[16x02] January 30th, 2011

[16x02] January 30th, 2011

• Total voters
I do not know the caliber of Mexican food available in the UK, but that could have a lot to do with James's remark. Otherwise I just do not understand it esp coming from someone who seemed to enjoy sheeps brains. BTW, Taco Bell is not mexican food. I do not know exactly what kind of food it is, but it is definately not mexican.

The calibre of Mexican food in the UK is appalling.

However, they will have certainly have eaten Mexican food in the USA and, probably, Mexico.

How can you feel ripped off? you haven't even paid to see it. The BBC is funded by the licence fee that everyone in England pays for. For the millionth time it isn't re-used footage either. The Ashes special has not aired over here and it was new footage for the uk market.

I was just disappointed, you used "ripped off" in your initial post and I went along with it as a metaphor, I didn't mean it in a monetary way.

would have preferred it if all the teams used that upsidedown double decker...and a Stig showdown at the end; for a penalty shootout, lol

I take offense to the Mexican food comment, it is by far one of the worlds best food cultures. Everything else was funny, if a bit mean spirited.

/food nerdism

It's the British, you know... what do they know about good food? :p

Apparently you can get decent food today in Britain (it's not the 70's anymore) but it's all something they imported from other food cultures. They're missing an own cuisine and I believe it nags on them. I mean, where outside of Britain would your ever find a British restaurant...?

Even famous chefs like Gordon Ramsey or Jamie Oliver aren't coming up with anything original -- they're copying continental cuisine.

A while ago I read a comment from an American travelling through Europe and he said, that everything you can get in continental Europe, you can also get in Britain. But he also said that on the way across the English channel most of it loses its taste somehow :p

So don't feel offended by Jeremy's comments on Mexican food. I love Mexican food, too.

Last edited:
Once again a very valid point. I'm a Brit, and also a massive foodie (not size massive, enthusiasm massive). I love cooking and being creative in the kitchen but I have to say virtually everything I do is imported in some way or other, whether that be Cajun, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Spanish, Mexican, American and so on.

Don't have anything typically German in my repertoire although I remember years ago having the most amazing potato dumplings at my ex fiancee's Dad's place in Frankfurt. Any Germans have any typically German recipes (I don't mean just sausages) feel free to PM them to me.

Once again a very valid point. I'm a Brit, and also a massive foodie (not size massive, enthusiasm massive). I love cooking and being creative in the kitchen but I have to say virtually everything I do is imported in some way or other, whether that be Cajun, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Spanish, Mexican, American and so on.

Don't have anything typically German in my repertoire although I remember years ago having the most amazing potato dumplings at my ex fiancee's Dad's place in Frankfurt. Any Germans have any typically German recipes (I don't mean just sausages) feel free to PM them to me.

It's hard to define "German cuisine". Since we're located in the middle of Europe and are a very diverse country, you could even say that German cuisine is bits of a mosaic of hundreds of local cuisines. Abroad that is all reduced to some parts of the Bavarian cuisine, though, which is sad. Strangely enough the Asians seem to like that most, though...

Anyway, if you're looking for good collection of the "traditional", not watered down German cuisine, you should probably consider buying this book

Thanks MacGuffin, I thought of books but wanted to try a few first before committing. I've started a thread in the Food section and will see what comes up.

It's the British, you know... what do they know about good food? :p

Apparently you can get decent food today in Britain (it's not the 70's anymore) but it's all something they imported from other food cultures. They're missing an own cuisine and I believe it nags on them. I mean, where outside of Britain would your ever find a British restaurant...?

Even famous chefs like Gordon Ramsey or Jamie Oliver aren't coming up with anything original -- they're copying continental cuisine.

A while ago I read a comment from an American travelling through Europe and he said, that everything you can get in continental Europe, you can also get in Britain. But he also said that on the way across the English channel most of it loses its taste somehow :p

So don't feel offended by Jeremy's comments on Mexican food. I love Mexican food, too.

oddly enough i had always thought of a Roast Beef Meal as being our national dish (Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, peas, gravy and other various vegetables).

Strangely enough, I seem to have liked this episode quite a bit.

Aussie-match was fun, even though it didn't have as many new ideas as I would've expected (compared to "Top Gear vs. Zee Germans").

