[17x01] June 26th, 2011

[17x01] June 26th, 2011

• Total voters
I thought this ep was awesome and it would have got a perfect 10 from me except for the ridiculous CG durning the 1M video. Loved James video with the comeback of the car.

Jaguar can fire their ad agency. They will never get better publicity than that!

No, they need to keep their ad agency because now they have to somehow convince potential customers to buy product that deliberately looks generic and nothing like the E-Type, that doesn't sound anywhere near as good, that isn't as fun and costs a f**kton more.

Last edited:
I gave it a 7 at first, but after watching it again, I'd like to change it to a 9. I don't know why it took me 2 tries to realize just how great an episode it was, but I did. :)

Great episode, hope the rest of the series lives up to it. The 1M review was good, and I quite liked the funky graphics. I've not yet seen a bad review of that car! I guess cuz I have a 120 (canal-boat-engine-variant) with the M-Sport bits on it I'm biased...
News was good- Chevette... ah yes :)
Marauder was okay, but I wasn't mad about it, entertaining film tho, and the wife wants one.
Mini - love the slo-mo shots and it looks like a bit of a hoot to drive...
SIARPC - he was okay- I'm not a fan of rock music tbh, especially from that era, but he seemed like a decent, interesting bloke.
E-Type - like everyone else, I loved the noise :) The tribute at the end was funny as hell, but did make a good point... Britain had it's time back in the 50s and 60s when we were world leaders, now we just import most stuff and the only thing people want to be when they grow up is a "celebrity".

Marauder - :lmao: Fucking awesome. 9/10
News - Pretty hilarious. 7.5/10
M1 - Good review there, love the tron influences and quite a surprise at JC's reaction to it overall. 8/10
SIARPC - Sorry to say but I hadn't heard of him before, but it was a good interview. The blonde girls behind him were cute. - 9/10 (for blonde girls).
Mini Rally - Amy Williams :wub: 1337/10
E-Type - Absolutely gorgeous car, great review and I knew he would totally hype it up in the end :p - 9/10

Shoulda given it a 9/10 but I'm going to subtract a 1 point bias because I don't want to overhype this episode. So I voted 8/10 but in my heart its a 9.

Amy Williams <3 <3 <3 :wub: :wub: :wub:

She has such a nice arse... and you get a peek at it right at the end of jimmy's film. lovely.

I guess you got that from the TG website. I think you'll find it was a joke. They knew damn well they were back on in June - like every year.

After seeing all of Andy Wilman, Jezza and JM say with straight faces that they were forced by the Beeb to come on a month early, I'm not convinced it's a joke. Also, what a useless joke to make. It's not like Top Gear to make excuses for being rubbish. (Which they weren't.)

Marauder - 10/10 - very funny set piece with Hammond. Great stuff.
BMW M1 - 9/10 - I like the Tron music, I like the Tron graphics, I really like seeing it beating down a Cockster and an Evora with its four poop-chutes. Good track test, but I do wish they'd get off the track more often for these.
SIARPC - 8/10 - Alice Cooper is definitely a genuinely interesting person, but he didn't really make the best guest for a car show. Coot cat though for sure and he's certainly not the worst interview they've ever done by a mile.
Mini - 10/10 - Amy Williams is a hottie! Nuff said. I do agree with a previous poster that the film didn't quite have that same bang as their first race there. I remember in the original race that shot of James where he looked absolutely scared s*&%less and this film was missing that "holy crap" aspect. Still very awesome to see that Mini Rallycar, and hear it. And did I mention that Amy Williams is friggin' HOT!!! Never underestimate the power of a ridiculously attractive woman.
E-Type - 10/10 - Clarkson doing what he does best. Great film. I especially liked the ending with the band and the troops and the flags...and of course the Spitfires.

Overall I gave it a 10. Very, very, very good start to this series!

Awesome, but no S17 montage? I am disappoint. :(

8/10

She has such a nice arse... and you get a peek at it right at the end of jimmy's film. lovely.
:jc: "...I said that out loud, didn't I?"

Last edited:
Mini - 10/10 - ... very awesome to see that Mini Rallycar, and hear it.
Agreed, although I still prefer "the old Mini" to the goliaths they are now, although it was especially good seeing James enjoying himself so much in the new one, you don't get to see that side of him very often. More, please, James!

E-Type - 10/10 - Clarkson doing what he does best. Great film. I especially liked the ending with the band and the troops and the flags...and of course the Spitfires.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that Jezza can write, and I suspect he wrote that speech he gave at the end.

