[17x01] June 26th, 2011

[17x01] June 26th, 2011

• Total voters
Pretty solid episode, no huge letdown at all (although personally I don't like the 1-series, even the 1M, or the new Mini, the films were alright). :) No blatantly scripted "accidents" (but no challenge, too, so it might change throughout the series). E-Type Series 1 is sex on wheels, could have been with more engine noise and less music, though.

As mentioned, destroying an Alfa 156 is a point off, they could have used really worthless cars like Renaults or Citroens, but not an Alfa, and the second point off is for the over-the-topness of the E-Type-tribute.

What a promising start to this new season of Top Gear. It did not feel as refined or special as previous episodes, but solid throughout. Only slightly negative point: I didn't like how the "over-designed" the track test. All that fake Hollywood Tron style in the 1M-Series review was too much in my opinion.

This is a outstanding episode.
Good cars, and really good humor.
No lies: It made me laugh at least once during every segment.
Not one boring moment.

It was really very great.

It's awesome to have the best car show back!

Hammond's film was a bit boring to be honest.

May's film was great though! It was awesome to see him having fun with the Mini's gearbox haha.

Amy Williams was great...and hot.

Once Jeremy mentioned the Golf GTi, I thought it would be another review. I think they did a bunch of reviews on Golf but I'm glad it was the M1. Really, now I want one. It was good review.

The E-type Jaguar review was just perfect. It's one of my favorite cars and the film just made an epic start to the series.

10/10.

the flag at the end (handing over the cliff) is upside down... smooth move guys

I just went back and read the entire thread and I'm a bit surprised with the people saying the E-type tribute got too over the top. Maybe it's just me being a Yank, but I really liked that. I like watching Jezza get all patriotic and over the top. I loved seeing the spitfires roaring through the sky and all the nonsense. I loved it. :lol:

Yes! This had everything a perfect TG ep should have, with each of the three hosts doing what they do best. Richard brought some silliness to the show, but it was never overdone and the scripting never tried to make us believe it wasn't scripted. Clarkson did one of his best track reviews in years with the BMW. Then there was James with a bit of history of the Mini, and a great guest in the KIA. I thought the show was over after James' segment, but out of nowhere we were treated with that E-Type segment, which by the end of it turned every other TV show currently on air to shame. TG used to deliver this consistently, and I'm glad to see they can still do it. 10/10

8/10

Loved it, that was fun. Even the jaaaaaag film was kinda touching. I know this isnt the music thread but was those the songs from Kick Ass and Little Big Planet too?

I love that shot of Hamster in the red truck and i couldnt be happier to see a hummer get blown the fuck up!

Oh, and to all you people out there who say TG doesnt teach us anything about cars, tell me you didnt learn something from that jaaaaag film. Also, was i the only one that went "wow" when he said that was the car that was delivered that night? i thought it was very cool!

I thought it was pretty good all around. Definitely reminds me of the older seasons a bit.

I thought Alice Cooper made a great guest, but his lap was pretty shameful. Nice Wayne's World reference by Jezza.

Great episode, most of what I like about TG.

Hope they use Kris Meeke and Amy Williams again.

i dont know didnt play/see either of those, but most of the songs were either justice or daft punk ... which is appropriate considering the target audience of the show (and awesome)

This'll be the highlight of my plane trip tomorrow morning. :D

I've not been a huge fan of the cinematography of the "HD Series". I look at Series 10, for example, and wonder how amazing it would be if it had been shot in HD.

But this one had much of the old magic.

And moving the Marauder review to the series opening was not a bad idea, IMO, since it always helps to start a new series with some lunacy.

Terrific start to the series, with Clarksons E-Type film as a real highlight. I do wonder if they'll get through the entire Tron Legacy soundtrack by episode three though.

9/10

Marauder: Sucked. I can see why it got pushed back.

1 M: I loathe all BMWs. I crack up every time Jezza refers to any of them as "BMs", since BM was my mother's euphemism for "bowel movement", and that sums up those boring, overpriced, over-engineered Bavarian pieces of crap perfectly. And the film was an insult to Tron.

The rest of the show: surprisingly great. I just wished that Jezza had boosted Eagle a bit more. They are the experts at the E-Type, after all, so them doing their own version is big, despite the price.

Reactions: TC