Votes: 24 2.9%

Votes: 5 0.6%

Votes: 10 1.2%

Votes: 4 0.5%

Votes: 6 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.2%

• Total voters
To be fair, though, that was 10 years before they started using ground effect in F1 without using suction fans. :lol: And it took them 5 years and a literal war between the governing body and the constructors to stamp them out.

I personally view it as a sign of weakness in F1 - akin with NASCAR banning modern tech that doesn't fit their pattern.

Neither series contributes to street car R&D any more, but I digress.

Anyway, after that Senna tribute, they really should have Stirling Moss and Norman Dewis on - they're not getting any younger. And, yeah, a little hat tip to Jim Hill might be nice.

Unfortunately I'm not sure the general public really know who Norman Dewis is... and I put my hand up and admit that I didn't know it until I watched the Beeb's documentary about the 1955 Le Mans disaster.

A tribute to Sir Stirling would be better for the audience, I guess.

They've had more obscure Brits on, that's for sure. :D That said, yeah, Stirling Moss, once he recovers from his recent discovery that gravity is still operational, should be a guest.

Edit: Apparently the man has made an incredible recovery and was able to present Lewis Hamilton with the second place trophy at the British GP.... damn, that was fast. All the more reason to have him on!

Last edited:
Exactly this is one of the downsides of the great wide interweb, whether it be Top Gear, Films, Music actually the list is endless there are people who nit pick which is there right, I often use reviews be it for Music, Books, Films but at the end of the day what counts is what the thing does to me not somebody else as we are all different.

Whatever happened to watching Top Gear for fun, for entertainment, for switching off for 60 minutes in a world where there are no worries, a little me time ?????

Well said dude...reading some comments of the episode here and a few people tend to act all "meh" and indifferent to the amazing episode. I bet its just a front they put out but deep deep down, they know it was a genuinely superb episode :D

Great episode. I loved the part about Senna because it really gave him credit for his excellence. Other bits were great too.

Personally m a fan of fifth gear. But this season is horrific i must say. on the other hand this season of top gear is improved a lot. And m sorry to say that i had never rated on shows before, but this episode had such a grip, i never ever seen anything like this. It compelled me to present my feelings to top gear team. CONGRATS... This was not an ordinary show. Loved every part of it. Simply amazing....

Part of the reason is habit; I've just been watching it for so long now. An other part of the reason is that I still hope against hope that it will go back to being good again and I guess I don't want to miss it if it happens.

Certainly Fair enough. I was hoping for a response like that. I just kept thinking in my head, "If I dont like the show, I just dont watch it." Having said that, I am glad you are still wacthing.

Then there's the fact that I'm a member here at Final Gear and the release of a new episode of Top Gear is kind of a big deal and sort of hard for me to avoid and resist and that was true of this week especially, after I read all the comments here that were all so favorable.

And is exactly why I do not read these threads until after I watch it. I dont want other posts clouding what I think is an amazing show before I have a chance to watch it.

Thanks for answering. Like I said, just curious.

a very good episode. loved the Veyron. Senna film too long(i have never been a fan of his).

Certainly Fair enough. I was hoping for a response like that. I just kept thinking in my head, "If I dont like the show, I just dont watch it." Having said that, I am glad you are still wacthing.

And is exactly why I do not read these threads until after I watch it. I dont want other posts clouding what I think is an amazing show before I have a chance to watch it.

Thanks for answering. Like I said, just curious.
It is an excellent question though, and one I've been asking myself ever since you asked Austere: why do I still watch Top Gear?

I feel that pretty much everything Austere replied is valid for me as well. But other than that, surprisingly I can not really answer the question. I have a strong urge to watch everything car-related, and in a global context, Top Gear surely still is the best car show for me. My biggest gripe however is that it has lost quality it once had. It bothers me very much that they have altered their programme to a lower standard because that attracts a bigger crowd. This just contradicts my idea of how to make show: if you got everything you need, make it as good as you can. What they are doing however is making it as good as it has to be to be popular, which is a different thing.

So after all, I'm kind of caught between the stools here. I like it for what it is, but I wish there would be more effort again.

Last edited:
It is an excellent question though, and one I've been asking myself ever since you asked Austere: why do I still watch Top Gear?

