[17x01] June 26th, 2011

[17x01] June 26th, 2011

• Total voters

Quiky

Super relevant and trendy avatar
STAFF MEMBER
Top Gear is back for another season!

No discussion of torrents, streams, downloads in this thread.

Last edited:
Loving the Tron soundtrack throughout this episode!

Marauder: Excellent!

News: Pretty good, typical car humor, enjoyed the bit about the MG and the Chevette.

M1 Coupe: I was wondering where this was going. "What, another Golf film?" But very nice, very good typical track review (wish they'd take it to the roads, though). Another car for the "Dual Exhaust" thread to talk about - on an I6! Many poo chutes! This car seems like a throw back to the old M3s that were brilliant. Great race against the Cockster and the Lotus! And WOW, it beat the M3!

SIARPC: Cooper was great. Why do they all drive auto though? It's not that hard to shift with the left. :/

MINI: I love James, and he can make everything interesting (which is good because this was the dullest part of the ep).

E-type: Of course this was a fantastic film, how could it not be? What a perfect sound from that straight-6. Jeremy being as dramatic and patriotic as always.

What was that website they were talking about during the news? Where you can look up the car infos? I missed a part of that.

Last edited:
The cocking about in the red tank was surprisingly good. :shock:
As was the beemer video.

Actually, even the news was good. The website was http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk .

The E-type vid was great. I don't particularly like how the thing sounds but it's always nice to see Jezza rave on about classic cars. The "British" thing was of course really corny but I don't really expect to understand it.

Seems like the show is going back to basics. At least so it seems now that they had to spit out a season in a hurry. I wish the shows were budget-limited and rushed on a more regular basis. It seems to improve the show.

Last edited:
Jeremy not wearing his wedding ring I see.

The H3 is not a Hummer.
Straight into Top Gear comedy... <_<
Wow they blew it up. :cool:
Oh I do like a 1 Series M
Wow Alice Cooper... It's pronounced Milwaukee.
He's not the Prince Of Darkness, Jezza.
Not one mention of that Hopkirk Mini. ;)
Ugh Countryman.
May in a rally car. :lol:
Yay, still using Kick Ass music.
The Etype vs DB5 was an Eagle one?
?500,000 is ridiculous.
Fucking great ending.... apart from the Top Gear comedy.

Last edited:
I nominate Jeremy for the Subtlety Prize 2011.

Also, well done on the series starter :clap:

Lovely ep, a very nice start to a season =) 10/10.

Narf and Aston Martin's posts pretty much sum up my opinion, bloody great start to the new series. :D

Probably not a 10, but I gave it one anyways on account of that ending being the most bombastic thing I've ever seen. :lol:

Best episode ever IMHO, if we exclude a few specials and challenges.. I simply can't tell which part I liked best! Got goose bumps while e type part and I'm not British.. Could this be the beginning of new old top gear? 10/10

Last edited:
Best episode of Top Gear in a few years.

I love the Jaguar E-Type.

about the wedding ring, i was watching an episode from s13 the other day n i checked n he wasnt wearing one then either so.. he just doesnt like wearing it i guess?

about the wedding ring, i was watching an episode from s13 the other day n i checked n he wasnt wearing one then either so.. he just doesnt like wearing it i guess?

Fair enough, but given all the rumours I thought it was interesting.

Pretty good. I think last series rather went stale towards the end. I got that feeling from the snowbine onwards, so this was certainly the best TG episode I've seen for some time.

Hammond's film was funny, if characteristically TG staged, the news actually featured cars (!), the May rally film was good, but I felt the ending lacked a bit of excitement like the old bobsleigh/rally film did, and I wished James would have been allowed to talk to Kris because he's a generally interesting guy.

The E-Type film was good, better than I expected when I first read about it. Despite being British, I'm not overly patriotic, so found what they did at the end a bit over the top, but it made me laugh, so it was alright.

Overall, 8/10 I'd say. Looking forward to next week's episode where they drive around the Monaco Grand Prix circuit.

Personally thought that it was a fantastic episode...the E-Type and the Speedster were just beautiful. Take away the price; just look at them! That said, as Jupix said, the British thing was corny; I'd rather look at it as a stunning car than some statement of the country. Doubt that Germany look at the 911 and rave on about it.

I think that if the series continues like it has just started, it might be geared towards petrolheads a bit more than just comedy; depends really on what kind of segments we see in the coming episodes. I like it like that, others will probably disagree xD

9/10

On an off note, the rear axle is from the current M3, not the old one...I notice there are quite a few mistakes on TG when it comes to these all important things :p

Last edited:
Marauder - Meh
News - Never expect any actual 'news' any more
1M - Good apart from the stupid graphics in the beginning and end
Guest - Booring
Rally challenge - Kinda fun. Driving like a madman in a rally car through a Norwegian 40 zone ftw! The car sounded awesome.
Jag - I like. For some reason it reminded me a -little bit- of the train/bike/car race they did a while ago.

Jeremy not wearing his wedding ring I see.

A lot of men Jeremy's age and older don't wear them - I can't remember off the top of my head ever seeing him wearing one. My dad doesn't even have one and he and my mum have been married since 1967. It's only really my generation where it's become the norm (I'm three years younger than Hammond, who does wear a wedding ring), and a lot of guys still don't.

Anyway, moving on...

TOP GEAR'S BACK!!!

That was one of the most solid episodes in a very long time, and one of the most enjoyable (in my opinion of course - YMMV). Not a bad film among them, excellent SIARPC, actual news in the News, a few good laughs, a lump or two in the throat.

I know in the past I've written rather more in depth reviews than this, but I really don't need to. The way I felt about this episode is very much like Jeremy's reaction to the BMW. I don't need to say anything more than 'it was great'. My show's back, and I'm happy :D

Hope you guys aren't getting my hopes up for nothing :p