[15x07] December 21st, 2010 [Special]

[15x07] December 21st, 2010 [Special]

• Total voters
It's apparently been known for a while amongst those who compete in higher levels of motorsport in the UK that Ben Collins is in fact the Stig. Some newspapers have also known about it but decided to keep quiet about it:

The Times, in a follow-up article, stated that the "identity of the white-suited Stig ... has been an open secret within the motoring world for some years, with newspapers refraining from publishing his name, to uphold the spirit of the programme.

I understand if the boys are disappointed that they can, in the spirit of a great TV show, keep the British tabloids silent but someone whom they consider a friend and that has worked towards the same goal (creating a great TV show) for eight years lets the cat out of the bag. The BBC didn't drop the ball, Ben decided to publish a book. Getting accused of being the Stig isn't harassment, it's an honor. What they did agree on is in the contract, which I don't think has become public so it's all guesswork. It didn't hold up in court though.

Keeping a contract-agreed secret isn't violation of freedom of speech. Should all retired generals be allowed to talk about secrets regarding national security? Should former Secret Service agents be allowed to write books about how the president is guarded? Please keep in mind that Ben wasn't even remotely close to creating anything Stig-like. There are hundreds of other talented race-drivers that could have done the job instead. He was actually lucky to get the job and I don't feel sorry for him a single second. He knew perfectly well what the concept was and that keeping the Stig a secret was important. The BBC has put a lot of money and effort into Top Gear and "The Stig" and deserve to keep its property. Analogie: Shouldn't Coca Cola be allowed to keep the recipe for their soda a secret, or can former employees that know what's in it be allowed to write "Coca Cola cook-books"? Just like Ben they didn't create anything, they just got the job.

Sure the boys has made a ton of money on Top Gear. And I'm sure that Ben (and his company Collins Motorsport, which has done lots of things for Top Gear like driving the Mercedes that a parachuter landed in (season 3), driving a Lancer Evo VII and a Bowler Wildcat vs a snowboarder (season 4), drove in the Toyota Aygo football match (season 6), and so on and so forth) has also earned a lot. That's not a bad thing. If you create one of the biggest TV-shows on the planet and have the opportunity to franchise it out, create live shows, sell DVDs, et cetera, why not do it? Like making money is a bad thing. They did it by doing what they do best, create a show and deserve what they earn. They didn't destroy a concept someone else has made, just to sell a book.

'twas actually James that called him Judas.

Fair call, it was.

I really thought they all would've been a bit more aloof to be honest.

Curiously I'm actually enjoying watching TGUS a little more at the moment because it doesn't have all the StigGate baggage.

Great. Loved it. I only gave it a 9 in comparison to the Africa and North Pole which are the epic standard for me.

Oh and a 9 for James's unfortunate haircut. :rolleyes:
Clarkson often needs a haircut.
Hammond had needed one for a while and finally did it.
James NEVER needs one.

Fin.

It was, just like the rest of TopGear. I really wish the delusional extremist fans of the show would at least try to be realistic about the whole thing. TopGear is a silly fucking TV show that has become famous for one thing and one thing only, cocking about and ruining almost everything they get their hands on. The Stig is a character and there is a living human being underneath that suit and his name happened to be Ben. Get the fuck over it already. Andy, Jeremy, James, and Richard are all rich and famous from TopGear, enjoying their millions and having a grand old time going on TV shows, releasing DVDs, writing their own books, etc etc etc. Ben Collins writes a book to tell his life story and people call him "true scum" and other such bullshit. It's pathetic.

If it was money, it was very short sighted of Ben to out himself just for a book.

I'm sure the Stig was relatively well compensated, but was vastly underpaid compared to Clarkson, et al. IMO he should have been over-compensated commensurate with the show's success, and really I think that should apply to the behind the scenes people as well.

The "Judas" part comes for these understandable reasons:

(1) Collins' contract was explicit about not revealing his identity until the show was over.
(2) Given that Perry McCarthy revealed his identity as Black Stig they didn't want to go through that experience again, and that's exactly what Collins did.
(3) Collins had told the TG team about the book and was working as the Stig while writing it; but he lied about revealing his identity, he explicitly assured them he would not; when in fact it's the cover of the book and pretty much the only selling point.

The BBC is wrong.

The BBC is wrong.

How is it that this is listed as episode 15x07? They showed a series montage at the start which would indicate it was 16x01.

They ended Series 15 at the close of episode 6. They began this episode with Jezza's "we're back!" and a montage of the series to come. I don't give a hoot what the Beeb says. The new series has begun.

They ended Series 15 at the close of episode 6. They began this episode with Jezza's "we're back!" and a montage of the series to come. I don't give a hoot what the Beeb says. The new series has begun.

Jeremy Clarkson is a career BBC man. So if you don't give a hoot about "what the Beeb says", you need to ignore Jezza as well! Just sayin'.....

:p :p

wonderful episode
I liked the red '37 Chevrolet, the music blasting from Jeremy's Benz,45-55 race,
"man walking around playing with his testicles",New Yoik,hippie yoga class-take a break
Being in New York I was expecting one of the challenges to be:you are now a NY taxi driver ...that would have gone well...

I wish they had brought a Lamborghini instead of the Porsche.

Somewhat disappointed that they couldn't get to drive at least a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway... Perhaps a task for TG USA?

Other than that not great but still good. 7.5

No audio with Torrage torrent

No audio with Torrage torrent

I downloaded the 720p torrent from Torrage.cam and got the newest Divx but have no audio. Is there something wrong with the torrent or have I got to do something special? Thanks guys. BTW the episode looks good :p

Would have liked to see them do the Dragon or one of the many other awesome back roads that are around the whole Parkway corridor, but maybe that'll be left for TGUS or a future trip.

I found it interesting that they went across and then back over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US 50) at the start of the 3rd segment before they went to Intercourse, PA since that would be out of the way for a DC to PA route.

Sooo happy it?s back. Enjoyed it immensely 8/10.
Hard to add anything that hasn?t been covered already ?
Apart from the idea that TG isn?t so much about the actual cars in the programme but the ?joys of motoring? gained from them, and the 3 boy banter as well. So for me, the pretty cars in this one, and their result of which is ?best? is really secondary to all of what goes on.

The loss of the Stig can be a real positive to a formula which may be getting stale for some. If anything it?ll mean a new or different element will be introduced into the future if a void is felt. Perhaps they?re running a trial of just letting it go for this series & gauge the response over the first 3 or 4 episodes. ?Stig laps? have always been one of the last elements filmed and slotted into the programme, apart from the studio obviously.

I agree. Since when has TG adhered to the Speed limit?

Good episode.... but i'm still waiting for them to come to the Pacific NW. (Were not all Rednecks after all :p )

Our team trasnlate english subtitles to czech a we dont know how translate this sentence "I got a cheating tank back here, all wired in." Time 15:01.
Please try someone to explain what that sentence means :) some american i would say because even Jeremy didnt know what he meant :)
Thanks a lot.

Not that it matters, the repeat had the fire and pussy missing. The Drive-by stayed.

It matters to me, I missed the original episode because I was at the hospital with my new baby girl (born 23rd Dec) I watched it on red button and recorded it on Christmas Day (So my recording missed the full glory of the news segment)

On repeat viewing, the third part of the big film (where they're in New York) was the best part of the episode. Best cinematography, best music, and some great moments.

10/10

I love that they seem to be pulling a 'Mythbusters' by having a car falling from the sky racing a car on the ground, and if the show is even so much as name dropped (doubtful, though it is) on TG i will be ecstatic.

glad they are since Mythbusters ripped the drowning car from TG...I refuse to watch the rest of that Mythbusters episode after seeing the intro due to that.