[16x04] June 29th, 2009

[16x04] June 29th, 2009

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I enjoyed today's fifth gear more than last nights top gear.
The Aston was ace, Mini vs. Mazda was interesting, DIY mechanic bit was informative and the wheelie cars displayed world class cocking about, miles better than the tired soap opera that was the 17 year old challenge on TG.

OK the XJS and the ghostbusters car was a bit bland, but all in all it was a very good effort.

I agree. Fifth Gear seems to be really comfortable with their car reviews and the entertainment bits have become quite goody over time. They seem to be comfortable with being a car show as oposed to Top Gear who venture into entertainment with mixed results.

The only downside to the Fifth Gear format are the celebrity bits, which they should get rid of. Luckily there were none in this ep.

I enjoyed the episode but fifth gear needs to learn that steel box tubing is NOT suitable for a rollcage!:rolleyes:

Goppingly awful. Three unwatchable segments with that noxious half-wit Donny, a decent Aston Martin review spoiled by Tiff's tumescent blithering about grabbing a little air, and three segments that were so ponderous I only vaguely recall they were about convertibles, 4x4s, and a Volvo having some service done.

Two points. A half for the laugh I got from Tom's fake smile as he introduced the 4x4 bit, one for the Aston not looking as much like a squashed catfish the way Astons usually do, even if it was a fetid iPod white, and the final half point because the show ended, marking the end of the series for me.

I quite liked. I was missing challenges between Tom and Jonny. Found very interesting that garage concept, where you just rent the space and pay by the hour. People from UK: do you know whether this kind of venture is going well?

Michael Schumacher isn't the Stig, Jonny Smith is! :lol:

Snapshot2009-06-2923-02-00.jpg

Gave it a 7. Not bad overall.

Anyone else notice they filmed the drag race at the Top Gear track? heh

Goppingly awful. Three unwatchable segments with that noxious half-wit Donny, a decent Aston Martin review spoiled by Tiff's tumescent blithering about grabbing a little air, and three segments that were so ponderous I only vaguely recall they were about convertibles, 4x4s, and a Volvo having some service done.

Two points. A half for the laugh I got from Tom's fake smile as he introduced the 4x4 bit, one for the Aston not looking as much like a squashed catfish the way Astons usually do, even if it was a fetid iPod white, and the final half point because the show ended, marking the end of the series for me.

I think you should consult a psychologist :p

As for me, Fifth Gear seems to be quite comfortable as to what sort of show there are. I find their reviews much more thorough.
All in all, for me, Top Gear is for entertainment while Fifth Gear is more about cars facts.

I did notice that. I saw the airfield, and I thought, "Hey's, that's Dunsfold!" The bit of tarmac where they met to show off their wheelie cars for the first time looked like the Second-To-Last Corner.:D

As I just posted in another thread...

Am I sick of Fifth Gear because of that bonehead Tim Shaw and Jason Plato thinking that slurs against women is a good thing, or because they have dumped Vicki from the prime-time (thanks for the WebTV so I can watch her without it). Tiff and Vicki were it for me - those two are the only ones who really seem to have genuine fun doing their jobs.

Tom and Jonny took a while to grow on me, but Tim.. at least stop sitting in those leather sofas, you're a pair of legs with a head!!

Copying Top Gear with the "rubbish challenges," please give me a break....

I could go on, but this feels too much like a rant. :)

Yes, I know this is only my third post, but nothing has made me really want to speak up until this travesty of a season.

Poor MR2. :(

Not a bad episode. I love the Aston. 7/10

Fifth gear should stick with doing more car reviews rather than dumb stunts.

Last edited:

Also noticed the Aston review was on the same Alpine track they did the $1500 Cheap car Challenge / Lorries.

Also +1 on that poor MR2, having owned one before. :(

Actually I felt the episode was a bit 'eh' tbh.

... I too liked the wheelie-bit segment. I laughed ... so it worked. But the rest of the Episode was a bit of a letdown. The whole "do it yourself - rent a lift"-thing is old news for us germans, so that was boring for me. Plato and the Mini vs Mx5 had a surprising result for me ... but I couldn?t care less about both cars ... so that fell flat too. Tom and the Urban Cruiser ... after that segment they went on about how they only review cars if they think "we" (the audience) would be interested in them ... the Urban Cruiser eh? :blink: I kind of feel a bit insulted. That Yaris-SUV looks stupid, has a stupid concept and a stupid name ... who would be interested in that? But Tom got the verdict right at least ...
The Ghostbusters thing ... :|
Tiff and the Vantage abomination ... <_< this was kind of upsetting because I really love the standart vantage looks and putting a V12 into that sounds just perfect ... but the whole segment I was just furious about those hood-scoops ... that looks garstly! So I couldn?t enjoy it at all ...
Used car advice on the V12 Jag ... was terrible. There can be only one advice on that Car ... STAY AWAY FROM IT (if it hasn?t been 100% restored and will cost no less than 20000 Pounds). "Try to get a good one for 4000 UK-money" - that?s not advice ... that?s stupid.

Gave it a 4/10 ... :( hopefully next week will be better ...

If they would just leave the cocking about section and do the reviews, they would get a 10 from me. The car reviews are really good, these guys really are improving.

I enjoyed the episode overall. The aston is very good and Tiff does that stuff well (although I do wish they'd stop refering to it as the 'fifth gear alpine track', it just isn't). The wheelie car challenge was good fun but spoilt by the many "next week...", "coming up...", "later on..." segments where they showed the clip of how it all ended. Plus, I remember Scrapheap Challenge doing a similar challenge in one episode, albeit, not with cars worth as much. I had never heard of that rent-a-garage scheme before, it sounds interesting, but I would not fancy driving a car that had just had it's brakes changed by me! The cheapskate feature was good, but I do have a softspot for that big old jag ever since I had a Corgi model when I was 5, so I'm biased. I like Johnny, but the ghostbusters thing wasn't really neccesary Finally, the Mini Vs MX-5. I missed the beggining because certain people in my house wanted to watch Andy Murray playing at Wimbledon and I hadn't set the Sky+ to record, but I saw the timed laps and, despite the result, I'd have the Mazda. A good episode, 7/10.

F.A.O. Fifth Gear Producers, Put Vicki back on the proper tv, no more of this 'web tv' nonsense.

I accidentally gave the ep. a 6, meant to give it a 7... I too did enjoy this fifth gear ep. more than last nights TG ep. But i think Tim Shaw needs to go, even though his segment last night was OK. But the studio bits are awful.