[16x06] February 27th, 2011

[16x06] February 27th, 2011

• Total voters
One more thing: HAHAHA, even the Jaguar-fanboys hosting Top Gear admit that the new XJ looks weird!

That was the best episode of the series by a long way. Good old Top Gear.

PS: next time they decide to get a politician in the SIRPC they should install some seat belts for the studio seat. With an option to get accidentally jammed.

Last edited:
Finally! A really good show this season. Loved the F40 vs 959, although they show why I would never buy an old car regardless of how cool they are. Cool wall was cool but I was hoping they will add the Camaro ZL1 or something more interesting. Interview was cool is you follow the show and know how much Jeremy hated former minister of transportation, Lord something; he was very brave to go there. And Moon rover, well it is annoying how presidents stop programs after they had spent so much money developing stuff. They say is so there is money to go to Mars, but they will never have money for Mars, and at this pace the Chinese will be the ones to go to Mars and NASA would probably be sold to them. But back to topGear, lots of fun, a big 9 from me.

Having been quite pleased with TG this series, I have to say this last one fell pretty flat for me. It all didn?t really do anything. Porsche vs Ferrari was the best bit ... but I got excited for nothing when they talked about sending them round the track. News - not bad. Cool wall - meh. Jag vs God started promising and had awsome visual style ... but Clarksons praise for the Jag was reaching a level of denial at some points that I found really hard to swallow. James in the Moon-rover mk2 - I?m a fan of James Mays segments usally, but apart from the nostalgia towards the old buggy thats still on the moon - the film did nothing for me. Sure, the new one is a remarkable piece of engineering ... but it?s just a soulless white box to me.
The Episode wasn?t bad overall, but IMO it was far behind on the rest of the series.

Also ... He-He ... how many times have you been in the Studio now? 10 or more? :D

Prob one of my fav of the season. F40/959 & SIARPC where great.
News, Jag race & NASA bit where alright.

Pretty dissapointed in the cool wall return, it just flooped.

Still, good episode. But a very meh season overall.

All your negativ arguments are invalid: There was a F40 competing againt a 959. You can't get any more legen ..... wait for it ... dary than that! :)

That alone made it a 10/10 for me

Hammond's piece on the 959 vs F40 was dreadful. "you can just feel, I mean I've driven, I've owned 911's from this period and this thing just feels so much more." Way to express your thoughts with words there, chief. He also clearly needed more time in both of them before filming began. He didn't need to confess that he was flummoxed by the gear changes in the F40 because it was clear. He's a motoring journalist that can't drive or write english good.

The rest of the episode was just the usual bollocks.

2/10. I really don't see what all the fuss was about.

Last edited:
I name this the Marmite episode :)

I really enjoyed it, I think the "old TG" comments are maybe along the right lines. But some people really hated it, or so it seems... I guess they can't please everyone.

Can't help wondering how many cars will be departing Land's End at sundown in June this year...

8/10. Dragged down by the Cool Wall and some bits of the Jag film. As for the Prescott interview... I like a good argument that nearly borders on fisticuffs. They were both acting a bit like broken records at some points though.

Also... Back in June? JUNE????? That's too short of a break and it will only make them come up with ever-more-rubbish ideas for S17. :| Start S17 in September, have a good think about it, look back at properly great episodes and make it in their mould.

Last edited:
man some of you people are too harsh.

This episode had some good moments. It reminded me of the good old Top Gear days. And I like that feeling.

The 959 vs F40 was awesome.
The interview was quite nice.
May's piece was really in depth and I enjoyed it a lot.

The only weak points in this episode was the challenge which was too short, too edited and too boring in some parts. It felt like they added that piece in at the last minute. Oh and also, the Cool Way segment wasn't all that great either. I was expecting something more after it being on hiatus for 2+ years.

But all in all, it comes down to this: would I watch this episode again like I do with the old Top Gear shows? Yep. So, for that, I give it 10/10.

Can't wait for the next season! June seems like ages but I think months will fly by when I get my hands on a 3DS.

Last edited:
Strange thing about blurring...
I think either it was someone else driving or some reshoots were made when Hammond already had different haircut.

SFgnL.png

mJVpM.png

This one is rather funny. Clarkson was wearing this Omega Seamaster for long time already, now BBC decided they will not endorse it anymore. :)
YVanv.png

This episode definitely felt more like 'old TG' - three seperate pieces from the three boys & the cool wall. It felt as if I could have been watching an episode from about 4 years ago. That's not a complaint, by the way. I really enjoyed it.

Richard's Piece: I really felt the excitment here. I feel Richard hasn't had a lot of pieces this series, it's been very Jeremy-centric.
Jeremy's race: Awesome stuff. Loved the audio book. What a brilliant Jag.
James' Piece: Brilliant and obvious choice for James to do this. I think someone commented this was dug up from James' On The Moon program, and it wasn't. It was filmed not long ago, I believe someone on this forum met him there and James signed a piece of the fan's car. I am sure James LOVED being in the Rover.

Sad that it's the last episode, but did Jeremy say June it's coming back? That is just around the corner! They work so hard, I hope they are having some time off.

First time in a long time SIARPC has been entertaining. Would've been nice if it went a little longer actually, maybe at the expense of that useless Jag v God piece. Probably the worst race they've ever done.

The rest was just bland. We've seen the F40 before when Clarkson did that 80s supercars vs contemporary supercars in what was a much better segment. It was better filmed, better directed, and better presented. Hammond as a presenter is, well, terrible tbh.

Last edited:
Funny, in the other thread there are many opinions that TG should be more car show, they need to make it like couple years ago, and so on. When they did many people are disappointed. Probably you can't make everybody happy.

959 vs F40 was really good. I love F40 so I can watch it again and again.
Jag part was just a road test (you see, Jeremy wasn't on a track). Challenge itself was just an add-on, but I don't think we need it. As for Jag's styling. I like it, the only problem is that the interior doesn't fit the body. Both are nice, but are made in a different styles.
James hitting everything in that moon rover was stupid. Apart from that it was interesting, as usual for May.

All in all solid episode. 8 + 1 for being "old style". That's what we need mix of episodes like this and like ep 3.

Not the best episode ever, but certainly my favourite from this series. Liked all the segments, particularly the XJ race and James May's "Big 20th Century Toy Adventure" piece (he should've taken Oz Clarke with him though :)). Cool wall may have seemed a bit tame to some, but Clarkson's sherry sex had me in stitches. The Prescott "interview" was a bit of a train wreck :lol:

Damn, no more TopGear until winter.

I hate that.