[16x07] July 20th, 2009

[16x07] July 20th, 2009

• Total voters
Yey...now that explains why I have seen that red TT-RS at Cologne-Bonn Airport (exiting) some months ago...
Too bad that I did know who was driving it...(figure it out that they were some journalists...)
Why? Easy...my ride is more than a match for any TT-RS (even driven by someone like Jason...)...a black C63 AMG

Would have loved to "smoke" Jason on the autobahn:))

Hahhaha...nice video editing...Bonn - Luxemburg in less than 1 sec:))

Last edited:
Good episode...

The race across 5 countries was too fast. I believe it could be extended a bit more. Well, it isn't Top Gear....

I wish that they would stop hyping up their crashes before they've shown them. They did the same thing with those wheelie cars and all they manage to do is remove any aspect of suspense that could have been created.

Other than that it was an alright episode, a bit rushed in places and Tim's driving me insane, but it was good enough to watch.

The bus race was rubbish, they should've shortened it to just one part and extended the TT RS review. Jason mentioned only manual gearbox was offered, I wonder why they didn't offter the DSG with it. This week's celeb segment was one of the better ones, they guy is actually interested in cars and can drive reasonably well. I wonder how much the crash costed Fifth Gear. Overall, 8/10.

I really wish they would leave the accidents to a surprise....

Well, this particular accident made the papers (and was probably destined to since a hospital trip for a well known star was involved) although granted it didn't appear for several days after 5th gear themselves brought it up.

Still like to watch anything rally related, so that was kind of cool... proves how hard it really is.

Pretty eh episode tbh, felt rushed. Lol @ the Top Gear book.

I quite liked this episode, more so than the others.

The bus challenge thing seemed a bit pointless, but i guess they need to keep the 'dogfight' segment going for a bit. Did seem to drag on a bit though and didn't seem to go anywhere. When they said the last part (drifting) was coming up I expected it to be near the end so there'd be a Top Gear stylee accident. But no.

The fuel saving sat nav was interesting. Although I was suprised at the result. Thought being stuck in traffic all the time would hammer the fuel consumption, and motorway driving would be better. And I don't know what it is about Tim, but I have to disagree with a lot of people, as he doesn't get on my nerves that much at all....

Toms Exeo review was good, although didn't see the point of the charity shop hunting... but the scene with the TG book quite made me laugh!

Jason's TT review felt a bit rushed. Didn't seem to have the 'edge-of-your-seated-ness' that TGs races have. Still, a decent review non the less.

Tiffs crash seemed a bit overhyped. Because you knew it was coming it didn't seem as severe. Still, decent section overall.

Good solid 7 for me.

Well thats my first ever episode review on here done and dusted! Please be gentle!

Perhaps not quite as good as last week's (which may have been helped by a somewhat lacklustre TG the night before), but I enjoyed this one anyway. OK, so the bus dogfight was daft, but watching Jason cling on for dear life as Tiff drove like a nutter made it all worthwhile. The TG book made me laugh. Jonny modelling that Ann Summers-esque blindfold lookd like he was trying to live up to his Twitter name (@carpervert) and although it could have done with being perhaps a bit longer, the TT review was good stuff too.

And despite the hype, John Barrowman's bit was an eye-opener; I never had him down as a car chap for some reason, but he was quite impressive until he binned it.

The only thing that brought it down for me was Tim. His eco-nav thing was quite interesting, but what the hell was he on during the studio bits? He was hugely irritating, and usually, although he's not my favourite presenter, he doesn't wind me up like that.

With one episode to go, this is turning out to be a good, solid series.

I enjoyed watching it, bus-thing wasn't that bad really, it was different from what TG did, they should've dropped the drag race though wich seemed very pointless.

TT-RS bit was nice, to bad it rained otherwise I would've loved seeing Jason trying to max it in Germany like with the Brabus Rocket :)

Seat Exeo Review, liked Tom's approach, to the point, informative,... lolled @ TG book :p

Didn't expect the result from the test with the nav in the R36.. But if I could afford a car like that I would still take the (more expensive) highway route instead of sitting in traffic jams for hours.

Good series for me for FifthGear standards :)

It was a pretty good ep all round.

I wish they'd give Johnny more screen time. He's still their greatest asset. That said, "Can't afford a TTRS? Get a Calibra" is a bit of an insult, hahah.

