[16x03] February 6th, 2011

[16x03] February 6th, 2011

• Total voters
Also, am I the only one who is starting to get really bored with all the car tests being done on the track?

Not at all. That was the best bit about the Top Gear USA episode where they had the Morgan on... lots of footage on the road. I miss the days where most of the B-roll footage took place on public roads. It might be more (a lot more?) expensive to shoot, but it moves the show a lot closer to Motortrend in my opinion. I think it was it its most ridiculous when they had the super-SUVs on the track, but I miss the days when ALL the reviews started on the road.

Turbo lag on the Cosworth???? Clarkson kills me sometimes. It's a small motor with a giant turbo... Just downshift.

Episode was miles better than 1 and 2 though.

For a 50yo, I found Jonathon Ross extremely painful to watch.
He completely ruined the episode for me, do not like him.

When Jeremy says "turbo lag", does he really mean high revving and narrow power band?

I was thinking the same thing. Its high revving encouraging you to drive it hard!

Brilliant episode, highly re-watchable. I honestly haven't laughed this hard since the Bolivia Special.
Jezza's facial expressions in the Yugo were priceless. Suck it Bentley!

Dammit, I want that Volvo! And curses upon you Jeremy for showing me a car I can't buy...well...being in America I can't buy many of the ones on the show but anyway....Dammit I want that Volvo!

I have a feeling that they didn't put the Stig in the Volvo for the same reason that the Stig wasn't allowed in the Veyron for quite a while -- the makers didn't want him in it. Clarkson throwing it around the track is one thing, but letting a racing-driver-type-person in one-off might not be the best idea. Some manufacturers, like VW (see the Golf W12), let the Stig at it, but it seems Volvo didn't feel like risking it. :p That's just a theory, obviously.

Am I the only one who kept thinking of the Albania song from Cheers?

I loved the "Bentley" and James's "death". I do feel like the references to the "Bentley" got a bit old after a while, though. I just about pissed myself when JC got in the Merc after the robbery and realized the seat was just about all the way forwards. :lol:

Enjoyed it very much, I couldn't keep from laughing every time JC was talking about the "Bentley." The powerslides in the Cosworth Impreza were mad. The episode was well done, also they handled the "mexican situation" quite well, good job. 8/10

Am I the only one who kept thinking of the Albania song from Cheers?

I kept thinking of Wag the Dog, starting a war with Albania and Willie Nelson going "Albania, Albaniaaaa... Albania is hard to rhyme." :)

apart from everything else, I kept thinking "if those are _actual_ albanian Rozzers in those cars and on that bike, I'm sure they're having a hell of a good time!"

Also loved the multiple pictures of the cop on the motorbike with the casual cigarette ..

plus, great footage of rotting subs and MIGs, love that kind of stuff.

5/10

I am tired of car tests that have nothing to do with the actual market. I miss the old days of Megane vs Golf vs Astra or Mondeo vs Mazda 6. So many cars have seen light during these past two years and few have been presented. Insignia VXR (car of the year 2010) got a shitty review bundled with the history of British road signs. No word on Astra, Mazda 3 MPS, Auris, IQ, C5, Avensis and so forth. TG is drifting away from its long established audience because people don't identify anymore with the cars presented and, hence, with the show. Why did they have to go to Albania (where is that? Middle East?) and waste half of the show for a mockumentary? I can watch Bruno for that. Throw some more cars in there, guys. Quit cocking around!

When Jeremy says "turbo lag", does he really mean high revving and narrow power band?

No he means turbo lag :rolleyes:

He is just misusing an engine and calls the effect turbo lag, but it has nothing to do with it.

You could take a F1 car, give it a bit of a hill and 1000rpm in 7th gear (or do they have eight these days) and you'll find that is does not accelerate. Eventhough it has "800" bhp. Jeremy would call that turbo lag too, despite there not being any turbo's attached to the engine.

Fact is, that it might have 800bhp at 18000rpm, but it's nearer 5bhp at 1000rpm.

Turbo lag is the time it takes voor a turbo to spin (back) up, while within the turbo working rev range, after the throttle has been (semi-)closed for a while. (exit of a corner of example)

I have a feeling that they didn't put the Stig in the Volvo for the same reason that the Stig wasn't allowed in the Veyron for quite a while -- the makers didn't want him in it. Clarkson throwing it around the track is one thing, but letting a racing-driver-type-person in one-off might not be the best idea. Some manufacturers, like VW (see the Golf W12), let the Stig at it, but it seems Volvo didn't feel like risking it. :p

Not really. Polestar Performance had no problem with Top Gear using their car, it was Top Gear's decision not to do a lap in it, because "it is not a production car." I fail to see how that Cosworth is a production car, especially Jeremy explaining everything that was replaced on it. If you bring a regular C30 and lots of cash to Polestar, I'm sure they wouldn't mind converting your regular C30 to a PCP. (Yes, it won't be street-legal in Europe, but you can definitely use it in the states)
He is just misusing an engine and calls the effect turbo lag, but it has nothing to do with it.

You could take a F1 car, give it a bit of a hill and 1000rpm in 7th gear (or do they have eight these days) and you'll find that is does not accelerate. Eventhough it has "800" bhp. Jeremy would call that turbo lag too, despite there not being any turbo's attached to the engine.

Fact is, that it might have 800bhp at 18000rpm, but it's nearer 5bhp at 1000rpm.

Turbo lag is the time it takes voor a turbo to spin (back) up, while within the turbo working rev range, after the throttle has been (semi-)closed for a while. (exit of a corner of example)

Thank you, Captain Obvious :)

The drag race was wonderful. They spotted the Yugo/Bentley a push start, had the other two get back in their cars and launch normally, and the Yugo still lost. That and Albania looked good in HD. That makes up for Ross as the idiot in the car segment.

Very good, finally had a chance to watch last night.

Wished they had taken the Volvo around the track just to see what everyone is missing.