[16x06] February 27th, 2011

[16x06] February 27th, 2011

• Total voters
The fact that they made a drive across the breadth of Britain at night seem genuinely exciting earns this a 9.5 alone. Loved James' film. Fantastic episode. They really saved the best for last. No segment was too long or wearing. Every minute of it was fun. Even the interview.

I did like the classic supercar comparison. Richard is the perfect bloke for it.
Jeremy's challenge was extremely odd and kind of boring.
SIARPC was fun, but they both seemed to rub each other the wrong way, mostly smiling just to get through the filming....
Jame's moon rover segment was fun, but it seemed spliced in from one of his other specials. I just didn't see how it applied. I think they were stretching for time filler.

Overall, about a 7. Not terrible, but no way to end a season. Well, maybe THIS season.

Hey

That's what top gear is, and what it should always be !!! a great show with fantastique cars, a lot of fun, some incredible filming and a lot of passion.
I loved richard finally having a good test of cars... they could have also done this with richard in the porscher and JC in the fezza (like they used to do) but this was quite perfect.
Richard is really found of cars and it appears in the filming... that's what I want from top gear, to share this passion.
James part was enormous... he is perfect for giving the thrill of the ride... I loved it.
The challenge with the sun was also quite good, and the SIARPC was also extremely interesting even if I didn't knew the guy... it was brave to come in such a petrolhead show..
I don't think it is a perfect season finale, but this is a perfect top gear.
I was quite confused by the season so far (for the first time in 16 season) but hopefully there was the 15x07 and this one... they save everything.

Oh and I'm just a bit perplex on richard doing extreme sideways in the F40... the guy behind the wheel seems humm..... a lot taller :)

Last edited:
Hey

That's what top gear is, and what it should always be !!! a great show with fantastique cars, a lot of fun, some incredible filming and a lot of passion.
I loved richard finally having a good test of cars... they could have also done this with richard in the porscher and JC in the fezza (like they used to do) but this was quite perfect.
Richard is really found of cars and it appears in the filming... that's what I want from top gear, to share this passion.
James part was enormous... he is perfect for giving the thrill of the ride... I loved it.
The challenge with the sun was also quite good, and the SIARPC was also extremely interesting even if I didn't knew the guy... it was brave to come in such a petrolhead show..
I don't think it is a perfect season finale, but this is a perfect top gear.
I was quite confused by the season so far (for the first time in 16 season) but hopefully there was the 15x07 and this one... they save everything.

Oh and I'm just a bit perplex on richard doing extreme sideways in the F40... the guy behind the wheel seems humm..... a lot taller :)

I'm not sure why, but I read your entire post in a french accent. It sounded even more elated and genuine. :)

Last edited:
Was kinda funny to see Prescott on there getting some digs, but on the whole, I find him and his labour cronies to be totally insufferable. Yes he is part of the merry band of fuckwits that ran our country into the ground, and now a new band of fuckwits has taken over to ensure the job is completed. I wont go into everything thats wrong with the morons who get to run this place. Prescott is a twat. End of.

959 vs F40 was good, but would of been nice to see James or Jeremy do it, Hamster just doesnt have the on-screen charisma of those two.

I liked the moon buggy thing. Having not seen any of James own shows where he filmed it before.

Cool wall was meh, news meh.

what exactly happened to the Ferrari F40 or were both breakdowns staged?

He mentioned it what they return to the studio. "Seals" I think is what he said.

its maybe because they havnt ben driven like that in years.

Or possibly....

Funny_Pictures_29519.jpg

I was precisely thinking about that cartoon while considering whether to reply to this post:

James May made a film about somthing he truly understands and has passion about. its wonderful when he does anything with NASA.

Hmm, don't be so certain about what he understands. It seems it was only last week that he understood the law of conservation of energy. See his last column and compare with what he said on TopGear (something like: there is hydrogen everywhere, it is just a matter of engineering to split it from other atoms).

In the case of the moon buggy it seemed to me a bit unrealistic, due to its large mass. But if the Ares V would have been built, its payload was planned to be 71 metric tons to the Moon, so it seems more possible.

the bottom line, Top Gear made me want to punch my president tonight. How DARE you scrap the missions.

The only question has always been, which president would cancel the Moon program. You might not be familiar with the comments about Ares I and V, Orion, etc., but years ago various commentators were criticising those programs (you can find those criticisms on the net, for instance in the newsgroups sci.space.*) because:
  • It was supposed to be fast, cheap and with minimal technical risk by reusing components from the Space Shuttle. But in fact, those components needed significant modifications (e.g. 5-segment SRB, versus 4-segment), so it was in fact slow, expensive and risky.
  • the mass margins were low (later they got negative). This is important, because the easy way to solve many problems is to add a system, reinforce a part, etc., all things that add mass. But if you don't have mass margin, then you need to redesign everything in the hope of shaving enough mass elsewhere so that you have some to deal with the original problem.
  • the large majority of the costs involved in NASA's space operations are the development (billions) and fixed maintenance costs (more billions, I think). Relatively to that the marginal cost of each launch is "small" (few hundreds of millions, IIRC) and fuel costs are very small. As such, although it looks wasteful, it would be cheaper to only develop Ares V and use it (with water ballast if necessary) for the missions intended for Ares I than to develop both rockets, specially as the total number of flights is low (tens, not hundreds, IIRC).

These problems (and probably others which I don't remember) were so obvious and significant that, in 2006 (that is nearly 5 years ago and more than 2 years before Obama), some NASA engineers made an alternate proposal (in their spare time) called Jupiter Direct .

