH.

Alright...since I am the bitter, cynical smug bastard that I am, I have to throw down this challenge, especially for the so called fanboys:

I dare you to call ANY Top Gear episode made after this perfect, worth a 10 out of 10 score. I dare you to look back to the first 4 episodes of this season and if you still think they are perfect and deserving of the highest of ratings ?

Didn't read the rest of your rant, but got the idea. I've been berated and abused for criticising the voting principles of folk on this site. But you are of a similar standpoint to me. I've always argued that if the Polar Special, Veyron race and other great episodes are 10's, then surely there must be a lot of 6-9's when they do good, some 3-5 when things aren't so good, and even some 1-3'sfor when the get it all wrong (last week was a 3 for me, the previous this series were 4-6 at best) . Some people would give 10 to an hour staring at a portaloo if they thought Jeremy, James or Richard was the one making the noises inside !

Last edited:

So we could watch it lose? That'd be incredibly boring.

Plus Shelby certainly isn't going to let them borrow their car to pit it against a faster car, not to mention that's Volkswagen's private test track so they aren't going to let some other group of guys use it.

To be frank, the only thing the Shelby does good is go fast in a straight line. As the lap proved, the Bugatti does a lot more than go fast straight. ;)

I think it was perfect how it was.

Didn't read the rest of your rant, but got the idea. I've been berated and abused for criticising the voting principles of folk on this site. But you are of a similar standpoint to me. I've always argued that if the Polar Special, Veyron race and other great episodes are 10's, then surely there must be a lot of 6-9's when they do good, some 3-5 when things aren't so good, and even some 1-3'sfor when the get it all wrong (last week was a 3 for me, the previous this series were 4-6 at best) . Some people would give 10 to an hour staring at a portaloo if they thought Jeremy, James or Richard was the one making the noises inside !

Don't be an idiot. The question is "what score would you give it?". It's impossible to vote wrong. You may disagree with their votes, but that's another matter. The berating was for good reason. Knock it off.

Last edited:
Great episode, top to bottom. I thought the snow race was fine and fun, but once the giddiness hit during the news, the show just launched into another level. I couldn't enjoy an episode much more.

Top Gear often hit that balance of being overgrown kids sharing their sheer exuberance for what they're experiencing, and moments that are a bit more serious. And I never think the show phones it in, but you can tell when they truly go after a piece. The Senna segment is one you want to share with your friends who appreciate stellar storytelling about a compelling subject matter.

This episode was the best that I've seen in a long, long time. This episode made me feel like a 'car guy' again. The Senna film was amazing and the Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz interview actually worked, which was surprising. 10/10

Season 14 is forgiven, the art expo is forgiven, the hammereaglei-thrust is forgiven. Andy if you're reading this, and you're probably not, congratulations on a masterpice.

just...wow...this episode is without a doubt the most moving TG I've ever seen, I'm speechless and believe you me that doesn't happen every often

this chap sums it up pretty well
This. Is. Why. I. LOVE. Top Gear.

Screw the comedy. Screw the roleplaying. Give me real emotions. Give me Richard enjoying an ice lake. Give me Captain Slow going berserk in an insane car. Give me Jeremy being the best motoring journalist he can be with an ab-so-lu-te-ly brilliant piece of human interest.

Solid 10. Man! I have to rewatch this!

Last edited:
Reactions: LP