[16x03] February 6th, 2011

[16x03] February 6th, 2011

• Total voters
I'm calling it a 6/10.

Here's the basic problem with the main story: it's essentially a blend of new car review (Rolls + Mercedes) plus cheap car challenge (Lada). That combination is like putting together champagne and single-malt Scotch: they're never meant to be mixed.

Subaru / Ford / Volvo: it doesn't really help that the cars are (a) never going to be made or (b) sold out. Sort of demotivates interest, if you see what I mean.

SIARPC: actually, this is one of the few SIARPC segments that I thought was pretty entertaining. It's to Wossy's credit that he brought up the Mexico controversy, and baiting Clarkson's always good for a laugh.

Not an epic episode really, but the final bit in Albania was hilarious ("See you in Spain!" :D), and so was the "car" and "peach" stuff. That cool looking Volvo and the Merc were great, but that Albanian beauty on the studio was the very best bit of the episode. This time is 8/10

Here's the basic problem with the main story: it's essentially a blend of new car review (Rolls + Mercedes) plus cheap car challenge (Lada). That combination is like putting together champagne and single-malt Scotch: they're never meant to be mixed.

Apart from:
1. there wasn't anythig "cheap car challenge" about it. They did tests instead of challenges, not one car was incompetantly modified, and there was no threat of an abhorrent backup car.
2. it was a Zastava Koral/Yugo, not a Lada;
3. you can't compare the Yugo to single-malt.

It was an entertaining jaunt through an exotic location with non-average cars - it's not attempting to be all things to all people, let alone serious.

Subaru / Ford / Volvo: it doesn't really help that the cars are (a) never going to be made or (b) sold out. Sort of demotivates interest, if you see what I mean.

Whereas million-pound/dollar cars are well within your reach? I for one am glad they show all sorts of different vehicles, available or not, be it foil-wrapped Porsches, awesome Lancias, zany Dutch auto-contraptions, and the like.

Anyway, some of those Subarus and Fords will be resold.

8/10 Best of the series hands down.

The road trip was hysterical, I did a spit take when they mentioned shaving the VINs off to save weight. The bank job, while obviously scripted, didn't feel it, not like "the boys" chase in Alabama, or the caravan fire. The Bentley gag was priceless, I wonder where parody protection ends and slander prosecution begins?

However, there were a few let downs.

Ditch SIARPC. Its pointless now, it was only there to draw interest in the show intially "look we have so-and-so on a race track!" Now that the shows really popular, all it does is cause them to edit down the news, or eliminate whole segments (like the Poland "fuel run" in S15). Plus they're terrible, no one will miss'em. TGUSA should also do this.

Why didn't they mention Mexico AT ALL during the news? I know someone who was at the filming said they did but it was cut, but surely something could have been left in? It seemed cowardly.

Lastly, CONSISTANT rules need to be established for the Power Board. The 911 Sports Classic was sold out, so they said they wouldn't test it, but both the Cossie and the Ford were sold out and they could? WTF? That ruined the otherwise very good test. Also why was the Volvo not run, but the W12 Golf? Neither will ever see production. And why was the Comparo T1 banned, when it is a production car?

And as for those who want "real" tests and no cocking about, might I suggest (with honestly no hostility) Fifth Gear? That might suit you more.

Ditch SIARPC. Its pointless now, it was only there to draw interest in the show intially "look we have so-and-so on a race track!" Now that the shows really popular, all it does is cause them to edit down the news, or eliminate whole segments (like the Poland "fuel run" in S15). Plus they're terrible, no one will miss'em. TGUSA should also do this.

No. I like the segment overall, especially if they have an interesting guest; there've been some fantastic ones over the years, IMO. In fact, this segment was my own gateway drug (if you like) to the show.

Why didn't they mention Mexico AT ALL during the news? I know someone who was at the filming said they did but it was cut, but surely something could have been left in? It seemed cowardly.

Jeremy wrote a column apologizing in the Sun. Richard wrote an apology on his Facebook page. The BBC has issued an apology. As far as I'm concerned, they don't need to apologize on air.

The Bentley...lmao loved it. Remember everyone, don't say "car" or "peach" in Albania! haha :)

No. I like the segment overall, especially if they have an interesting guest; there've been some fantastic ones over the years, IMO. In fact, this segment was my own gateway drug (if you like) to the show.

Jeremy wrote a column apologizing in the Sun. Richard wrote an apology on his Facebook page. The BBC has issued an apology. As far as I'm concerned, they don't need to apologize on air.

You misunderstood, I didn't want them to apologize, quite the opposite in fact. By not mentioning it, they appeared like scolded children, ignore the scolding and all will be well. When IMO they did nothing wrong.

even Andy did apologize...

even Andy did apologize...

You're right, even Andy Wilman sent a letter apologizing to the ambassador, that's four apologies total. Plus all the jokes that made "subtle" reference to the conflict. I counted 4.

Last edited:
I don't think they did anything wrong, either; I just think enough apologies were made, and there's no need for them to press the issue further. That's all. :)

I don't think they did anything wrong, either; I just think enough apologies were made, and there's no need for them to press the issue further. That's all. :)

I don't want to be hostile, but can you please read my post? I didn't want them to apologize!

I don't want to be hostile, but can you please read my post? I didn't want them to apologize!

:rolleyes:

Dude, she's not arguing that. She's just saying that there is no reason for them to even mention the Mexican thing again. It's done, it's over, move the fu*k on.

Six, (or seven if you include the Middle East Special). There are three left to air.

With the knowledge of what "car" means, watching this programme is never going to be the same again.

It's going to be like reading Harry Potter with an alternative meaning for "wand". (Try it, it's disturbingly hilarious)

(and yes, I am only watching this now.)

EDIT: Hammond's lack of appreciation for modern history annoys me.

EDIT2: Holy peach that police chase is WIN.

Last edited:
They dont have interwebs there...;)

Very funny. Actually we still live in caves and just recently discovered that the earth is not the center of the universe. Grow up u kids. As for the show i think it was one of the best episodes ever

I would love to see the abandoned submarine pen and the airfield of MIGs. No souvenirs, just my camera. I love old military technology... There is just something really cool about it.

Awesome. Albanian segment was hilarious and its always great to see them exploring the world. Cinematography and editing still impresses me and I've been watching since season 1.

At 47:30, Hammond says "These tiny little patches of land with these tiny little houses and people farming on it, has that to do with communism?" and JC answers "... he is the stupidest man in the world."

In which respect did they or Jezza mean that? Or what was the point they wanted to make with that?