[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
I NEED the on-car footage of their Monaco laps! I loved the small 2 second bits where we rode along the ground from the front of Jeremy's DS3 Racing. The sound and the views are just epic.
I loved the hot hatch challenge! The boys at their best.

Overall a pretty much solid episode - but not a great one.

Aston Martin:
Pointless car rightly criticized but for the wrong reasons IMO. May's complaints about the N?rburgring are, well, silly, because every major car company does testing on that track - even with cars that aren't meant to be sporty. My main complaint would be that Aston are putting out more models than a small company should and that all those models aren't terribly distinct. I mean: Just look at them ... they pretty much all look the same, use similar engines, similar drive-trains and all are, pretty much, GT cars. So, to me, the whole review was rather pointless. Pluspoint for having the Stig listen to "Die ?rzte" during the hot-lap. That's one band I would never have expected to appear on Top Gear... :D

News: Pretty funny and car-related. That's always a plus when you remember how silly and pointless the news have gotten in seasons past. Very valid criticism of the hideous "styling" of modern Peugeots.

SIARPC: Don't know the guy but he was good fun. Nice hotlap and a very spectacular line through Gambon on his practice-lap. Entertaining.

Hot hatches:
Finally! TG doing hot hatches again. Execution was a mixed bag for me though. For starters, I didn't quite agree with their choice of cars. The only one that was a given was James' Renault. The Citroen is silly, looks exactly like a child's running shoe (as Hammond pointed out) and is way too expensive. I'd much rather have the car it shares its engine with - the Mini Cooper S JCW. The Abarth was all wrong. Not a hatchback, a class smaller than the other two (in size, it's more like a competitor to the Renault Twingo RS), silly sunroof and down on power. Third car should've been something like the VW Polo GTI, Vauxhall Corsa VXR, the hot Seat Ibiza or (if it had to be an Italian car) the Punto Abarth SS.

First half had a beautiful setting and some interesting challenges. Having them getting out of the city actually was a very good idea - those narrow streets look like an absolute nightmare. Didn't care too much for the scavenger hunt. Felt a bit forced.

Again: Second part was nice to look at (can't go wrong with the French Riviera) and the driving challenge has got to be one of the best ones in TG history. Still: I would've liked to get a few more conclusions/statements about the three cars. They almost felt like extras with the presenters being overwhelmed by the fact that they were driving around the Monaco-GP-track. The only thing that was really mentioned is that the Renault lacks torque due to its naturally aspirated engine. But since I've actually driven a Clio RS, I know that this is not really a problem if you keep the revs up and make good use of that amazing Cup-chassis. I guess we are spoiled by all those turbo-charged hot-hatches .. :)

Overall: 7/10

The hot hatch segment was quite funny, although I would've preferred to have a more diverse choice of cars (why didn't they take a hot Golf instead of the Renault?).

Err.. the Renault is possibly the best driver's car in its segment. The Golf is a class above the Citroen and the Clio and two classes above the Abarth. Having said that: I would've preferred the Golf-class myself, simply because it's where the hot-hatch originated. Say: Golf GTI "Edition 35", Renault M?gane RS, Alfa Giulietta QV.

Very good, never knew James had so much beef with sports cars.

LOL.. yeah. Especially when you consider that he drove/drives a G-model 911. That new Aston probably feels like a big Citroen of old compared to an 1980s 911 ... :D

S.

Last edited:
9. Enjoyed whole episode, good to see the old boys back, not the arrogant fools with scripted genitalia jokes they were last three series. There wasn't any dull moment, and I enjoyed every bit of this episode. Even despite the fact I hate Bernie Ecclestone so much I have his photo on my dartboard.
However, I do not know the guest too much, and, as always, I skipped the part.

Last edited:
I don't care if the jokes about the Growler were childish and silly, I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Yeah :D

I know it's early days yet, but I think they've taken on board the criticisms of recent series. The cocking about has been reeled in, the cartoonishness has been toned down a bit and the cars are front and centre. I'm happy.

