[17x01] June 3rd, 2010

[17x01] June 3rd, 2010

• Total voters
Very fast paced... Almost too fast paced actually. I would have loved to see more about the Ferrari. Looks like there is a "for drivers, by drivers" feel to it and no Top Gear-like antics. Not bad but not sure where Johnny fits in. 7/10

I totally forgot about Johnny's bit on the show. Completely pointless. I want more tests and comparisons like the Ferrari and the Ford/VW/Renault and less crap about cheap cars doing donuts and crashing against carbage.

Well that was an utterly forgettable episode.

I didn?t really enjoy the episode. "rushed" is the word that comes to mind ... 20 minutes showtime ... (22 something not counting ad-breaks, but with prob 2,5 min self promotion) 4 segments, 8 cars ... too little time for all that and the fairly good "hottest hatch" fell much too short. The McLaren promotion bit ... don?t know what deal they?ve made (I?m guessing McLaren wouldn?t let them test the car some months down the line if they hadn?t done that), but that was pretty painful to watch. Informationvalue = zero. Johnnys bit had similar information contend, just stating obvious facts everyone can look up ... but I?m sure that was only due to it being cut down dramatically, I would like to think that segment actually could have worked with 2 or 3 minutes more ...
Jason vs the Italia was very good (and the only segment that didn?t feel like they?ve cut it down by 5 minutes) ... but sadly the McLaren bit equals it out for me ...

Summing up, I think the shorter format can work ... but it?s also obvious they haven?t yet found out how to make it work ... or still use stuff they produced for the old format, but cut it down heavily. I gave this a 5/10. But I?m optimistic they?ll get the hang of it ... it?s good to see Vicky back, and Tim not ;)

Last edited:
My first experience with Fifth Gear was when SPEED Channel showed it in the mid-2000s. I next tried "the real thing" with 15x01, which I found forgettable and never bothered to try 15x02 or beyond.

So 17x01 is my third try at the apple and this time, it more or less worked. I agree the Mini vs. Lexus part was pointless, but it was nice to see the 458 and the Hot Hatch comparison worked.

I believe the shorter format might prove to be good for FG, keeping them tight and focused. For the moment, I intend to keep going.

30-min is a fitting format. I hope it stays this way. Glad to see the awkward office/cafe locales gone. Don't miss Tom at all to be honest. Jonny remains the best presenter.

SUCH a nice way to start. Had to give it a 9 for a Fifth Gear episode, it ranks way higher than most of them. I like Jason as the "host", he's a lot more polished than I would have expected. Johnny's segment was okay a bit rushed IMO. They could have done w/o the McLaren segment and let the other three segments breath a little more so the show didn't feel so hurried. But damn, I'm SOOO glad that Lovesboys is gone. He was a Cruise Ship anchor on a Jet Ski that was Fifth Gear.

Hmmm.

Over a bit too quick... felt very rushed, even with only a few segments 22 mins slips down the gun pretty darn fast.

Other than Vicki's schoolgirl squealing and Jason's hyperactive-puppy-on-drugs routine, it wasn't as cringeworthy as your typical recent FG episode... but it was just a bit unremarkable and forgettable too. Jonny's segment was his typical quality but it was over too quickly. The McLaren looks awesome but again, over too quickly, and just felt like it was copied and pasted in... no real substance to it.

6/10. Bring back Tom, jettison Vicki, and take it back to 42 mins an ep.

When's Top Gear starting again.... ;-)

Short, concise and to the point, and finally doing what TG stopped doing long ago, serious, focused reviews on cars by drivers. I miss Tom tho, his funny segments and 'regular guy' road car views and comic teamups w Jonny were great.

Now im writing this now to review the first episode, but just to point out ive never watched fifth gear before... so here goes!

Like many others, i thought it was rushed. It didnt help with the adverts, and the two long plugs about the competition.

The show was ok i suppose, dont know if it is because it was too rushed, or just taking a while to adjust to it not being top gear. I give it a 7 because it featured the new ferrari :)

I would've put Tiff in as the main host, but I guess he is getting a bit old and probably has more things to do than work full-time on a show.

The new format now lets FG be a good complement for TG, instead of trying to copy their format and be worse at it, making it a good 1.5 hrs of solid car television a week.

Now, FG will draw fewer stupid comparisons as the shows have diverged in completely opposite style and direction.

it was definately rushed, but its a good step towards standing out against topgear and there shenanigans...
i like Jason as a presenter and at least him and Tiff (and VBH) have some serious skills between them, as opposed to Clarkson and his merry long haired men!
More detail would be good, but i suppose there is a fine line between boring half the viewers or interesting them.
I doubt McLaren would have been willing to give away too much info at this stage unfortunately, but Im sure Ferrari would have been more forthcoming with the Italia if probed!
All Up a good epsiode really.

Wow. Wow. I don't know how Fifth Gear does it. Take manage to take what is probably the most exciting new car for quite a while - the 458 - and make it look miserably boring!!!

While it's still no Top Gear I definitely think the last two shows have been the best Fifth Gear in a long time. I also agree with others here, that they should drop the contest or just promote it on their website, it takes up valuable time that they really don't have anymore.