[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
Clio RS cup, in in Kawasaki green(or lime green as they call it) should have been a treat;unfortunately it was driven by james.I wish Jeremy had picked it, I wish he drove it around Monaco;it sounds excellent,it drives great.
Apart from that,the challenge part was lovely, it is nice to see they haven't run out of
ideas; the Italian town is magnificent and driving around the Monaco GP circuit...niice!

james: "I like dogs and cats" =))))))))))))))))))))))))) reminds me of -Hello!
woman dropping dog when Jeremy turns left
Francesca,he made you pregnant?
Jeremy:'that could have something to do with its driver' thank you!

interesting how the guys had helmets and Bernie and the others didn't
man, flavio briatore is fat as a rhino;he reminds me of Fat Bastard from Austin Powers

zZz...

- Please don't review another new Aston as long as it doesn't look like a new Aston. I felt like I was watching a TG ep from 2005.

- Overall much more of a scripted feel again than last week's ep. Even the studio bits weren't spontaneous at all. And yet another challenge with yet another boring conclusion with pointless scores on the board.

Aston review was okay, James' studio antics were a bit stupid IMO
News wasnt even news, it was 8 minutes of middle school sex puns
First half of the hatchback thing was a bit too drawn out for me but the 2nd half was alright
Gave it a 6

Very enjoyable episode, although the fitting the stuff in segment was probably a bit more over the top and so was the scoring, but nevermind that, they were racing on the Monaco Track. 9/10.

The Virage review was good, but Jeremy's response was a bit of a turn off and clearly scripted.
Good to see the TG road trips back. Always enjoy them, and this hot hatchback one is no different. I'll give it a 9/10

what a brilliant ep. hot hatches part were just excellent. However I was i little bit disappointed by beginning of the challenge. Ok so they kind of got into the city center but after that they were acting how difficult it is to get out of there?...still 10/10.

With all of those streets being one way, I can believe they were lost and not just acting it out.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! :D

It was a perfect mix of humour and cars and had a nice old-school Top Gear feel to it. :D

9.5/10

Last edited:
9/10

the ONLY reason i gave it just a 9 was that i thought James's film was kind of bland. he needs to stick to doing his type of cars.

Notes:
the production was brilliant (as usual)
no, it said nothing about "the dog must be alive" it just said dog.
Jezza's driving impressed the fuck out of me but i was almost sure he would stuff that car into turn 1 wall!
Bernie was fun
The sound from the top of that hill must be epic!
the Aston film was kind of flat IMO
How many of us didnt know richard would lose the car when he decided to walk? exactly.

Overall, i love when they do these road trips and they make me feel like im along for the ride and they did that here. Im so happy that our favorite show is in top form once again. Great job. just great.

Overall it was good, loved James's points on the Aston (although, yes, the near-identical Astons are getting old), although the bit in the studio afterwards felt scripted. News had a few scripted moments, but I loved the line, "I'm going out to wax the Growler!" The hatch segment was good, but the "what can you get in it" bit dragged on for a bit and felt a bit scripted as well. The bit in Monaco was brilliant, though. You could tell Jeremy really loved being there.

8/10

Kind of a dull episode for me, really. I have no interest in F1 (insert your favorite American deprecation here), so Monaco didn't turn me on. The Lucca and scavenger hunt bits dragged too long and got less and less interesting. There were only two refreshing things in the episode: 1) For the first time in a long time, Top Gear didn't get down on its knees and do a tongue-cleaning on Aston Martin's dingleberries and 2) Bernie. He's the love child of Quentin Crisp and Gollum, isn't he?

Kind of a dull episode for me, really. I have no interest in F1 (insert your favorite American deprecation here), so Monaco didn't turn me on. The Lucca and scavenger hunt bits dragged too long and got less and less interesting. There were only two refreshing things in the episode: 1) For the first time in a long time, Top Gear didn't get down on its knees and do a tongue-cleaning on Aston Martin's dingleberries and 2) Bernie. He's the love child of Quentin Crisp and Gollum, isn't he?

i dont understand why that has an impact on the quality of that film? did you think "oh god, an F1 track, its gonna suck"? I mean nothing off by this question, just asking.

Meh, just OK for me.

Highlights:

-JC's positive camber
-Monaco

Oh, and do they plan on using Tron music for every episode? That soundtrack is EVERYWHERE right now.

-JC's positive camber

They were discribing negative camber while non of them corrected each other. No did anyone in the audience.

Over all I was not terribly entertained by the episode. It's been 6's for awhile.

Overall I really enjoyed this episode. For one, they didn't destroy any cars. And two, the standard cookie cutter sportscar/supercar track test actually had a few moments outside of the track for once.

The new Aston test was pretty good, although the harping about the NRing got a bit old. I love Astons, but they tend not to be the most hardcore cars. To see Aston take that a bit seriously, at the expense of fat geezers with bad backs, doesn't really bother me. But still, it was fun watching James get all angry about it. He's definitely not the hardcore performance car type.

The news was pretty funny, I enjoyed all the Growler jokes, and the attention to more reasonably priced cars, rather than the typical supercar stuff.

SIARPC, same as always.

The hot hatch challenge. I really, really enjoyed it. It's nice to see more realistic cars being tested. That said, when they were ripping around Monaco, I kinda wished they would have done a supercar challenge of some sort, but that probably would have been dangerous. Better that they drove more manageable cars instead. I thought it was a great segment with such beautiful scenery in Italy. Quality segment, I thought. And the tally of points was pretty funny too.

