[16x05] February 20th, 2011

[16x05] February 20th, 2011

• Total voters
I gave it a 3. BORING episode all around.

btw how did they get the Dominator to Norway - surely it wasn't driven there? Flying that thing must be more expensive than flying a car, right? But I guess the insurance is a lot cheaper so it evens out.

Probably via container ship.

Jeremy headbutting the snow was the lowest point Top Gear has reached so far. It is that little bit that took it from comedy/car-show to pure, and stupid copy of Jackass. Jeremy may play dumb a lot of times, but this was too much - he is not that stupid!

It's usually not a plus when I found the SIARPC segment one of the more interesting segments of the show.

6/10

I gave it a 7/10, but I was feeling generous. I liked the BMW vs Audi film and I thought the SIARPC segment had some real laughs for once. The snowplow segment was hit and miss. I thought a few parts were amusing enough, but it all seemed so horribly staged and fake. Suspension of disbelief is a lost art.

I thought this episode was fine. I'm always going to be interested in a comparo involving an M3 ... although, I wish they would do some of these tests off the track once in a while. Loved the fact that they didn't try to fail with their challenge. James' stunned mesmerism after the SIARPC segment was amusing :lol:

8/10

Am I the only one that noticed Jeremy's eyebrows? I think he had them trimmed. Looks nice.

I love anything with big machinery and men working on it. I actually had a heart flutter when I realized how close they were to that railing. When it got stuck and they were trying to get it out, it made me think about the best job I every had. I am absolutely nuts over a machine with big tires trying to get unstuck. Oh boy. Had that a lot in my old job. (actually went over one day. Dumped all of us in the back out on it's first roll. The driver, my husband, rode it all the way down as he was belted in. He only received minor injuries and I had a black eye probably from someones boot hitting me because I had mud on my face)

For probably the first time ever I did not like the SIARPC. I didn't hate her, but she is like fluff. She did have some good comebacks to Jeremy and I do like to see Jeremy really enjoying a guest, but something about her I just didn't like. Still didn't hurt the show, just didn't make it better.

I give it an 8/10. Cocking about town in the snowbine was pretty bad but the rest of it was good. Jeremy checking the depth of snow multiple times was enough alone to give it a 5/10.

The end combine bit was a little too scripted for my tastes, but otherwise a decent episode.

Jeremy headbutting the snow was the lowest point Top Gear has reached so far.

Really? Even worse than "Race For the Universe" in 2x08, where they tried to sort out whether Darth Vader or Ming the Merciless was faster in a Honda Civic?

Am I alone in thinking this is the weakest episode in this series? 5/10.

Maybe it's just me, but even though Amber Heard is gorgeous, she is one of those Americans that gives Americans the reputation of being stupid or uneducated. She didn't really say anything of importance during her interview, she can't drive nearly as good as she thinks she can, she's just some eye candy that's relevant for the moment.

I thought this was a pretty weak episode. I prefer the nerdy, care-bore talk to focusing on these strange tasks. I did like the M3, RS4 segment however old the rivalry is. The combine-plow was entertaining but scripted to a point that any mayhem caused was predictable. I guess this was an episode to satisfy those who became fans because of the 9th season.

Maybe it's just me, but even though Amber Heard is gorgeous, she is one of those Americans that gives Americans the reputation of being stupid or uneducated. She didn't really say anything of importance during her interview, she can't drive nearly as good as she thinks she can, she's just some eye candy that's relevant for the moment.

I agree she didn't seem like a great choice for an interview other than Clarkson wanted to flirt with her a bit. I believe the track images are patched together from all the laps they run but watching her go around gave me impression that she hadn't bothered to remember any of TG's advice.

Last edited:
Hot chick, retarded car tests, absolutely idiotic challenge. TOP GEAR IS BACK BABY!!! :D

Hey, what's the matter with having a typically, good looking Austin Texas-bred girl as the SIARPC? :lol:

That aside, she wasn't exactly the best interview ever, eh? And she was certainly proof of the theory that just because someone loves cars...that doesn't necessarily mean they know how to drive. Down here we have an expression for that, which you may have heard...."He/she is all hat and no cattle."

As for the snowplow, I absolutely hated the first segment, laughed a bit at the second. The tragedy of it was that even though they "succeeded", I really do think they could have created something useful had they tried..and they still could have gotten laughs out of it.

The one thing I did really enjoy was Clarkson's attitude during the BMW/Audi test. It's not often enough that a reviewer of any kind calls a spade a spade and says that just because a car has more bells and whistles that doesn't make it any better than a cheaper model. It's a point that should be made to every single person who is considering a piece of expensive European equipment. I'm just so sick and tired of European manufacturers loading up the cars they send us here in the states with electronic crap when back on the Continent, and to an extent the UK, you can buy the same cars with a much more reasonable level of equipment.

Overall....8/10 due to Amber (so I'm prejudiced!:)) and the test.

Last edited:
I gave it a 6. The Star+Car was a bit meh; hotness doesn't make up for a lack of good conversation or banter as we saw. And there are hotter examples who CAN drive.

I liked the idea of the challenge, it was pretty good, but I didn't like how they executed it. The flamethrower for no reason was a bit weak, and the crashing around in the town was pointless.

The review at the beginning was a bit interesting, but nothing spectacular.

After re-watching the vast majority of the show (from series 3 onwards to series 14), I've reached a conclusion that the challenges are best when it's Jeremy VS the other two, in accomplishing something.

The magic that the three of them have when 'cocking about' is missing here; they're still trying to be too cartooney I think.

The best part about SIARPC was she thought Jeremy had a Prius. That made me laugh.