[16x04] February 13th, 2011

[16x04] February 13th, 2011

• Total voters
British show, British cultural references. I don't expect TGUSA to explain every American aside. Go with the flow and look it up afterwards.

agree, this is a show for Brits, we forget that when we review sometimes.

I thought this episode was very ordinary.
So ordinary in fact that I'll score it a 5 out of 10.
The Zonda segment was pretty good, the rest of it was pretty poor. So yeah, balanced out it deserves 5/10.

"normal" episode. news segment was boring...magpie? the blond girl in the back was more entertaining.
zonda part was good, the lap + the time was a great bonus feature. i also was a bit disappointed by the three bmw's cause there are so many intresting cars out there...
7/10

Ending the interview JC calls Nick "FF", what does that stands for? F*** fat? :lol:

FF = "full fat". A term used with dairy products like milk - ie 'full fat' vs 'low fat'.

Also used when talking about the 'real' Range Rover - ie, 'Range Rover FF' vs 'Range Rover Sport' or 'Range Rover Evoque'.

FF = "full fat". A term used with dairy products like milk - ie 'full fat' vs 'low fat'.

I must have been at Uni for too long - my first thought was 'fat firetrucker' (with a couple of letters going mysteriously wayward)

Anyway, thought this episode was a solid 9/10. It delivered a whole lot of deep belly laughs in just one hour. I think it was aided by the fantastic guests (although I'm still not sold on Paul, I'll be first in line for "The World's End"), that ridiculous power of the Zonda and a fantastic bit of cultural whimsy in the news. I can understand why non-Ukanian members will rate that segment a lot lower, but as a proud Magpie saluter I found it warmly entertaining. Although I agree that the cheap car challenge fizzled with the stunt driving ending (although seeing their hopeless practices on the tarmac was still good telly) it still rolled along quite nicely through its length. The forensics test was genuinely interesting, and the helium segment had me in stitches. Good quality boy's humour.

Another cracking episode, looking forward to another serving next week.

Hmm. I think this should be a mid- to high 6.

BMW challenge: actually, this is a novelty, first time all presenters got the same car. I actually didn't mind them being exclusively on the track; a road trip would have been boring because they really couldn't emphasize the differences between manufacturing philosophies, and to bring out all the differences a car's history can make high-stress testing under closed conditions was required. I'm just disappointed they didn't bring out the rolling road machine. And the segment ending was pretty weak, although the scores tally was a partial saver.

News: traffic speed camera stuff thumbs up, magpies thumbs down.

SIARPC: Well, Simon Pegg was pretty entertaining last time he was on, and neither he nor Nick Frost were disappointments there. I was amazed by how similar Frost's finisher was to Gambon's.

Zonda: Well, I knew from JC's description of the car that there was no way it could set a lap time that would stay on the board. Pretty decent segment though.

Also used when talking about the 'real' Range Rover - ie, 'Range Rover FF' vs 'Range Rover Sport' or 'Range Rover Evoque'.

Well... my thought was definitely something more insulting (Fat F%$&) since we don't use "FF" to denote dairy products over here. :blink:
It made me cringe to say the least.

10/10 for me definitely. I can't remember laughing soo hard as I did for any recent episode like this one, I was almost in tears lol.

I need a helium canister so I can test my car that way. Just when you think they can't possibly think of another excellent way to test a used car, they come up with a gem like that.

I gave this episode an 8/10. Thought it was quite watchable, but realised the foolishness of my generosity when I switched the TV on afterwards and happened to watch Series 3 Episode 2 on BBC Knowledge .. they just seemed to pack much more into an episode back then (without it feeling rushed) .. that one had, goodbye to Black Stig, introduction of white Stig, BMW CSL, BMW M cars on Isle of Man, Volvo jumping caravans, James on the Ginster's Pastie, Stephen Fry, viewers letters including carbage, and roadsters on the Isle of Man. Those were the days.

8 from me, had some genuine lulz

Anyone know which race track Clarkson refered too when he said they cost $6 Billion pounds?

In his TG Magazine article on the Zonda R, he specified world-class race tracks costing upwards that much in terms of real estate and maintenance.

I gave this episode an 8/10. Thought it was quite watchable, but realised the foolishness of my generosity when I switched the TV on afterwards and happened to watch Series 3 Episode 2 on BBC Knowledge .. they just seemed to pack much more into an episode back then (without it feeling rushed) .. that one had, goodbye to Black Stig, introduction of white Stig, BMW CSL, BMW M cars on Isle of Man, Volvo jumping caravans, James on the Ginster's Pastie, Stephen Fry, viewers letters including carbage, and roadsters on the Isle of Man. Those were the days.
As usual, you're right on the money. That's pretty much what I meant in my first post about "feeling like you've watched an entire episode" and not just sit there for an hour. It's amazing how 3x02 could be so full of goodness, and is only 51 min. long?? There was room for even more!? :blink: :lol:. One of my favourites for sure. 4x03 was not bad either if you're looking for value :cool:.

Have we established the reason behind the concrete slab in the boot of Jeremy's beemer?

From now on, when I buy a 2nd hand car, as soon as I have the keys I'm taking it to get fully detailed, no doubt about that.....

Have we established the reason behind the concrete slab in the boot of Jeremy's beemer?
He's said similar things before about the original 3.0 CSL needing concrete in the back to stop the rear end sliding out. Combined with his comment about "3rd biggest killer of Yuppies as the rear would just let go" (which I know was a joke) I'd be inclined to think it really was an effort to improve handling. Of course I am probably most certainly wrong :lol:.

MarxOutThere said:
From now on, when I buy a 2nd hand car, as soon as I have the keys I'm taking it to get fully detailed, no doubt about that....
Don't blame ya. How interesting that this might have been Top Gear's most revealing consumer advice yet - and they didn't even mean it :p

Is it just me or are others also struggling to find the challenges entertaining... the news is honestly the only part that I really enjoy.... top gear was at its peak season 6-7-8 , some original ideas are needed!!