9/10

i dont understand why that has an impact on the quality of that film? did you think "oh god, an F1 track, its gonna suck"? I mean nothing off by this question, just asking.

No, it's not that. I meant that the boys going around Monaco just doesn't have the resonance for me that it would for someone who's into F1. Monaco has the same relationship to an F1 fan that, say, Daytona does to a NASCAR fan and the Brickyard has to an IndyCar fan. Without that connection, the whole thing just loses something, especially with the ending. I couldn't empathize with Jeremy because I don't have the same set of values he does when it comes to the experience he just had. It therefore became watching someone fulfill a dream of his, which can tend toward the maudlin, and this is something I personally don't like.

Compare that to the Truffle Race. This was another "Jeremy fulfills a dream" piece, only this time I, and I think everyone here, shared that dream of driving the world's fastest production car across four countries in a day, but he'd only have that car for that day and that day only. We could empathize with his feelings at the end.

It has nothing to do with the technical quality of the piece. It only has to do with the level of emotional connection I experienced when watching it. I didn't have that connection, therefore I couldn't get into it as much as a lot of people here.

I enjoyed the episode a lot, however there was something that has started to annoy me. Their stupid scoring of challenges. I know it's all supposed to be a joke and provoke a few laughs, but it's getting a bit much now. Hammond losing all his points was unnecessary, even though I'm not a fan of the Fiat. They could make a funny film, but at the end it wouldn't hurt if they come to a reasonable conclusion. The way the challenge ended made me feel like I just lost an hour of my life watching something completely pointless.

On another note, there was a very juicy black T5-R wagon on the streets of Monaco when they were arriving :)

interesting how the guys had helmets and Bernie and the others didn't

Yeah, that caught my attention to - wonder why the tutors didn't wear helmets.

As for me, gave it a 10. I really enjoyed this episode, scripted or not. Jeremy's semi-stunned reaction as James keeps going on about the car was still funny. And Jeremy's reason why the Aston had to go around the track...hee hee hee.

And I really laughed quite hard at the news segment. :lol:

No, it's not that. I meant that the boys going around Monaco just doesn't have the resonance for me that it would for someone who's into F1. Monaco has the same relationship to an F1 fan that, say, Daytona does to a NASCAR fan and the Brickyard has to an IndyCar fan. Without that connection, the whole thing just loses something, especially with the ending. I couldn't empathize with Jeremy because I don't have the same set of values he does when it comes to the experience he just had. It therefore became watching someone fulfill a dream of his, which can tend toward the maudlin, and this is something I personally don't like.

Compare that to the Truffle Race. This was another "Jeremy fulfills a dream" piece, only this time I, and I think everyone here, shared that dream of driving the world's fastest production car across four countries in a day, but he'd only have that car for that day and that day only. We could empathize with his feelings at the end.

It has nothing to do with the technical quality of the piece. It only has to do with the level of emotional connection I experienced when watching it. I didn't have that connection, therefore I couldn't get into it as much as a lot of people here.

I'm no F1 fan by any means. In fact, I think it's probably the most overrated form of racing ever, to risk getting a ton of neg reps. Every time I've tried to get involved and serious about watching F1, it just puts me to sleep or makes me angry with all their over-the-top drama and nonsense. That being said, I totally understand the magic that is Monaco. They've been racing their for a long long time and it's a very special race. Even if you're not interested in it now, who's to say you won't get interested in it in the future and be able to look back on this episode with new found appreciation?

Either way though, I don't think the show should try and cater to people who don't know anything about whatever it is they're doing. If it's truly special to the host, then the show should do it's best to show how special it really is. Like when Jeremy was geeking out about the grand prix taking place, but Richard and James were clueless. It's funny to show that side of it, but also show Jeremy's impressions of the place.

Last edited:
Simply amazing, I really liked James take on the Aston and I agree with him, Aston should stop trying to be Porsche and instead should just be Aston, the very pretty GT cars. The star part was funny although I have no idea who that dude is, but the hot hatches road movie is one of the best Top Gear challenges ever, and that finish in Monaco was simply stunningly amazingly awesome. An 11 for this episode!

I'm no F1 fan by any means. In fact, I think it's probably the most overrated form of racing ever, to risk getting a ton of neg reps. Every time I've tried to get involved and serious about watching F1, it just puts me to sleep or makes me angry with all their over-the-top drama and nonsense. That being said, I totally understand the magic that is Monaco. They've been racing their for a long long time and it's a very special race. Even if you're not interested in it now, who's to say you won't get interested in it in the future and be able to look back on this episode with new found appreciation?

Either way though, I don't think the show should try and cater to people who don't know anything about whatever it is they're doing. If it's truly special to the host, then the show should do it's best to show how special it really is. Like when Jeremy was geeking out about the grand prix taking place, but Richard and James were clueless. It's funny to show that side of it, but also show Jeremy's impressions of the place.

im guessing you havnt been watching this year? lol, its been epic (well, except for Valencia). I guess its one of those things you have to get right away or you wont like it. For me, everyone i have introed to F1 is now in love with it so im somewhat surprised. atleast you tried but ill say, try watching it with an F1 fan. Its by far the greatest racing in the world. Remember, its the arguably second most popular sport (league) in the world for a reason.

Oh, ill pos rep you to balance the neg ;)