[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
im guessing you havnt been watching this year? lol, its been epic (well, except for Valencia). I guess its one of those things you have to get right away or you wont like it. For me, everyone i have introed to F1 is now in love with it so im somewhat surprised. atleast you tried but ill say, try watching it with an F1 fan. Its by far the greatest racing in the world. Remember, its the arguably second most popular sport (league) in the world for a reason.

Oh, ill pos rep you to balance the neg ;)

I may try again, unfortunately I don't have good cable or satellite tv. The first time I tried getting into F1 was during the dominate reign of Michael Schumacher. So I would get up before dawn to watch Michael lead his Ferrari team mate around a track, followed single file by everyone else, for an hour or two. It just got boring to be honest. I'd fall asleep watching half the time. So I quit. The second time I tried to get into it was after Michael "retired" and other teams stood a fighting chance. McLaren was leading with Hamilton, so I started watching again. But then there was the whole scandal with the Ferrari documents and McLaren was disqualified and Ferrari won again, yay. I quit.

As far as exciting racing goes, BTCC and WRC blows F1 away. In my opinion, anyway.

9/10. Superb.

Aston Martin has become so boring. They've made a car deliberately to fit between two existing models. How Porshish.

I may try again, unfortunately I don't have good cable or satellite tv. The first time I tried getting into F1 was during the dominate reign of Michael Schumacher. So I would get up before dawn to watch Michael lead his Ferrari team mate around a track, followed single file by everyone else, for an hour or two. It just got boring to be honest. I'd fall asleep watching half the time. So I quit. The second time I tried to get into it was after Michael "retired" and other teams stood a fighting chance. McLaren was leading with Hamilton, so I started watching again. But then there was the whole scandal with the Ferrari documents and McLaren was disqualified and Ferrari won again, yay. I quit.

As far as exciting racing goes, BTCC and WRC blows F1 away. In my opinion, anyway.

i watch those as well. I say that if you attempt to follow it by watching the speed channel guys then you should be fine. they have made alot of changes in the last 2 years to make the races more close and exciting and it seems they have done a good job but i still pray for rain.

Well, I screwed up. Meant to put an 8 but somehow ended up misclicking several times to get a 1. Don't ask me how that happened, as I'm not sure how either.

8 because I really did enjoy the hot hatch challenges, but not really anything else. Didn't know the SIARPC, and wanted the Aston segment to be over despite liking May.

Aston Martin Virage: James' rant on the Nurburgring notwithstanding, a good review, with a nice variation on the "hand it over" ritual.
News: Bit too much made on the "growler" nomenclature, I'm afraid.
Hot Hatches in Southern Europe: well, I'll concede that JC has a point about that Fiat not being a hatch. It's still a car I'll want on my shortlist. Might have been a better joke if JC had asked James of his passenger: "Was she in that condition when she climbed in?"
SIARPC: Pretty good. I think I laughed harder only when Michael McIntyre was previously on. It'd be pretty damn funny if John Bishop turned out to be a motorcycle rider; imaging JC's reaction to the idea that to be a fast SIARPC, you should learn to ride a bike first.

Overall: 7/10.

I went by my usual system. if, I smiled, while watching or laughed out loud or just watched it. Even though the James /Jezzer Aston bit was scripted for once it was James doing the rant and Jezzer being the straight man. I chuckled a few times on that segment and a few more throughout. I gave it a 9 (should have been high 8ish). The trick will be to see how entertaining it is when you watch it a few more times. I'm sure everyone has seen a segment where they thought set the standard. Mine has always been the "euro egg cap" road testing with the cars disintegrating down the road. On that one the first time I saw it I couldn't stop laughing. That is probably due to the unscripted nature of the "disaster". The poorer episodes always seem to be when the boys are a bit forced. This episode I had the distinct impression things were a bit loose with them for some reason. Curious if anyone else had that impression.

They were discribing negative camber while non of them corrected each other. No did anyone in the audience.

Over all I was not terribly entertained by the episode. It's been 6's for awhile.

irked me enough to register. atleast clarkson should know that one, professional auto journalist and all.

Last edited:
Even if the rest of it had been the 3 of them staring at a gray wall, the Monaco bit is enough for a 10/10. I mean c'mon - it all begins with the magical sound of engines at 20k rpm, parties on yatchs, the F1 track, the guys who coached them, and proper driving - how can you not get excited !!