GTO-review was kinda predictable if you know JC's opinion on the 599. Plus it was more or less redundant when you've watched his clip on the 599. Why review the car in the first place if it's "just" a tweaked version of the original? On a side note: I still find it weird that he loves the Italia so much when that thing has just as much computational power as the 599. However: Having the 250 GTO on screen made the clip worth watching (I'd marry that machine!). Too bad it didn't move..:(

Boris Becker on TG ... WTF?! He must be real popular in the UK, because over here he's more like a C-grade-celebrity these days. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in next year's "I'm a celebrity ...". Having his latest wedding broadcast on a cheap "star"-show on TV and his own web-TV-channel on "Bild.de" (leading sleazy tabloid-newspaper), covering his family life. The interview was so-so (by TG-standards), and he definetly looked better than in comparable interviews in his native language. Still: Schumacher was way better, funnier and much more interesting.

All in all still an entertaining show, I shouldn't have liked it so much, but I did .. 8/10.

You shouldn't have done that. I was in for a shock as well, when they announced Boris - a man most famous for changing his wife every half hour, at least nowadays. But rather surprisingly the interview was really nice - so go and watch it ;)[...]
When I rewatch the episode, I will definetly do that. First viewing for me is usally at work ... in my break. So I tend to skip stuff regulary when they don?t look promising. Just seeing Boris made me wanna fast forward. But I will watch that bit later on.

D+ 6/10

Some of the Australia vs. UK stuff was good, but it really felt like the Australian presenters did a better job. Yes, I saw this before, but I'm doing all I can to be objective about this specific episode.

The Ferrari review was worth watching, some of the news was good.

Echoing the xenophobic words of American bigots and using them for insults - not funny. Yes, the food jokes were okay, but the rest of it was the kind of vitriolic hate you hear touted about by mindless Americans who are permanently tuned in to Fox News. I was unaware that the BBC could be a sounding board for Rupert Murdoch, but apparently, since the man who is the driving force behind the show is employed by Mr. Murdoch, we are now seeing an ideology in line with Mr. Murdoch's broadcasting spill out of the BBC. It simply went too far.

Last edited:
What a pretty girl on Hammond's left!

1/10

I haven't seen the Australian take on this, but seeing this remake of the Top Gear vs. The Germans was dull. I got bored with Boris Becker, and found the Ferrari 288GTO much more interesting than the 599GTO. Sorry, it just was that stupid and pointless.

I'm not sure what the joke was with the Mexican bashing, but it was extremely tasteless. If they're mocking Americans (gee, again? Whodathunkit?) it fell flat here. Another reason for the One rating.

Last edited:
oddly enough i had always thought of a Roast Beef Meal as being our national dish (Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, peas, gravy and other various vegetables).

You know, it's easier to find a restaurant here, that serves ostrich meat, than one that serves Yorkshire Pudding.

Until today I have no concept of what that is anyway...

yorkshire puddings? they are bloody lovely with a roast meal and some gravy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

I agree - they are bloody lovely and no roast dinner is complete without them!

I really enjoyed this episode and loved the TG Ashes. As we've won the real Ashes in Oz (for the first time in 20 odd years - yay :)), it was a lovely reflection on real life :mrgreen:

OT, but when is Freddie Flintoff going to be the SIARPC??? I'd love him to be a guest.)

The news section was good, and I liked Boris Becker.

I thought this episode was crap.

The 599 GTO segment was under par, not up to Jezza standards. 4/10
The UK vs AUS segment was just not funny, however a +1 for Jodie Kidd! 4/10
(And I havent watched the segment before, as I'm a Top Gear fan, so have no interest in TG AUS).

Boris Becker? Give me a break... 1/10

I'll score it 4-/10.

Thought this weeks episode was way better than last weeks, I'd give it a 9/10.

Where I'm from, there are two types of Mexicans: The illegal ones, who are very hard-working and can be hired to fix things on your house or your farm (they tend to work hard so they can make as much money as possible for their families, good people really), and the legal ones, who are very lazy, can't drive, don't learn English and live off of welfare.

That may sound racist, but unfortunately, it's true.

I laughed really hard when that sheep jumped over the fence. Best bit of the show!

I felt a bit sorry for Mexico, I've been there a few times and most of them seem pretty hard-working to me! I would have liked to have heard more about the car itself than a few cheap gags.