What show were you watching? They were filling the cars with people, trees, bicycles and dogs. The cars were not the centre. (It was kinda funny and not over the top imho but still...)

Many series ago, the show was more car centric, remember that BMW M3, Audi RS4, Merc C63 episode? They ended up with that good one word description of the spirit of those cars....

The hot hatchback segment lacked a conclusion too. I thought it ended abruptly.

I also don't care for flavio briatore or any other celebrity, I would have liked the guys talking about the car on the track.

Sascha77: "I would've preferred the Golf-class myself, simply because it's where the hot-hatch originated."

Look at the golf Mk6 - It's twice the size&weight and twice the price. The new Golf... is the Polo.

Sascha77: "I would've preferred the Golf-class myself, simply because it's where the hot-hatch originated."

Look at the golf Mk6 - It's twice the size&weight and twice the price. The new Golf... is the Polo.
But I feel sorry for the horses.

One of the best episodes in a long time. I love top gear, just frickin love it :) I am always watching the re-runs on BBC knowledge and BBC entertainment and other channels that broadcats it here in sweden. I also have all the episodes from all the seasons saved so i can watch it when TG is not on air :) TG helps me get through the days when being home from work and bored because i have done 14 surgerys to my legs.
I am so greatful for this site that is providing us outside UK with the latest TG episodes.
The thing I not did like about this episode was that the fat cheating dumbass Briatore got some TV time. He looked even more discusting now then before the incident where he got kicked out of F1.

i rated this episode a 10 because it was brilliant with the monaco tarck race and the humor in it, TG is the best TV show all categories

I drive one, so I look at it every day ... and I completely agree with your statement - well, except for the price-issue. Considering inflation/average income, a Golf isn't much more expensive today than it was in the 70s/80s. Plus it's loaded with technology that you wouldn't even find on an S-class back then.

Still: It *is* the Golf-class even though it has grown to ridiculous proportions. And not just at VW I might add: Pretty much all cars in that segment are huge these days - a lot of them are even larger than the Golf itself. If I hadn't been as worried as I was about buying a French car, I probably would've gotten a Clio RS myself instead of a Golf VI. It really has become too big a car for a single guy with no kids.

But I feel sorry for the horses.

ROFL. :D

However: No need to feel sorry for them - they're very valuable and as a consequence are treated very carefully by their owners/riders.

S.

Last edited:
The new Golf... is the Polo.

That's true for (almost)every car maker. Clio is the new Megane, 500 is the new Bravo, A1 is the new A3. In 10 years time, the currently small cars will be huge, the Twingo will be the new Clio and they will have released a new small city wheelchair with aircon.

Oh driving in Monaco was just epic. I am jealous. That alone makes it 9/10

Also i died laughing when May brought the pregnant lady and Clarkson says "You work fast".

Well, reading all of the comments definitely confirms the old saying "You can't please everyone". It's interesting how the segments some people love for whatever reason, others seem to loathe with a passion for the same reason. ;)

Well, reading all of the comments definitely confirms the old saying "You can't please everyone". It's interesting how the segments some people love for whatever reason, others seem to loathe with a passion for the same reason. ;)
A bit like Marmite really.

Nice to see Jeremy acknowledge the effect the Victorian Bushfires had on people as it's easy to forget 173 people died and many more, Ross Noble included, were forced to abandon their homes and everything in it.

Clarkson's memory might be wearing a little thin. In the interview he says: "We heard about them on the news... here". He and Hammond were in Australia on the day the fires happened - we were in the crowd watching them that afternoon @ TG Live in Sydney. Was equally as hot there as it was in Victoria.

It's pretty much perfect in my book. I started to figure out what the term "Growler" meant so it was still really funny.

I totally agree with James on the sports car front.

"There's someone with a stick poking all the pretty girls to the front. And you know there's guys in the middle standing there going "mmmhmm".":lol: