[16x02] January 30th, 2011

[16x02] January 30th, 2011

• Total voters
The news was pretty funny. I wonder how long it will take the Daily Mail to stir up some Mexican "outrage"? .. or will they just use that Muslim idiot they usually drag out?
The GTO thing was OK .. just wish they would get off the test track .. If it is designed to be a road car .. test it on a road!! You don't test aircraft in a swimming pool ...... or then again, Clarkson might.
I thought the Ashes challenge was better on this version than the Australian one .. there seemed to be less of the "Bruce" and "Nigel" crap ... but it was still basically all rubbish that should've been left on the cutting room floor.
Boris Becker was an excellent guest ... he's my favourite German too (after MacGuffin :)).

I was pretty bored throughout.

I liked the interview, Boris was a good guest. It was fun. GTO review good, I had seen the Australian show so I knew what was going to happen. But I have a lot of problems with the mexican bit. For anyone who lives in America can accuse Mexicans of many things except of them not working very hard. Also why is a brit talking bs about mexican cuisine? Really James I don't think you can compare it. I think it also shows the worst side of Britain, their total ignorance of cultures who were not their colonies and it seems that gives them the right to be racist. It was not funny it was racist. I'm not mexican but I fest very offended. i didn't rate the episode because I couldn't give it a minus 8.

Isn't it always nice to see strange comments in the TG specific episode discussions by people who otherwise contribute nothing at all to the forum? I mean, it's like readers' letters to a newspaper: You simply shake your head about it and then forget it.

Anyway, I really liked this episode. I have no idea why the nitpickers always have the first word on it but saying that it was using old footage, is stupid. Also I cannot understand, how somebody can make up his mind about the whole episode and vote it down, just because they didn't show more of their favourite car :rolleyes:

Mexican jokes: Finally something new on the show, didn have those before :D It wasn't racist at all, btw. It was the usual thing they do with EVERY foreign nationality. So calm down.

Boris Becker: Strangely enough he seems to be cooler on English TV, than on German TV. I think the chemistry was good between him and Jeremy. But you should always consider, that an interview can never go as smoothly between two persons, who speak different languages, as it can go between two speakers of the same language. But at least Boris can speak proper English. You should watch some of the SIARPC stars, when they are on German TV and have to be translated simultaneously, because they DON'T speak the language of the show's host but try to be funny by quoting some German phrases they picked up somewhere :rolleyes: Talking about embarrassment...

Didn't care for the Ferrari bit (because I don't care for Ferraris at all).

Gave it 9/10, just to give a counter balance to all the nitpickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
"It is slightly turbocharged" :lol:

the stig broke character at the end! he almost shook Hammond's hand. Did anyone else notice that?!

Some say, shaking hands is a knee jerk reaction the programmers haven't gotten around to debugging yet.
Others say the new stig isn't used to being the stig yet

All we know, he's called James May

Last edited:
9/10 despite the repeats.

Also why didn't they do the same thing the TG:OZ hosts did, except in Australia? Then again it would have just been full of cracks about being upside down and the fact that all of Australia's cars are powered by American engines...

But I have a lot of problems with the mexican bit. For anyone who lives in America can accuse Mexicans of many things except of them not working very hard. Also why is a brit talking bs about mexican cuisine? Really James I don't think you can compare it. I think it also shows the worst side of Britain, their total ignorance of cultures who were not their colonies and it seems that gives them the right to be racist. It was not funny it was racist. I'm not mexican but I fest very offended.

My initial reaction was similar, but I think you have to put it in their cultural perspective. I am sure you laughed at the German war mongering jokes in previous episodes. Is that not similarly offensive? In fact, isn't war and the massive civilian casualties it entails more offensive than being lazy? In America only Brown people can mock Brown people. I think their 'jokes' about Mexicans perversely demonstrate a lack of racism relative to what you see here in America.

To an American their joke is just asinine. I think most Americans would consider 'Mexicans' to be very hard working.

Last edited:
Thank god I came on here, I thought I was going completely insane.

The episode said it was today's, it was new to all of my friends, but I KNEW I had seen it before.

We all know what needs to happen now. Tanner Foust vs. the Stig.

....the UK/US battle would definitely be interesting. Corvettes, Vipers, Shelby Mustangs, the Ford GT, hell... the SSC Aero

also that Jag - Transit van was on the Speed Channel roaring up the Goodwood hill climb

Not the best Top Gear episode, but not bad either. A solid 7/10.

The news section was pretty funny. I nearly drowned when May called the Mexican car "the Tortilla" (was drinking when he said that).

They did forget the Ford Falcon when they listed the cars Australia makes, however it is understandable since the Falcon (last I checked) is not available in Europe.

The drag race with the Transit was somewhat unexpected. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but there was something odd about the van before the start of the race (the extra gauges on the dash and its somewhat low ride height tipped me off).

The herding sheep with dirt bikes and the double decker race were amusing.

The Ferrari review was alright. Yet another car that relies way too much on electronic nannies to go fast. I think we can all agree that electronic gadgets are nice to have, but they should not be the be all and end all of a car.

- Dan

For those that don't know, that Transit was a Mule for the XJ220 and is at Goodwood alot.
Possibly the best mule ever made.

is anyone elses tp episode very quiet after using mkv2vod? it seems VERY quiet compared to the last episode.

(720p rip)

7/10.
Australia - Ashes: I think you'll agree that editing and music does make a difference in perception of quality. Also, they didn't use the bit with Clarkson using a scooter, nor did they show the Aussies being observant (they picked up on the van's wheels, for example, and tried betting that TG:UK wouldn't make sheep jokes).
News: about the Mexican bit. Mexico *does* in fact have a car industry: several European manufacturers as well as the Big Three have branch operations there (it makes exporting to the North American market easier). I suspect Clarkson will appear next week, doing the news bit, horribly offended that he was wrong about Mexicans complaining.
GTO: just your average Clarkson pan. Pretty nice time though.
SIARPC: ff'ed through that one, I'm afraid.

My friend was saying I seen this before I seen this before. Man why did they re- hash video?

anyhow, The Van was awesome ha. I know something like that would happen.

Thats old Stig... does Ben get paid? :D
That's kinda what I was thinking. It was "sacked Stig" in The Ashes special, right, even though Richard said it was "new Stig."