• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

16mm filter effect

ruuman

Car(s)
Defender 90, suzuki SJ410, Suzuki DL-650
Hi guys,

I've been doing a ton of video editing recently in adobe premier.

I only have a very budget camera (I like it though) Sony TRV245E, now the image it takes is of a good quality it would be nice if I could pull off that 16mm depth of colour.

Any of you have any experiance of this?

Thanks
Ruu

Post a screenshot for reference. I can probably help you as I've worked alot on color-correcting on video and so on..

thanks hanasand

still1.jpg

still2.jpg

still3.jpg

Sorry there all a bit samey colours wise but this is the only film that I'm editing on my HD at the moment.

Which programs do you use? is there a good post production filter package??

cheers
ruu

Allright then, since I assume you don't have all the worlds software available I'll try
to stick to things that can be done on most editing-systems around. One of the first
things digital-cameras in general doesn't give you much of is contrast. Therefore,
increase it. Give it a little tweak as you wish, you'll see what fits best as you try it out.
Later on it could be an idea to actually de-saturate the image a bit. This means
actually removing some of the color, like 20% perhaps. Later you could manually add
colors with a color-correcting/color-balance tool to fit your liking. To fake a proper
wide-angle lens as on a 16mm camera, it could be wise to add gradient dark corners
on your images, it looks quite good. Last but noe least something very important to
fake a film-look on your video: De-interlace. Normal non-exspensive consumer videocameras
capture video at so called 50i. This means 50 interlaced (part pictures) each second.
Film operates at 25 whole pictures each second (25p / P for progressive), this gives
the charming, but sometimes choppy, framerate were used to from film. You can do
this when exporting or while capturing your video if it's not an option while editing.

I made some quick examples for you here in Photoshop, but I could do them just as
well in Adobe After Effects or Premiere. I'm sure you'll get some results if you play
around and try some of things I've mentioned here, good luck!

(I see a SIII 109" in the first pic, I've got one of those to!:D

not bad but looks like you went a bit extreme with the contrast like with all of your edits haz! :lol: ;)

Thanks for the tips mate, I was just looking at the originals and they look a bit over interlaced. Just realised I'd left my camera on long play mode so with any luck that will make things a little crisper.

The first pic is almost exactly how I want it.

Do you recommend adobe after effects? I've only just got fully to grips with premier so haven't had a chance to look at anything else.

i've seen some pic's of your 109, it's a bit nicer than mine ;)

after effects is quite good for doing special effects, but for doing what you want you would probably better off in premier. I havent used premier in a while, but one method i use to get a film look is to Shoot the video at 60 or 30 shutter, I know in the avid there is a filter to simulate this, but i am not sure if premier has it or not. i agree though with the deinterlace, but i dont think i would add so much contrast, 16mm tends to have alot less color contrast then video.

Dr.