Didn't Top Gear do the bus thing some time back? That said, watching a bus drift was pretty hilarious. I'm surprised they didn't roll it when Tiff went for a Scandinavian flick.

Celeb was pretty good, especially by their standards, though they overhyped the crash which took a lot away from it. It's the OMG moments that help make TG special and exciting to watch.

Tim's little eco-GPS thing was interesting given how mundane the subject matter was.

Tom's review was certainly an interesting take and I think they managed not to let the whole buying and selling grotty clothes distract from the car.

Probably the worst part of the show was Jason's pseudo race challenge - no sense of excitement, a running clock, or anything. He would have been better going to the nearest mountain pass, or a track.

Get's a 7 from me. Back to you Jim.

decent enough episode. 7/10

Bus thing, kind of ok, but living in the shadow of top gear bus race which I watched not too long ago. I agree with most that this could have been shorter to allow a longer TTRS segment.

TTRS seg was good but short, more 5cyl sounds please!

Speaking of TT's, upto this ep, I always thought TT's with dual exhausts and quattro were reserved for the 3.2 V6, so I was pretty confused when he said a 225hp turbocharged engine.. straight to google for specs! No wonder I see so many!

Tom's eco GPS doesnt make any sense at all, being stuck in traffic, unless you have some start-stop tech, and even then, will give a worse-than-motorway mpg.

On a side note, I dont find tim too bad, but I think they need to swap him with jonny, who i find to be the best tv presenter on there.

Strange that they leave stuff like driving the Lexus LF-A just for the website show... must be something to do with VBH and her not being on the TV version?

TTRS seg was good but short, more 5cyl sounds please!

PM me if you want a recording of my 23 year old Mercedes 5 cyl diesel - it sounds like tractor swathed in styrofoam, and is sure to set anyone's hear a-flutter in an off-beat kinda way!

;-)

Without a doubt one of the better Fifth Gears. My gf actually watched the whole thing this time.

Still needs lots of improvements though.

The biggest one being that they need to STOP advertising a crash and make it a surprise. I understand that you do it so people will stay on the channel until the end to see it but a better strategy is to make it a surprise so people will come back and watch next weeks episode to see if something exciting and surprising happens again.

Also would have liked to see more talk about the TT other than how you're driving it across 5 countries. Stuff like how the interior feels and what it's like at the limit and... stuff that's more exciting than "will he make the plane" And if you're going to do a race across the motorways, have it be Tiff in one car, Jason in the other thing, see who gets there first... It may even be better than a Top Gear race because I don't think anyone is more competitive than Tiff.

Edit: The Top Gear magazine part was brilliant. :)

Last edited:
My review, extra harsh because I'm trying to help

My review, extra harsh because I'm trying to help

Are they joking. Do people drink that much in the UK to tolerate this garbage.
How many times do i have to see Tiff (who at one time was cool) and Jason,(cool normally) do some dumb race. Buses... WTHell. It started out bad, got worse throughout the season, next episode if they keep up they'll be racing their own deficant and pretending its cool.

Speaking of deficant, the boobs that host. Tim should just end it. It would be more entertaining if he was a cutter. Tom Ford is a lame fatso, I think fatso as a term would make a comeback if it was just related to having to sit through a season 16 episode. Now sometimes he shows potential when he ditches hosting duties, but honestly is 2009 the year of lame.

Johnny. What happened. When you weren't constrained to your little 3 retarded tests, like this season, you were becoming a favorite and a reason to watch, but lately... Dude. I loved the old quirky, bio diesel Johnny. It is clear Tim and Tom are writing his scripts.

VBH. Crap. Where did you go . Have you abandoned a sinking ship, or can you be the captain titanic never had. England needs you, TV needs you, People in the US need you..... STOP, CARS... and maybe even Frodo and Ben Wise Ganjee deserve your intervention. Give her full production duties, let her fire the tards... and save Fifth Gear.

In short, Fifth Gear WAS a slightly less cool version of top Gear... lately, just a reason to delay starting your Top Gear episode... cause sometime when top Gear starts, you wish it would never end, and fifth gear just holds back the pain of hitting start, cause start means you will soon have a stop.... Fifth Gear is akin to a zit... a nasty sore to be popped, so that the normal bronzed muscular skin that shall be known as Top Gear can show itself again next week. Hope this makes its way to Five / BBC, cause we really want another quality show to hold us over between Top Gear episodes.