It's had to describe the joy that comes from a good TG ep.

This was such an amazing episode... In such a long time. Great content that leaves you speachless, great jokes that didn't feel scripted, sexy Amy and even the guest was good.

10/10. And I never post these reviews.

On a side note I'd be very surprised if this isn't one of the highest scoring episodes ever by forum vote. If not the highest (excluding specials).

Was the mini used at the start of the mini film the 'resteration rip-off' winner? Could of finally made it to air?

I was wondering the same exact thing!

+1 for RR Merlins & Amy Williams

- 1 for Marauder

Last edited:
A new TG-season, time for me to come out of hiding! ;)

I didn't read through the entire thread, so please forgive me if I repeat points already made in other posts.

If show 1 was an indication for the quality of the entire series, I'm a very happy camper. This was one of the best TG-shows I've seen - and not just of recent TG but of all 17 seasons.

They did what I like and kept the individual pieces short, so you got the feeling there's a lot of stuff packed into the programme. Plus there wasn't a weak segment in there, even the news were good.

Marauder: Funny film, very interesting "car", cool random destruction. Can't go wrong with some random destruction.. :)

News: Short, car-related, genuinely funny ("it's going to be a big hit"). Plus: No penis-jokes and/or other artificial running gags.

BMW 1M (it's *not* an M1 guys!): Thought it was weird to put five generations of Golf GTIs into the studio to introduce a BMW. :blink: For a second I was hoping for a review of my car (they even had the MKVI in my color in the studio, LOL). Film itself was great, even though I'm not too sure about those busy, flashy effects. But at least they didn't overdo them. It's also kinda weird how Clarkson now seems to think the 1-series is a family-car, when he rightly criticized it way back when for its lack of interior- and luggage-space. Still: Of all the current M-cars this is the one I'd buy as well... IMO, this is the spiritual successor of the original M3.

SIARPC: Fast forwarded through that since I'm somewhat pressed for time. Alice seemed like a very likable guy though.

Mini: Even though it was a re-used idea and I don't care much for the car the WRC-Mini is based on, I loved the film. Great camerawork, great driving. Plus, as a red-blooded heterosexual male, I don't think I have to comment on Amy Williams. Am thinking about putting up an "Amy: Marry me!"-sign in my front lawn.

E-Type: Again: A great film for a truly great car. Possibly the most beautiful car ever designed/built. And this time, Clarkson's Union-Jack-waving didn't feel stapled on but well deserved. I actually got goose-bumps when the Spit and the Hurri flew over the Cliffs of Dover... and I'm German (!) ;).

Overall: 9/10. If they'd have put the Mini WRC and/or the Eagle round the test-track, it would've been a perfect 10 for me.

Oh and yes: Lots of good candidates for the "most distracting audience-member"-thread. Even though most of them fall into the "scary/weird"-category. :D

Quote Originally Posted by GT VIRUS
Was the mini used at the start of the mini film the 'resteration rip-off' winner? Could of finally made it to air?

I was wondering the same exact thing!

Same here. I'm fairly sure it was and I was waiting for James to mention Restoration Rip-Off while he was driving it.

S.

Last edited:
It was a great episode, I must admit. I just wish there was more E-type.

Probably one of the best non-special episodes in a while now. 9/10.

Yay for new Top Gear :D

I always look forward to the montage at the beginning of the season; it gives a higher sense of excitement and glimpses of little goodies to look forward to. Shame they didn't do one this season.

Marauder: Far out - what a machine. Absolutely massive. I don't know why they had to bump it from the last season as it was an interesting piece. Another reminder that Richard should keep his hair short ;)

BMW: Until I heard the limited release numbers, I had placed this car on my 'possible cars to buy next' list. Very impressive.

News: Noteworthy bit was Jeremy's 'pregnancy' and the Stig ultrasound. I love how some parts of the TG fandom somehow make its way into the show, whether they mean it or not ;)

Mini: Fantastic segment! The race was thrilling and Amy is very pretty. James did well, and as someone said earlier, it was missing the 'scariness' of the previous Hammond/May race. Nevertheless, my favourite piece of this episode. I had to laugh at Jezza flirting with Amy :) Typical Jeremy :)

E-Type: half a million pounds! Oh my gosh... Gorgeous though. And Jeremy's tribute is SO Jeremy - it wouldn't be the same without something understated and classic like that ;)

Great episode 8/10.