[16x01] January 23rd, 2011

[16x01] January 23rd, 2011

• Total voters
I really thought that they wen't out of their way to break Ben Collins' records. Other than that, it was an okay episode with a ridiculously long SIARPC. My being American and really having no clue who John Bishop is probably doesn't help that. Loved the Beetle skit though.

Nice to see Tiff back on Top Gear.
Oversteery Stig ehh? Smells like Tiff!

I thought James' Ariel Atom segment was great.

Jezzas Yeti segment not so great, its like he has run out of jokes and keep recycling old ones.
And holy crap, did he age 10 years since the last series?
Respect to the helicopter pilot, that stunt takes balls of steel!

News was entertaining, didnt care much for the SIARPC but laptime was brilliant!

Overall I'll score this episode 6/10.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the episode, great to see it back in form.

The race between the Atom and RR had me on the edge of my seat, great to see Tiff being involved again.

News was humorous as always. And that Jaguar, really need that many lights?

I really wanted to see all of the Porsche 911s race on the track (at least a drag race). But the entire episode was all in good fun. 8/10

The Atom lap reminded me a lot of the R500 lap with respect to oversteer, and that race with the RR was awesome. Everything else was so-so.

I think the Yeti is built on the same platform as a Tiguan; it sure looks familiar inside.

Nice packed episode. The Atom V8 is rediculous. I wish they have that car in GT5 now. The Yeti review is very funny too, I'm glad they didn't destroy the car like they did with the Twingo review though. The Porsche Turbo S review feels a bit old, but still cool to see. Overall I'm glad TGUK is back, 9/10.

Reactions: TC
Seeing Tiff at TG was awesome. I don't like Fifth gear that much but I love Tiff and his reviews.
Anyone think Jeremy looks really old now? His eyebrows are greying :(. I liked his intro though. The stuttering was hilarious.
I thought the Porsche vs Beetle race was a bit stupid but I was hooked all the same.
James's review of the Atom was simply brilliant.
And lastly, I was surprised by the laptime. I thought it looked fast. I didn't think anyone could beat Tom Cruise's laptime. I suppose Tom just committed suicide now xD. I guess since being on two wheels at the last corner hurt his time.

6/10 from me

I thought it missed the sparkle, the X factor that the TG team is so keen on. The music selection has also been more to my liking... but that comes down to taste, I suppose.

- James on the track is always nice, but in the Atom? Really? That car seems to be as bonkers as can be, so IMHO someone who is just that bit more bonkers than James should have done the review.
- That silly Jaguar... right. Gas turbines? They've overdone it.
- So Jeremy did another silly outlandish and yet somewhat informative review of a cheap and simple car. Could he please, please, please do a proper, enthusiastic one once more? I'm thinking of the Jaguar XJ review from many years ago.
- 911 "vs" Beetle - we get it, the 911 is controversial and the Beetle is universally hated. OK. Really OK. And now? Oh, you're smashing it up. Alright then... where's Frank Drebin when you need him?

One last thing, I find a couple of things seemed rather overproduced, as if they thought they needed to recapture the attention of the audience every twenty seconds or so.

Still, one slightly less tasty apple doesn't spoil the basket. :)

Last edited:
As a belgian (thus neutral) viewer, I enjoyed the Alaska special TG US more than this episode but still a solid TG UK.

For once I knew the SIARPC from Skins :p Funny accent and funny jokes about Liverpool. Now every foreign viewer think Liverpool = criminality :D

I loved the stolen wheel bit at the end, as well as Jeremy's intro. As others have said, though, Richard's 911 obsession is getting a bit old. 8/10.

heh It was a great epi, I still dont get what the stuttering was about at the beginning.

heh It was a great epi, I still dont get what the stuttering was about at the beginning.
I've not replayed it, but on the first take I think it was a dig at the show (one of the most popular in the world!) getting displaced from its usual Sunday evening spot by things like a darts tournament or someone singing badly, and then viewers resorting to watching it on a low bit rate via what Jeremy refers to as 'the InterWeb'. Hence the jumps and pretend stuttering.

Found it an entertaining 8/10.

If you did not like the Yeti segment then you have absolutely no...haha...not going go attack anyone's pride here. Nonetheless, I've always liked the Yeti and this segment actually makes me want to buy one. I mean the climb hill without rolling back scene was superb, the ice cream not melting was also on point. You have to see JC's praises about the car...it's a real world review...I thought that was pretty obvious to figure out. At any rate what made TG great is never aiming to please everyone...most people are unimaginative oafs who just complain a lot and don't look for nuggets of information that's being conveyed via entertainment.

Last edited: