[16x02] January 30th, 2011

[16x02] January 30th, 2011

• Total voters
6 out of 10 for me. The rally stage at the end was spectacular. The rest of the Aussies v Pomms was predictable. Each little segment followed the same format. The batter bewtween the 6 guys was funny though. Boris Becker seemed really nice but just, well, a little odd. Pity Jezza didnt spend more time with the 288, i love that car!

I am going to have Mexican for lunch today because I just can't get it out of my mind.

I do not know the caliber of Mexican food available in the UK, but that could have a lot to do with James's remark. Otherwise I just do not understand it esp coming from someone who seemed to enjoy sheeps brains. BTW, Taco Bell is not mexican food. I do not know exactly what kind of food it is, but it is definately not mexican.

I'm not even sure it could qualify as food of any kind.

As an Aussie who lives in the town where Darren Lyons is from I had a good laugh when the Aussie hosts said "Who ?" when they were told he was driving with him.The guy is a sleazebag photographer who stalks people and is totally unknown in Aus,apart from the Geelong Advertiser newspaper which runs a story everytime the freak is in town.

Seen The Ashes stuff before,so that was a bit boring.Boris Becker was good.

I throughly enjoyed the Australians.:lol:
Prison lorry was pretty rude. I liked how they got on well with Clarkson, Hammond & May. Rally was great. News wasn't bad but the rudeness to Mexico made me cringe. Lots of Latinos were I live, can't get away with saying those sorts of things.
We have Latinos working for contractors where I work. They are anything but lazy.
Rest of the show was ok.

It was alright. The GTO segment shoulda been longer, and I wanted to see more of the 288gto and less of the new GTO. I love that car.

GTO bit was on-par with regular Top Gear UK episodes. JC really is a ham fisted oaf - in every episode this series he has well oversteered the car he's driving. His bitch about how 'undrivable' the new GTO was in the 'damp' with the assist turned off is a non-comment - the accellerator is not a switch.

Boris was more entertaining than I thought he would be. Do you think nothing will come from the speeding admission in Italy way back? I was not sure what he was refering to about how UK cars having their pedals the wrong way?

The Ashes segement - I haven't seen before (as I am the only Australian based Top Gear viewer who doesn't watch the TGAus episodes). I thought it was 'better' than the pervious one against the chermenz.
Having only the 2x Holdens there was a bit rough, seeing how the UK fleet included cottage cars like the Ariel Atom.
Elfin Clubman & Streamliner.
Ford FPV Typhoon (the Holden opponent).

PS: How about when JC was [trying] to ride the bike? I thought my picture froze as he made his attempt to engage the clutch & ride off. How long did that pause go on for?????

Last edited:
AFter watching this episode, I went to watch the Australia version. For this particular event, I think Australia version is better, lol.
1st Rule: CHEAT! LOL

The Aussie presenters are SO much better than those three prats on TGUSA.

This was a very Meh episode for me. The GTO segment was pretty good, but the rest was forgettable. The cheating on the aussie segment was funny at times, but I found myself more curious about what would have happened if everything was legit. It became way too predictable almost immediately. But the rally race was awesome, so the segment is redeemed a bit.

7/10, most of it was around a 2-3, but the rally race and GTO were a solid 9-10.

The Ashes segement - I haven't seen before (as I am the only Australian based Top Gear viewer who doesn't watch the TGAus episodes). I thought it was 'better' than the pervious one against the chermenz.
Having only the 2x Holdens there was a bit rough, seeing how the UK fleet included cottage cars like the Ariel Atom.
Elfin Clubman & Streamliner.
Ford FPV Typhoon (the Holden opponent).

Yeah but in the world of Top Gear UK they wouldn't have heard of Elfin, the Essendon-based Carbontech Redback or the Joss, and they also thought the XR8 and Ford Falcon were two different cars, neither of which were Australian. And they stated that the VH Charger R/T, XB Falcon and Monaro that the Aussie presenters all turned up in with their version of events were all American.

Last edited:
Loved the soundtrack on the Ferrari video. Loved the Transit and Rally race as well. Apart from that it was quite boring. Borris was very dull. I feel Jeremy could have at least driven the 250 GTO slowly around the track. (Although it would be quite pointless). Looking forward to next weeks show to make up for this week's.

I would give 16x02 8/10

Well, having seen the Aussie special and Clarkson's DVD, this felt like a clip show to me, but it wasn't a bad episode on a standalone basis by any means. So on first impression I would give the episode 4/10 (below average) but as a standalone episode it can easily earn 7/10, so I will not vote at all :) and let the people who saw the films for the first time to decide. That having been said, the news segment was hilarious and I still really liked seeing the rally challenge with the Aussies again. The Stig's, I mean James's, grass overtake was amazing.

Also I was quite surprised how undriveable was the 599 in wet with traction control off.

Now let them do a TG US vs TG UK challenge - an offroad SUV challenge, a drag race challenge on a salt lake and a drift challenge with Tanner vs James ;).

This was a very Meh episode for me. The GTO segment was pretty good, but the rest was forgettable. The cheating on the aussie segment was funny at times, but I found myself more curious about what would have happened if everything was legit. It became way too predictable almost immediately. But the rally race was awesome, so the segment is redeemed a bit.

7/10, most of it was around a 2-3, but the rally race and GTO were a solid 9-10.

If everything was legit. Well the VE ute would've won the drag race, we would've (and did) win the double decker cars challenge, we won the sheep round up challenge, if we had proper HSVs to drift we probably could've won that too...umm, I'll give the rally to the Brits. So I think we probably would've won. It wouldn't have made for very exciting TV though.

If everything was legit. Well the VE ute would've won the drag race, we would've (and did) win the double decker cars challenge, we won the sheep round up challenge, if we had proper HSVs to drift we probably could've won that too...umm, I'll give the rally to the Brits. So I think we probably would've won. It wouldn't have made for very exciting TV though.

Or Falcons, they've got more Aussie parts in them ;P

6/10 and this score is only for the news segment and the well wishes to the Aussies for the floods.

The Ferrari = blah boring and deja vu
The Ashes = cut too short and missing the best bits
The star segment = again, I fast forwarded it and no longer care about seeing any of these on any TG show

If not for the news and Aussie well wishes statement I'd actually rate this a 3. The last couple of eps of TGUS are vastly superior than this ep.

It was okay, but cant wait for TopgearUK vs. TopgearUSA, oh I can imagine the jokes form Mr. Clarkson

Ozzy stig upside down in the box was epic! :D