[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
a solid episode. I think last week's was slightly better, prefer episodes to have more than 2 segments (power test and feature).

Ross Noble was a great guest, impressive lap time too. Highlight of the episode has to be in Monaco, Jezza really was going for it, and you could see how much it meant to him to drive around there.

This series is definitely looking good so far, they've cut down the scripted falling about stuff ALOT already this year.

It's weird, I liked the episode but I thought you would all hate it!

I actually really love roadtrips with TG. They are full of driving experience. See the albanian one or the one in search of the best driving road in central europe. This one though was bad. That challenge was just unnecessary. I mean, these are hot hatches - yes - but they pretend to be sports cars. So why don't they test them like real sports cars? There was about 5 minutes evaluation for all three cars. They'll spend more time on a Porsche 911...
James' Virage test was quite nice - not so much tire smoking. But why does he bother with the N?rburgring?

I thought it was a great episode. Probably because it was again more petrolhead-oriented. Thought that Jeremy's lap was actually pretty impressive, it was clear that he was pushing (and knew the track well after a couple of decades on/off reporting on it).

That said, the Virage, it's too...in the middle. Too...Cayman.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

really loved this episode :) good to see james on the track because his approach to it isnt just POWEEEEEER, and loved the bit in the studio after it " now its time to see how fast it goes round our track' 'WHY??'" even though i know it was scripted it does seem like the sort of thing james would say
news was funny, hammonds reaction everytime he realised they were talking about a car called a growler!
ross noble was better than i expected because i usually find him annoying when i see him on tv, and the hot hatch film really was brilliant, i like episodes where u can tell that they had brilliant fun, like the botswana one, even though it does make me awfully jealous of their amazing job, and i still dont understand how they were allowed to drive round the grand prix track!

9/10 for an amazing episode :)

Reactions: TC
Astons - they all look the same! Come back when you decide to make something new.

The Growler :lol:

Hot hatches - first part looked a little bit cheesy and forced, but second was better. Jeremy on the edge. And you can't be quick with a roof down.

SIARPC - strange face, good driver.

I gave it 8. It was good episode but I've seen better. :)

what a brilliant ep. hot hatches part were just excellent. However I was i little bit disappointed by beginning of the challenge. Ok so they kind of got into the city center but after that they were acting how difficult it is to get out of there?...still 10/10.

Last edited:
In one hour without shelling out a credit card, without identifying myself in any manor other than a dynamic IP I was watching this weeks episode of Top Gear. That is 60 minutes from the time it completed on air a complete copy was playing on my living room screen.

I feel bad that I'm making a review of a show I just ......

That said I love the modern world, and I love the throw back this episode provided to a an earlier Top Gear. The hatches were fun a gem, The N?rburgring rant was classic, Jeremy agreeing with James was shocking, a lap beyond any other lap leaving Jeremy in near tears saying thank you thank you thank you.

I could ask for no more, right now the world is a happy little place I just wish it was me.

9/10 Its what so many have asked for and it was delivered.

yeah and as an aside... they lost a point for reviewing another Aston. I feel this is a reasonable penalty to apply and should continue to be applied. Enough with Astons please no more.

I'm actually surprised that this episode is receiving so much praise. I didn't find it particularly funny and i thought it was just missing that special something that most TG episodes have. Definitely NOT a bad episode by any means, just wasn't up to my expectations. I think the word that sums up my feelings about the episode would be, "bland."

As much as I dislike Flavio, I was laughing the loudest when I heard him say "Jesus Christ" the first two times.
Great to see Bernie in the passenger seat giving advice to Jezza.
Loved James and Jezza's moment in the studio (even as scripted as is was).

Nevertheless I give the episode a 7.5/10 (rounded to 8/10)

I liked james'es test drive, but couldnt care less about the hatchback trip. it felt heavily scripted, the only genuine thing was J.C.'s nerd out for the GP track. my guess is the trip and gags were done on a whim, to use Ecclestones good will lending the track to them. news and SIARPC were ok.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised that this episode is receiving so much praise.

Those laps got so many points with me living out a dream I will never get to have with a car I might!! That alone put this above an 8 for the emotion it created.

Is it just me or did hammond's laugh during the growler discussion sound like basil brush (pun intended)?

That was a really good episode. Noble was the best guest in ages and the Monaco part of the challenge was one of the most memorable TG moments in a long time, you could really see just how much it meant to Jeremy.

The Aston Martin test was just brilliant. 10
Also the news 10
The Hot hatch journey with the end in Monaco was excellence. 10
The Star was good 9

Over all that has to be a 10

Last edited:
Virage test: Good points by May. Why did they reduce the aspect ratio of the entire film? Not one of the best-shot films as of late, but it's not the worst. Kind of, I dunno, in the middle.
News: Not bad. Seemed forced at points. Hammond's impressions were great.
Hatchback trip part 1: Nice shorts, producer. "Juvenile." The escape from the town seemed quite scripted (or at least, predictable). Looks like the presenters had a lot of fun.
SIARPC: Not a big Ross Noble fan. Watched a bit, skipped the rest.
Hatchback trip part 2: Glad they aired the Monaco bit, previewed in the GP broadcast. That Abarth looks terrific. That Citro?n looks vulgar. Any film with the Miami cue from "Goldfinger" is immediately made better. Man, I'd love to drive that circuit. The scoreboard was a bit stupid.

Observation: the road trip movies have taken a turn towards the ridiculous. There used to be one big "challenge" (get to a bridge; beat your co-presenters to a destination). Now there are a ton of smaller challenges designed to provoke slapstick comedy.

Huge let down.

Last week's episode got my hopes up that TG had finally found their old self again, being magnificent AND witty, so I envisioned a fantastic series. This episode brought me back to the reality of useless nonsense, cringe worthy overdone "funnies" and being bored.

A 5, at best.

Your life must be sad.

Episode: Great, much fun was had. The Aston part was a bit dull, but it's still a 8/10, closer to 9.