I feel that pretty much everything Austere replied is valid for me as well. But other than that, surprisingly I can not really answer the question. I have a strong urge to watch everything car-related, and in a global context, Top Gear surely still is the best car show for me. My biggest gripe however is that it has lost quality it once had. It bothers me very much that they have altered their programme to a lower standard because that attracts a bigger crowd. This just contradicts my idea of how to make show: if you got everything you need, make it as good as you can. What they are doing however is making it as good as it has to be to be popular, which is a different thing.

So after all, I'm kind of caught between the stools here. I like it for what it is, but I wish there would be more effort again.

i dont feel that they are limiting the show to what you said "making it as good as it has to be to be popular" i think that once a show get so big you try harder. the last couple series was them trying to hard and it has served as a wakeup call. i think this series is getting back to normal for me. i view the last few bad epps as overreaction. i feel that they were trying to make sure they were being natural and trying to force it and in the process they actually got worse. i hope you guys can see what im trying to say here.

Any true petrolhead would know that the Touareg part was a VW PR exercise, know that James May did not hold the Veyron speed record, know that Cruise/Diaz were only there to promote a film, and already know about Senna and have see far better documentaries about his life and racing. That's why real petrolheads are voting low.

Exactly! Which is why I voted 1. (Yes it was me!)

Another reason why I voted 1 is because I think the vote says how good or bad I think it is in comparison to other Top Gear episodes. And if I compare this with some of the best episodes (e.g. 6x02) it's just very poor.

I don't know what in the name of all that's holy gave you the impression that the first piece was a PR exercise. You do realize that a car show, when it's more serious, gives out the car's specs while driving the car, right? It's probably not something you're accustomed to with Top Gear in recent times though. So when they do a (albeit brief) serious review of a car, you jump and say "PR exercise!"

Last edited:
Maybe another thing about PR exercise:
Since I work in the car industry and since my job includes analysing products like the Touareg I can tell you that the view out of it is pretty much the same in the new one like it is in the old one.

So when Hammond says everything in this car is better (including the view) it means the new Touareg is being promoted.
Top Gear used to be a show where they really took cars apart if they didn't like them (usually in a very entertaining way) and stuck to their opinion.
If they just show a bunch of pretty pictures and read out the figures it becomes like any other motor show.

Well they did need a good lead-in to the race itself and talk about the vehicle on which the vehicle used in the race is based, so a short review of the figures related to the car was used for that, I guess.

Ten rated shows for me tend to epic single events, like the polar trip, Vietnam and the USA trip. Season 15 is shaping up to be great.

Maybe another thing about PR exercise:
Since I work in the car industry and since my job includes analysing products like the Touareg I can tell you that the view out of it is pretty much the same in the new one like it is in the old one.

The Touareg was reviewed by Top Gear in early 2003, before VW replaced the rear center headrest -- the primary cause of rear visibility problems -- with a shorter version. In the new Touareg review, Hammond rattled off the list of things they didn't like about the Touareg that they reviewed seven years ago, not the much improved 2010 model.

So when Hammond says everything in this car is better (including the view) it means the new Touareg is being promoted.

Or, because he actually likes it. That's allowed, right? It's a car show, and it is actually a very good SUV.

Top Gear used to be a show where they really took cars apart if they didn't like them (usually in a very entertaining way) and stuck to their opinion.

"Used to be".... you sure you're watching the same show as the rest of us? Let's make sure, okay?: Remind us of what Jeremy Clarkson's opinion of the BMW X5 M, BMW X6, Audi Q7 V12 TDI, and Renault R26R were? Or how about the Perodua Myvi, Chevy Aveo, Proton Satria, Toyota iQ, and Porsche Panamera. These are all cars reviewed by Top Gear in 2009.

Simply the best episode ever

Simply the best episode ever

I would like to say that S15E05 was Top gear's best episode ever and I'm saying this after watching every single episode of top gear aired till now.

Simply 10/10.

Exactly! Which is why I voted 1. (Yes it was me!)

Another reason why I voted 1 is because I think the vote says how good or bad I think it is in comparison to other Top Gear episodes. And if I compare this with some of the best episodes (e.g. 6x02) it's just very poor.

Oh Lordy.

You're bagging this? Oh Lordy.

By your measure we need to set up an entire negative voting system for when you eventually work out how to download the first two seasons of Top Gear Australia.

As they say in the classics "You don't know how lucky you are son..."