[16x06] February 27th, 2011

[16x06] February 27th, 2011

• Total voters
959, F40, Cool Wall (finally), and a James May film? Solid ep. 9/10!

Overall 8/10 for the season. Thanks TG! Looking forward to the summer season.

Why do you all think the jag race was boring? I was really tense watching it wondering if he would beat the sun, trying to figure out where he was ahead or behind, and the car was nice to look at and hear.

... what the hell else is a challange supposed to consist of?

(9/10, more like this please, see you in june!

everything was fun. great top gear.

they had on top gear enemy #1 and it was very good as a guest

Jezza raced...God, epic.

F40...(jizz)

James May made a film about somthing he truly understands and has passion about. its wonderful when he does anything with NASA.

the bottom line, Top Gear made me want to punch my president tonight. How DARE you scrap the missions. the one thing that will bering this world together even if its only for a few minutes at a time. everyone is inspired by the men and women in space programs around the world and even more inspired when they do something like go to the moon or mars.

I personally found this the best episode of Series 16, but not the best of all the Series, so I rounded up and gave it an 8.

the bottom line, Top Gear made me want to punch my president tonight. How DARE you scrap the missions. the one thing that will bering this world together even if its only for a few minutes at a time. everyone is inspired by the men and women in space programs around the world and even more inspired when they do something like go to the moon or mars.

Because we have to pay our ridiculous defense/massive army budget for fighting the great american-soviet war of 2025, while keeping our hideously overpriced healthcare system funded, while paying for ongoing tax cuts.

Want moon missions? Tiny army and massive taxes. Try finding a politician willing to run on THAT platform!

I must admit, I did like this episode a lot. I love cars, and I enjoy going back and watching clips from Old Top Gear on YouTube (Stuff like Jezza road testing the BMW 328 and 318 in the 90's, or Chris Goffey testing executive saloons). I also enjoy the early episodes of the new format of Top Gear, and there is one thing I noticed. If you go and watch Top Gear Series 1 Episode 1, there is just so much in it, you will feel like you have watched more than one episode. However in the newer episodes they do not seem to be able to fit a lot in. I really did not like last week's episode, however this week's episode was fantastic.

I think it is good when they do a documentary-style piece on old cars, and they talk a wee bit about the history of the car. Unfortunately I didn't properly see Richard's part of the episode as I was busy. However Jezza's Jag race was good, and it was quite gripping at times, I also liked Jame's Moon Buggy Film. I have a lot of respect for James May because he knows properly how to present things, and he has lots of strings to his bow (having a degree in Music, holding a Pilot's license, etc.).

I do enjoy the banter on Top Gear, I love Cheap Car Challenges and races, but sometimes I feel that they take the messing about too far. Take the Skoda Yeti review from the first episode of this season, for example. While Jezza technically wasn't lying about it, it was awful contrived and just wasn't proper journalism. I do miss the proper road tests, and to be honest I look for my fix elsewhere, but I would love it if Top Gear could go back to where they were when the new format started. They managed to balance the larking about with proper car journalism and practical advice such as Insider Dealing.

I don't know who you are William but well done for tonight's episode!

Because we have to pay our ridiculous defense/massive army budget for fighting the great american-soviet war of 2025, while keeping our hideously overpriced healthcare system funded, while paying for ongoing tax cuts.

Want moon missions? Tiny army and massive taxes. Try finding a politician willing to run on THAT platform!

Cutting military spending by 3% would pay for all of NASA. No need to go down to a tiny army, and no need to raise taxes.
Alternatively, not keeping the top bracket tax cuts would also pay for NASA on its own - about five times their current budget year after year.

In essence, either a tiny bit less of a tax cut for the top few percent or a tiny cut to the military budget could easily pay for all of NASA.

Where was the film of the Marauder? Honestly?! We've been waiting for that for months - MONTHS!! Why?? *anguish*
Thumbs up to the return of the cool wall but why do they have cars on there twice? Evo twice (uncool and sub zero?) :(
I'm going to put myself in a chemically induced coma until June.

10. Absolutely perfect.

10/10. Loved this episode. The F40 and 959 was a nice flashback to my childhood. Nice seeing the cool wall back as well. :D I give Series 16 an 8.5/10 as a whole

Cutting military spending by 3% would pay for all of NASA. No need to go down to a tiny army, and no need to raise taxes.
Alternatively, not keeping the top bracket tax cuts would also pay for NASA on its own - about five times their current budget year after year.

In essence, either a tiny bit less of a tax cut for the top few percent or a tiny cut to the military budget could easily pay for all of NASA.

Not spending $800 BILLION on a useless 'stimulus' package that created few jobs and was mostly wasted (except for all the money that went into supporters' coffers) would have also paid for NASA quite handily.

Last edited:
Not one of the all time greats but it was still a good episode. Race the sun was a great idea, but hey were smart enough to keep it short. If they'd spent a half hour on that segment, it would have gotten a wee bit boring. :)

I gave it an 8. Solid episode.

Pretty decent episode. I particularly like the interview with Prescott but really loved the NASA Moon Buggy Mark II segment. I grew up just miles away from NASA, with astronauts as neighbors and a huge love for all things space. Hell, I even went to Space Center Intermediate, which is now located on NASA property. I've always had a special place for NASA so it was good to see a bit of love for the program

Why is the windscreen of the 959 blurred at 2:25??? Who cares if Richard didn't drive it at that shot?... Strange...
Maybe it was the non-helmeted stig...?

Last edited:
The Hypocrite We Know and Love

The Hypocrite We Know and Love

Oh, and after all the crap Jeremy gave Porsche for the 'Cockster' because it was built to fill a performance/price hole in their line I CANNOT believe he is so excited about the new Aston, which as he admitted is made to fill a gap.:rolleyes:

F40, 959, drag race, Queens of the Stone Age. I giggled like a little girl. Great film. During the "track" thing, note the grey SLS ? did Jeremy buy one?

News: Dunsfold Grand Prix would be great. Classic Jeremy rant. I have *got* to see that Senna film. iInfection. Best news of the series.

Racing the sun was phenomenal. Great idea, brilliant execution. "I am going to thrash God". Really like that Jag.

SIARPC: Awkward, but hilarious. Prescott didn't seem like he really wanted to be there except to lecture Jezza, but that's a stupid idea. Both seemed like they should be drinking scotch while sitting there. Someone should have superglued Prescott's butt to his chair. There was something that Jeremy said to the TV that seemed to be muted. Maybe the audio was just messed up there.

Cool Wall: Finally. Jeebus. "It's a Renault Fart, innit?"

James May doing something space related is an instant win. Good one.

10/10

9/10 At or around the top of regular season episode but still a mere mortal compared to Vietnam, Bolivia, and the Pole.

Great episode though. Prescot confirmed my latest theory on SIARPC, knowing who someone is has no effect on how interesting the interviews are. That was thoroughly entertaining.
The challenge was not the greatest but it was really a great idea and looked great.

Fantastic job by James at the end.

Maybe it was the non-helmeted stig...?

Probably. Could hardly notice the blur. These guys do such an amazing job in post production.