[16x00] May 23rd, 2009 [Stunt Special]

[16x00] May 23rd, 2009 [Stunt Special]

• Total voters
As usual:

NO TORRENT DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD.

I have to say, it wasn't really that interesting. Sorry but I've done loops in Racer (just google it, it's an old racing simulator) and it was fun a few times.

I enjoy a normal FG ep alot more.

Poll added :)

I thought it was excellent, hence the rating of 10 (which is also the only rating given so far in the poll):lol:

It felt different to normal Fifth Gear, not just because none of the presenters were present, just Viki doing the voicover, but some of the camera angles and shots were really good, dare I say it, reaching TopGear levels of cinematography (albeit from a couple of series ago).

One of the only downsides to it would be that it was broadcast in the morning and not in its usual timeslot, it did mean I had to drag myself out of bed for something. (Along with the F1 qualifying)

Edit: in the time it took to write that post, someone else voted... haha

Last edited:
I don't normally watch Fifth Gear, but I caught most of this this morning. I can't explain why, but I found it somewhat lacking.

They used similar filming techniques to Top Gear and executed what is undeniably a complex and dangerous stunt, and yet somehow, they managed to suck most of the excitement out of it.

I thought it was great, although I'm a bit of a physics nut, so that may be why I appreciated the stunt that much more.

Boring and the guy wasnt actually very captivating. We should expand Clarkson's idea about racing drivers being boring to their stunt driver cousins.

So, nothing different from normal Not-as-good-as-the-other-Gear.

It feels like they are kind of stretching it, it feels like there are only enough content to fill 30 mins. I was going to give it a 7, but the stunt did go very well, that's not often for FG, so I voted 8. I know they don't have that kind of budget, but an Aerio Atom would probably be the ideal car for this.

Last edited:
I gave it an 8. I never watch Final Gear but I enjoyed it. They should have had the physics professor figure out the proper spring rates for the car. They could have used a cooler car as well, like an original Mini. All in all it was a good watch IMO.

From a Geek standpoint, it was AWESOME.
When he sped up towards the ramp, I thought "Oooohh, I wish he did it but he won?t managed to do it..."
I liked it. Impressive to see how a stunt that seemed simple can be a lot of work.

I've watched the loop scene when broadcasted first at Dunlop website and thought: Meeeh, that would stink...

But having watched the full story now, I think it was amazing.... the physics related to it, effects on the human body, the construction itself and car modification.... it was well put together IMO....

Obvioulsy, it wouldn't compare to the 007's barrel roll which was tried on TG (although I believe they didn't try harder enough to accomplish...) and that's the one I'd like either one to re-create.

In the end, it hasn't gone as perfect as they planned... it worked but it was so close to be "Ambitious but rubbish!!"

I was going to give it a 9, but gave an 8, it was amazing how easy it looked on the dunlop website at first and how much strain the stunt put on the car and the driver. Thumbs up to Fifth Gear for putting it together.

Anyway, when they said it was a "stunt special," I don't know why but I expect some more stunts recreated like the James Bond barrel roll or something, not just a single stunt. Yes, it was very very impressive and exciting one, but it felt more like "behind the scenes" (which is still great) than a "stunt special." Bring on some more of these stunts please :)

Eh.. I gave it a 5. Wasn't the worst thing ever, but, skipped to the end and saw what I wanted to see.

why did they used the top gear aygo

The stunt work was impressive. But the show was lacking suspense and information. It wasn't entertaining enough to be good as a entertaining show, and it wasn't informative enough to be a decent documentary of the preparation of a most impressive and interesting car stunt. It felt to me like the stuntman played extra dumb. It would have been better to actually explain the different aspects of the work in at least some detail.