Votes: 24 2.9%

Votes: 5 0.6%

Votes: 10 1.2%

Votes: 4 0.5%

Votes: 6 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
You hit the nail on the head. What car do I know more about as a result of this episode?

None because you seem to have skipped through most of it.
If you wanna know about new cars you go and buy the magazine off the stand. It has all you need to know from prices to optional extras, inside leg room space, all the BORING stats about the capacity of the engine and the maker of the tyres.
THAT on TV is as fun as missing the nail on the head and hitting your own finger.
They did that in series 1 and 2, and there was a good reason for not doing it anymore. In fact, boring car reviews is probably what got old Top Gear cancelled... No car reviews on Top Gear will tell you which car is good or bad cos they always have humour and entertainment in mind, not information. How many times did Jeremy out of his own personal opinion bash a car down when the car as we all know is a fine product, like Seats because he is fed up with Spain?

Might I suggest 5th gear?

Edit*
Can someone help me track down and punch some trolls in here saying it was the worst episode ever since season 1... you know.. those with 2 posts and voting it 1.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;O9Y-mtihWiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Y-mtihWiI[/video]

They played this song during the Senna tribute, I think this really drove it home.

Actually I found the whole soundtrack to Senna's film was well done. It was a combination of Soundtrack music and Indie Rock. The one song that got me hooked was this:

The first segment with Richard and the Tuareg wasn't very good. Didn't like it at all. Don't know why...
But then it kept getting better. The Veyron was cool, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz were cool and then came Senna!
Wow. That was awesome. They mentioned a film for next year, anybody knows something about that??

This episode could and should easily have been 2hrs. Every single segment, apart from Hamster cocking about, was just perfect. Jezza and May were in their element, totally enjoying what they were doing and eager to tell us more, but there was no time. I've rarely seen the SIARPC be so into the car and at such ease with Jeremy, it didn't hurt that both are superstars. Couldn't stop smiling throughout!

How many times has TG ended without a 'and on that bombshell..' ? The only other time I can think of is the Aston ending with the credits playing over the film - that was epic as well.

Are we going to see more historical perspectives? I can't think of someone better than Jezza to do them, maybe Jezza+May.

They mentioned a film for next year, anybody knows something about that??

There is a film (more of a documentary) about Senna coming out in a few months, I'm guessing early next year or some time very late this year; it's made with the approval of his family and of Bernie Ecclestone, so it's going to contain a lot of footage that's never been seen before.

I have a friend who's an F1 nut, we're talking proper nut here, and he's always maintained Fangio is the best, due to his era and the deathtraps they raced in. I've got to show him this ep and ask for his thoughts on Senna.

How many times has TG ended without a 'and on that bombshell..' ? The only other time I can think of is the Aston ending with the credits playing over the film - that was epic as well.

Quite often, especially in the earlier serieseseses.

There is a film (more of a documentary) about Senna coming out in a few months, I'm guessing early next year or some time very late this year; it's made with the approval of his family and of Bernie Ecclestone, so it's going to contain a lot of footage that's never been seen before.

Martin Brundle mentioned it on the BBC's F1 coverage on sunday and said it's very good. He also mentioned that they've managed to used clips of Senna to make it seem as if Ayrton is narrating his own story, apparently it's quite strange but in a good way and is really powerful. Can't wait for it to come out.

I am so looking forward to this! Thanks.

About time we had a good movie about F1, I hope they show some footage of Senna talking to Fangio, they were very good friends and admired eachother. Each one said the other one was the better driver.
Looking very much forward to that. Jeremy gave it his approval without cocking about (unlike some of the music he recommends, being sarcastic) so it must be a good one indeed

I'm also hoping TG releases an extended sort of director's cut version of the tribute from the episode. I'm sure they have hours of interviews and more commentary from the Clarkson we'd all like, and pay, to see...

Last edited:
I'm also hoping TG releases an extended sort of director's cut version of the tribute from the episode. I'm sure they have hours of interviews and more commentary from the Clarkson we'd all like, and pay, to see...

Unfortunately no, it's pretty certain that Bernie charged them through the roof for the footage and they aren't allowed to show it any longer after yesterday's repeat.