Of course, technical problems are solvable. The successful programs of 50's and 60's didn't work the first time either. But at the time there was enough funding. For instance, I read the book about the X-15 and one thing that impressed me was the amount of redesign (and the budget overruns caused by that) that happened.

Constellation was supposed to be made in a flat budget using mostly the money saved by terminating the Shuttle without big increases in NASA's total budget.
As such many people were very skeptical that the money for building Ares V would ever appear and so expected the Moon missions to be cancelled sooner or later.

the one thing that will bering this world together even if its only for a few minutes at a time. everyone is inspired by the men and women in space programs around the world and even more inspired when they do something like go to the moon or mars.

Go (re-)watch/read Apollo 13. By only the 3rd moon landing attempt the (American) public had got so bored/uninterested by the missions that the TV networks did not broadcast live from the capsule until the accident.

And although Mars is more interesting than the Moon, the difficulties (technical, medical, seriously risky in a very risk-adverse society) and the expense are so great that is doubtful that it will happen in the foreseeable future.

Don't get me wrong. I am interested in (manned) space exploration and I would love to see it restart. But I think it is unlikely (in my lifetime?).

I was precisely thinking about that cartoon while considering whether to reply to this post:

Hmm, don't be so certain about what he understands. It seems it was only last week that he understood the law of conservation of energy. See his last column and compare with what he said on TopGear (something like: there is hydrogen everywhere, it is just a matter of engineering to split it from other atoms).

In the case of the moon buggy it seemed to me a bit unrealistic, due to its large mass. But if the Ares V would have been built, its payload was planned to be 71 metric tons to the Moon, so it seems more possible.

The only question has always been, which president would cancel the Moon program. You might not be familiar with the comments about Ares I and V, Orion, etc., but years ago various commentators were criticising those programs (you can find those criticisms on the net, for instance in the newsgroups sci.space.*) because:
  • It was supposed to be fast, cheap and with minimal technical risk by reusing components from the Space Shuttle. But in fact, those components needed significant modifications (e.g. 5-segment SRB, versus 4-segment), so it was in fact slow, expensive and risky.
  • the mass margins were low (later they got negative). This is important, because the easy way to solve many problems is to add a system, reinforce a part, etc., all things that add mass. But if you don't have mass margin, then you need to redesign everything in the hope of shaving enough mass elsewhere so that you have some to deal with the original problem.
  • the large majority of the costs involved in NASA's space operations are the development (billions) and fixed maintenance costs (more billions, I think). Relatively to that the marginal cost of each launch is "small" (few hundreds of millions, IIRC) and fuel costs are very small. As such, although it looks wasteful, it would be cheaper to only develop Ares V and use it (with water ballast if necessary) for the missions intended for Ares I than to develop both rockets, specially as the total number of flights is low (tens, not hundreds, IIRC).

These problems (and probably others which I don't remember) were so obvious and significant that, in 2006 (that is nearly 5 years ago and more than 2 years before Obama), some NASA engineers made an alternate proposal (in their spare time) called Jupiter Direct .

Of course, technical problems are solvable. The successful programs of 50's and 60's didn't work the first time either. But at the time there was enough funding. For instance, I read the book about the X-15 and one thing that impressed me was the amount of redesign (and the budget overruns caused by that) that happened.

Constellation was supposed to be made in a flat budget using mostly the money saved by terminating the Shuttle without big increases in NASA's total budget.
As such many people were very skeptical that the money for building Ares V would ever appear and so expected the Moon missions to be cancelled sooner or later.

Go (re-)watch/read Apollo 13. By only the 3rd moon landing attempt the (American) public had got so bored/uninterested by the missions that the TV networks did not broadcast live from the capsule until the accident.

And although Mars is more interesting than the Moon, the difficulties (technical, medical, seriously risky in a very risk-adverse society) and the expense are so great that is doubtful that it will happen in the foreseeable future.

Don't get me wrong. I am interested in (manned) space exploration and I would love to see it restart. But I think it is unlikely (in my lifetime?).

ill save the forum from my arguement about the obama thing i said earlier but as far as the James May comment, please see "James May On The Moon" and "James May At The Edge Of Space"

I'm glad episode 5 wasn't the last of the series because THAT was ... And this is the first time I use a pejorative term to describe a TG episode (must mean something).... Horrid.
This one was more fun, when I heard Prescott was the guest I thought "Oh god, Jezza's going to enumerate all the times where he's said something bad about him and then claim he was misquoted." ... However, It turned out to be good, along with the rest of the episode.

Um, guys, on a side note, didn't the "trailer" on the US special episode show Hammond driving a big red thingy (A Marauder I think it was), and a Hummer exploding?
Or does "All that is to come" which Jeremy said after the preview refer to 2011?

Hi, i have hd ready tv. 1080p
Should i go for the 1080p or 720p version, do I get thet much more with 1080p?

I watched all the seasons but now would like to see them hd.

The cost of John Prescott wasn't really the point. He's the former Deputy Prime Minister and Transport Minister and as belligerent a man as Clarkson himself. Now he's out of office, he's turning himself into a "media personality", as many ex-politicians do. I bet Clarkson couldn't wait to get him on the show.

Those two are a LOT more alike than either one would be loathe to admit.

Hi, i have hd ready tv. 1080p
Should i go for the 1080p or 720p version, do I get thet much more with 1080p?

I watched all the seasons but now would like to see them hd.
Go with the 720p if you don't mind download more data, and by the way there is no 1080p release, only the 1080i.
There isn't much of a difference, especially if you're watching from a solid distance like let's say 4-5m.