[16x04] February 13th, 2011

[16x04] February 13th, 2011

• Total voters
no, i thought it was wonderful. Im one of those people that doesnt wanna know shit about the show till its on and this was a very fun surprise for me. nothing cheap about it.
That's fair enough, and while I do like reading the spoilers section, I also like being surprised as well. What I meant by 'cheap laughs', and maybe it wasn't the best phrase to use, was if Andy has already said that the whole idea was to buy identical cars, why do they then decide to pretend that it was unintentional? Just doesn't add up, that's all.

That's fair enough, and while I do like reading the spoilers section, I also like being surprised as well. What I meant by 'cheap laughs', and maybe it wasn't the best phrase to use, was if Andy has already said that the whole idea was to buy identical cars, why do they then decide to pretend that it was unintentional? Just doesn't add up, that's all.

I guess 99% of viewers wouldn't have read Wilman Wonderland's statement, so it would not have mattered on the large scale, but it still doesn't add up like you said.

I still really enjoy all the new episodes, but I wish they'd drop the constant set-ups and bring more of the situational humor we saw in the past. Are the stakes so big now that they can't just let some things happen on their own?

I should run away now before I start a giant debate :p

I still really enjoy all the new episodes, but I wish they'd drop the constant set-ups and bring more of the situational humor we saw in the past. Are the stakes so big now that they can't just let some things happen on their own?
It's almost as if they feel they're gonna lose viewers by not being comedians. Someone should tell them that's not what brought them their huge fan-base and world-wide following. Two episodes left though, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

I wish I could like your post with some kinda, oooh I dunno... like... some kinda "Like" button? :p.

Agreed with those who are getting fed up with the fake premises of the challenges. I don't see what's wrong with just being honest and skipping the awkward and cringe-inducing "surprise" introduction. James "realizing" that they had to buy motorcycles in Vietnam was probably the worst, but this one was also pretty lame. Another example off the top of my head was the three picking their roles for the 1949 race out of a hat. Come on, why is that necessary? It's insulting to the viewers, really.

Other than that the episode was pretty ho hum. The news is completely useless and the "real" review was yet another limited edition of a car they've tested many times.

To be fair, much of what you see on film may have happened in the boardroom previously as the segments were taking shape. Perhaps that's where most of the 'banter' materialises & they capture that for the final 'script'. That 1949 race as the example, one of their researches may have got wind of the new 'old' train build which could be used in a segment where Jeremey & James had a broo-ha-ha of who would like to go in it, & Richard may have said something along the lines of " the only thing I would consdier worth driving from that era would've been the Vincent Black Shadow".

I rewatched most of Season 6, and it just seems like there's much more interesting things in there. The Maserati review, the Weismann/TVR review, SLK/Boxter Urban Shooting, etc. They're just so much more interesting because they're all so varied in landscape and location. The cars, while not being super duper expensive, were at least interesting.

And additional, I just feel a subtle shift in character in Hammond. He was just so much more spritely and cheerful before the crash.

I gave this a 10, because it gave me a good entertainment value, but compared to the earlier seasons...

I rewatched most of Season 6, and it just seems like there's much more interesting things in there.

Absolutely.

I've given it a week before posting because I thought maybe I was just in a bad mood or something, but 16x04 is possibly the first episode I won't ever watch any of again. There's just nothing going on, compared to earlier seasons and the great start to this current series. The first 3 episodes were such a pleasant surprise, for a moment I thought Top Gear might be a car show again. Episode 4 was pants though. The beemers were mildly entertaining but this whole thing is now really very boring, mostly because they try doing something like this every 2nd episode rather than once a series in the glory days. And it took up half the time. SIARPC has never been my favourite part of the show so perhaps not fair to judge, but I found myself drifting off again. And then the only test in the whole episode is of a car you can't use on a road or on the track, and that nobody can buy anyway. These kinds of cars are great if you have a test of a Fiesta or whatever in there somewhere too but I've rarely felt so unsatisfied with an hour of Top Gear. Maybe never.

It's the pointlessness of it all I can't stand. I see they make their own snow plow in episode 5. I want to die of boredom already. Honestly I never thought I'd ever say this but I can't be bothered to download it. Yes, me, massively almost-religious fan of Top Gear since 2002 can't be bothered to download an episode.

First 3 episodes were good though. Nowhere near as good anything in Series 6 as mentioned above but still good as far as modern, silly Top Gear goes.

It's almost as if they feel they're gonna lose viewers by not being comedians. Someone should tell them that's not what brought them their huge fan-base and world-wide following. Two episodes left though, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

Yes. But how sad also that there are only two left :( As far as I'm concerned 6 episodes don't make a "series" of anything.

Last edited:
Why does everyone seem to have something against the test track? Did it insult your mother? Punch when you were little? It's not like every challenge they've ever done is at the track. I enjoyed it very much. It was very funny and a nice take on a cheap car test. All used cars are not equal.

Zonda film was great.

Last edited:
This was the best episode of the series so far to me. Its great showing 3 almost identical vehicles in the old car challenge and how much the past owners actually affect the cars.

Enjoyable show, fun guests. I liked the part about those old bimmers. Though I'd liked to have seen one that had been found in top condition. To see how much better it is compared to the junkers.

I give it a 7.
I dont like the fact they all had the same car in the cheap car challenge. I t was alright, the helium was funny. But it just wasnt the same as the usual cheap car challenges were used to.
Id like to see a "Cheap Four Seater Convertible" done again but properly in a future season and theyre not allowed to buy a BMW. Youve got mercs, audis, saabs, and a few others.

I gave this ep a 9/10 - really enjoyed the cheap car challenge (and, since I was listening to it at work, it was damned hard not to laugh out loud at the helium bit), the news was fine, the Zonda review was fine and I didn't fast forward through SIARPC for a change. Personally, that could get dropped and I wouldn't mind, I do tend to skip it, but the two guys on this week were pretty good.

Haven't seen all of the season 16 eps yet (waiting on either BBC Canada or iTunes to hustle and make them available), but this was one of my faves of the ones I've seen.