For all those who think that Cruise and Diaz's times were fake - Andy has been reading
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10764117
Top Gear's executive producer is denying reports that Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz had their laps around the show's racetrack fixed.

Last night's programme saw the two Hollywood stars take the top two spots on the leader board.

Some Radio 1 listeners have been texting in to the Chris Moyles and Fearne Cotton shows saying the laps were faked.

Andy Wilman says that couldn't happen and the laps were genuine.
Armchair experts

He said: "We are listening to armchair experts who don't know a thing.

"They weren't there, they don't understand how laps are done.

"Their times were accurate, their times were truthful.

"It really saddens me that people who don't know anything can then sour the whole moment."

There are people with stop watches, there are cameras in the cars and we have people on the corners at each track to make sure nobody cuts the lines. You can't cheat basically

Andy Wilman Top Gear producer

A good episode and clearly one of the better Top Gear episodes in recent times. But I still have a number of issues that really bother me and hampers my score.

Firstly the race between Hammond and the snowmobiles was visually impressive and I liked the shots of both cars, but as a race was very very messy and scripted. Shortcuts being taken and going off track and taking alternate routes just made it seem very un-credible.

The news was also quite underwhelming and I didnt really like the joke about driving in summer as it was very cheap and shallow humour, while the whole muslim comment was unnecessarily and just creates controversy. (though it could of been intended) The citeron guy thing was pretty funny though due to May cracking up but either than that I found the news below average.

Now then! the Veyron SS, this was a segment I really enjoyed, and was great to see the Veyron back on Top Gear and rightfully reclaim its production speed record. Excellent footage of the Veyron and loved James excitement as he pushed it to the top speed.

Star in a reasonably priced car segment was very awkward and cringe worthy at the beginning. This mainly was due to Clarkson's awkward comments about being the perfect genetic humans or something. I mean what type of comment is that?? Though after that it did settle down and they were pretty good guests through most of it. Though Clarkson was definitely sucking up to them with his sudden interest in bikes and then onto american muscle cars, but then that is understandable as these are "big" celebrities. Though at least he remained true to his hate with the prius lol.

But I have some serious problems with Tom Cruises lap and really question if he actually got that time or that they footage shown was vastly different from the actual proper lap footage. I know lap footage is just a chopped up number of different lap attempts and one that provides a view that tries to represent the most accurate to the time that person achieved. But if I'm to believe that was the fastest lap, as I find it hard to believe that it was possible with a screwed up gear change approaching the follow through and then going off track before gambon, and then shortly after going onto two wheels while still achieving the fastest lap just doesnt seem right. After seeing the lap I quickly compared it to Jay Kay's lap back in series 11 and while the beginning was nearly identical after the hammerhead with very similar lines, the last few corners were a lot more messier with Tom Cruise. During the interview with Jay Kay, Clarkson was saying that he lost seconds due to doing it in the wrong gear for his practice laps which would of caused similar issues to Tom Cruise.

Anyway the final segment with Senna was excellent and a very nice tribute and felt like one of Jeremy's documentries. Good to see some seriousness once in a while and I really liked seeing them get a wide range of views and comments.

Anyway kinda of a up and down episode for me but still the Veyron SS and the Senna film made it pretty good. So I'll give it 8.5/10 and round it to 9.

Just saw this in the above linked newstory:

Tom Cruise helped an audience member who'd fainted during the show

Whaaaat?

Also, something that's really getting on my nerves in this thread is people using collective terms when expressing their opinions. "We all want more reviews." "That's not what we want." It's like they have to phrase their views as what the audience wants to make it sound more justifiable. Can people please remember when that they think is not necessarily a reflection of what the majority of viewers think, regardless of how much you want it to be.

Last edited:
Many people think that the lap you see on TV is infact the timed lap. This isn't necessarily the case. Check out some of the wet laps. Coming up to one corner the windscreen wipers are on and it's raining when showing the onboard, when entering the corner from the external camera it isn't raining at all.

Top Gear proves again (for the first time in a while) that it's great TV. What's the opposite of "jumping the shark"?

Riding the shark like a bitch then taking it home and eating it deep fried in beer batter with a side of chips.