[16x05] July 6th, 2009

[16x05] July 6th, 2009

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I thought it was a very good episode, maybe not as good as previous weeks episodes but still good nonetheless.

Good GTI review, and Mazda3 review. Tim's thing covering the pot holes has been covered by them before, I'm sure of it.

Aston DBS convertible/Judge Jules part did seem a bit pointless though.

The tanks were good, especially the last part. Plato getting hit on the head after running over the mine made me laugh quite a bit. "something hit me on the head.... about 3 seconds after the explosion" :lol:

It's been a while since I laughed this hard...
Jason being hit in the head, brilliant
I thought you were good at racing diesels

-tell me you didn't arrange that
-I arranged that,tim!
classic! =))

I don't know. The way they set the show, it all feels the same every week now.

It was OK by me - Tanks in a "dogfight" what is not to like "Something hit me on the head!" :lol:

As a Focus fanboy I was surprised that the Mazda 3 was so good and I would look at one if I need to change cars but I think that they were talking list prices and the Focus can be haggled down substantially if you play your cards right, I think that is not so possible with Mazda dealers - still. ...

*snips*

As a Focus fanboy I was surprised that the Mazda 3 was so good and I would look at one if I need to change cars but I think that they were talking list prices and the Focus can be haggled down substantially if you play your cards right, I think that is not so possible with Mazda dealers - still. ...

Agree, the Focus for me too, but Mazda 3 looks good.

Also, although the Tank dogfight was quite good, Tiff and Jason don?t do funny as well as Tom and Jonny.

Approval for the new Golf from Jonny, but the tens thing seemed a bit conservative from VW given the alternatives. Also, the Dick Turpin ride to York didn?t make sense or at least I didn?t get the point.

Nice Aston Martin DBS Volante would make room for one of these, celeb was not so appealing.

Potholes by Tim, well was sort of interesting & relevant but doesn?t really fit into the show.

The car test on the Lotus Evora by Tiff, was the usual good standard, but what?s with the contortionists, the gag did not work for me. Good car though, me like.
:)

Good:-
Is it new but is it any good <- I really like this section, this episode was also interesting
Lotus Evora <- the review could have been better but still it was ok.

Bad:-
Potholes <- Booooooooooooring
Golf GTI review <- One of the most exciting cars of the year to be released and one of the most boring reviews

Ugly:-
The tank thingy was a mass of stupidity. They should have a suiced bomber competition next time and free us of our misery

The tank thingy was a mass of stupidity. They should have a suiced bomber competition next time and free us of our misery

phahahaha That's genius !

Dunno, this week's ep didn't click with me.

Tom and Johnny's reviews weren't their usual quality at all. Pot hole thing was about as interesting as really dry consumer advice is ever going to get, which is still pretty uninteresting. Celeb thing was death even by their usual subterranean standards. And WTF with the tanks? The only real interesting bits were the tank crushing the snot out of Tim's cheap ride, and a brief flash of lycra cameltoe during the Lotus review.

Tis a shame, Fifth Gear were doing well this series...

pretty boring episode... I love the Aston and was really looking forward to the preview/review but it was 5% car and 95% irrelevant crap.

Pretty good if they didn't have the tank segments. Expected more from the reviews though.

Watched it as it aired. I now know why I don't bother with 5th gear anymore.

GTI, Mazda where good also liked the DBS but other than that was pretty much a waste of my time the tank challange was just pointless.

Wow... this thread hasn't gone past one page in 3 days... clearly this episode of FG was as popular as gonorrhoea...

I thought it was ok, but I wish 5G would get back to those days when it was a show for the car enthusiast. For instance, stuff that Drivers Republic has been doing lately is so much better with much less resources..

Specifically on this episode 7/10 from me.
Tanks - interesting twist on the dogfight, felt sort of refreshing
Potholes - dry consumer advice, could have skipped it
Golf GTI - same as Johnny's Audi R8 V10 review, it felt short on enthusiasm about the car, he finished the review saying that it is the best all-round hot hatch, but I had no idea why. Why not compare it to the Sirocco..
Aston Martin DBS - great noise, great looks, but again that bit would have been more interesting if they didn't plug in another "celebrity"
Lotus Evora - solid review

Didn't like the tank dogfight. The Evora and Mazda3 review were good. Overall, 7/10.