[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
Beautiful cinematography during the Monaco segment.

9/10

The Monaco circuit driving experience tg provided was extremely satisfying for me.. its like a dream come true. I loved it soo much.

Aston: Hate the car, but liked how James reviewed it. Liked that I got to see Dunsfold, and the reactions of him and Clarkson made it worthwhile. It did seem kinda forced, but was tolerable in the sense that Clarkson's face made it funny and it was nice to see James being strongly outspoken for once. 7/10

News: Serious car stuff at the start (which everyone seems to be forgetting about here, pertinent to the critique of the Aston and the look at Citroens and Peugeots), then the Growler segment. I liked it, it was funny. 8/10

Hatches: Earlier challenges were stupid. Lucca was believable, as I'd experienced it while touring Europe a few years back. Scavenger hunt was pretty dumb (although the concluding scene yielded laughs with Francesca and the stuffed dog). Monaco was amazing, and I liked all the F1 cameos despite not following the season. 9/10

SIARPC: Was going to skip it, but then it got funny, so I kept watching. Says a lot about it when I usually jump this segment. 9/10

Overall: 8.25/10, so an 8 it is. Last week was better, but I'm looking forward to next week with the seasonal cheap-car challenge (always my favourite segment) and Vettel. I hope Vettel's lap sucks, I can't stand that bloke for some inexplicable reason.

I enjoyed this one immensely, mostly due to the fact they had a road trip challenge in cars you could easily go out and buy tomorrow for your main form of transport (the cheap car challenge's are fun, but they're not exactly ever the kind of cars you would buy as your daily driver). It was nice to see them not rock up in the predictable Golf, Focus etc etc.
It would be interesting to see which of the cars would have been quickest in the hands of one driver though. My money would probably be on the clio.

Even if the rest of it had been the 3 of them staring at a gray wall, the Monaco bit is enough for a 10/10. I mean c'mon - it all begins with the magical sound of engines at 20k rpm, parties on yatchs, the F1 track, the guys who coached them, and proper driving - how can you not get excited !!

Sounded alot more to me like 18k ;)

Best episode in a long time I feel. Better than any from the last series (barring the holy land trip)

James's rant was rather scripted, but still funny, excellent road trip, with an exciting 2nd half for once.

As much as I couldn't see him driving either of the other two, I just wish it hadn't been James driving the Clio Cup... I used one to go around the Nurburgring, fantastic little car.

fantastic episode
Amazed at how worked up James got about the Astons
not sure about the 'finding things' part- a bit too scripted

Overall it was good, loved James's points on the Aston (although, yes, the near-identical Astons are getting old), although the bit in the studio afterwards felt scripted. News had a few scripted moments, but I loved the line, "I'm going out to wax the Growler!" The hatch segment was good, but the "what can you get in it" bit dragged on for a bit and felt a bit scripted as well. The bit in Monaco was brilliant, though. You could tell Jeremy really loved being there.

8/10

Its a scripted show!!! :jawdrop::eek::wall:

+1 because thats a fucking all time epic video :D

Anyone hear the Shakespeare reference at the beginning of the episode? When May was introducing the 3 Astons?

He quoted the Scottish play!

http://img69.imageshack.**/img69/4131/topgear17x02.jpg

EDIT: Guy in black shirt directly in Jeremy's left background near his arm

Last edited:
interesting how the guys had helmets and Bernie and the others didn't

I'm assuming it was because they dropped off their instructors and then did their laps straight away.With the instructors they probably weren't going as fast as they did on their own.Could they find a helmet big enough to fit Flav's head ?

I liked the "Tim O Glock" line along with James "I like cats and dogs"
The dog going flying in Jeremys car cracked me up.

Quite liked this one. Its the first time I really enjoyed SIARPC since forever. The interview was very funny and the lap was flamboyant and tyre-squealing.

Roadtrip -- superb. Plus, I've wanted them to do some hatch comparison for ages. I was hoping for a track test along the lines of the Jazz/Peugeot 1007/Renault something test, but a read trip was pleasantly orchestrated and both pleasing and entertaining to watch.

Could they find a helmet big enough to fit Flav's head ?

they could have found an old caldron or a large church bell to squeeze onto his head using his own lard secretion as a lubricant.:lol:

Nice to see Jeremy acknowledge the effect the Victorian Bushfires had on people as it's easy to forget 173 people died and many more, Ross Noble included, were forced to abandon their homes and everything in it.

I really didn't care much for James' review. For sure the Virage is a pretty car, but it's no better than buying a Coxster. In fact the Coxster makes more sense... :confused: Find it hard to believe that James thinks there's a gap in the market between the DB9 and DBS, but who knows, maybe there is. :dunno:

Ross was a great guest but the best part had to be Monaco. You could feel the occasion just watching Jezza complete his flying lap. I'm just surprised none of them stuck it in the wall :p

8/10

Last edited:
i still dont understand how they were allowed to drive round the grand prix track!

I confess, I thought that was going to be another gag. They'd get there to find out that the track had been put back to road use, and they'd find out how useful or otherwise their cars were around a busy town.

I confess, I thought that was going to be another gag. They'd get there to find out that the track had been put back to road use, and they'd find out how useful or otherwise their cars were around a busy town.

There were a few shots of Jeremy driving around with Bernie in the trailer/advertisement for the season, so I pretty much saw what's happening when Richard announced they were told to drive to Monaco.

I am glad they didn't do it as a part of a cheap car challenge though. This would surely have ended with a few "accidental crashes".

Loved the first half hour but then it rather tailed off. The treasure hunt part of the hot hatch segment was a total waste of time. I'd much rather have heard more about the cars and the roads they were driving on. Wasted opportunity to my mind.

Nice to see Jeremy acknowledge the effect the Victorian Bushfires had on people as it's easy to forget 173 people died and many more, Ross Noble included, were forced to abandon their homes and everything in it.

Was it the St Andrews/Kinglake area where Ross Noble lived ?

The hot hatch segment was quite funny, although I would've preferred to have a more diverse choice of cars (why didn't they take a hot Golf instead of the Renault?).

Because the clio cup is the hot hatch.