Last edited:
Even if the rest of it had been the 3 of them staring at a gray wall, the Moncao bit is enough for a 10/10. I mean c'mon - it all begins with the magical sound of engines at 20k rpm, parties on yatchs, the F1 track, the guys who coached them, and proper driving - how can you not get excited !!

Because, to quote the great philosopher Morrissey, "it says nothing to me about my life". And you could at least spell the place they were at correctly.

Eight out of ten.

A brilliant road trip dragged down by the Aston. James' writing excellent as always, but TG is on the verge of doing the impossible....making me tired of Aston Martin.

I loved that one. while I did think the whole "We cant get out of the city when we drove in ourselves" was overdone, I liked the idea of a good old fashioned scavenger hunt.

The news was hilarious though a bit 'school boy' giggly. The SIARPC cracked me up.

The F1 course in Monaco was really great. Hammond and May on the boat with the girl made me giggle some more.

Bernie's "Have those two other cars disqualified" made me snort. :p

Overall a solid 9. :D

Best episode in a long time I feel. Better than any from the last series (barring the holy land trip)

James's rant was rather scripted, but still funny, excellent road trip, with an exciting 2nd half for once.

As much as I couldn't see him driving either of the other two, I just wish it hadn't been James driving the Clio Cup... I used one to go around the Nurburgring, fantastic little car.

Another excellent episode. The Virage review was good, but hot hatches in Italy, then going on to go around Monaco, just excellent. I was hoping Jeremy would mention that he had experience on the track, but since that was on a motorcycle I guess that doesn't count.

Great camera work, loved seeing the images from the front mounted camera as the Citroen was following the other two. I'm tempted to give this one a 10, but it's just not quite perfect somehow.

So, I'll give it a 99%, A+

Great episode. If the remaining four episodes in this series are as good as the first two, this could shape up to be one of the best yet.

I can't decide between Clarkson's Citreon DS3R or Hammond's Fiat..
Both looked speedy and rather cool to look at.

I'd probably rather have the Fiat, though, just because it's cuter~

James' Aston Martin bit while enjoyable did seem a little dull since they do so many Aston Martin reviews, but the rest of the show was absolutely brilliant. Loved the hot hatchback road trip and especially the lap in Monte Carlo. James on the top of the wall was lol worthy as was the Growler in the news. Plus, that was probably the most enjoyable Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment ever, IMO. Overall, I'd give it a 9.5/10, which rounds up to 10/10. I'm really loving this series of Top Gear so far.

Very fun episode to watch, quite enjoyable. Just loved the hot-hatchs thing, and Monaco is my favourite F1 racetrack of them all, so it was fantastic to see TG there. Still, i've to be honest, the previous episode was a bit better, so it's a solid 8/10 this time

Aston review was okay, James' studio antics were a bit stupid IMO

The Virage review was good, but Jeremy's response was a bit of a turn off and clearly scripted.

although the bit in the studio afterwards felt scripted.

Just sayin'.

no, it said nothing about "the dog must be alive" it just said dog.

EXACTLY! Which leads me to talk about this...

I enjoyed the episode a lot, however there was something that has started to annoy me. Their stupid scoring of challenges. I know it's all supposed to be a joke and provoke a few laughs, but it's getting a bit much now. Hammond losing all his points was unnecessary, even though I'm not a fan of the Fiat. They could make a funny film, but at the end it wouldn't hurt if they come to a reasonable conclusion.

I agree with all of this. They've not scored any challenges like this seriously since Series 10 (British Leyland Challenge). Richard didn't need to lose points. It was a (IMO) idiotic case of "Let's bash Hammond for not choosing a true hot hatch". Fucking ridiculous.

Kind of a dull episode for me, really. I have no interest in F1 (insert your favorite American deprecation here), so Monaco didn't turn me on.

I'm no fan of F1 either, but I liked that part.

Compare that to the Truffle Race. This was another "Jeremy fulfills a dream" piece, only this time I, and I think everyone here, shared that dream of driving the world's fastest production car across four countries in a day, but he'd only have that car for that day and that day only. We could empathize with his feelings at the end.

I don't dream of driving the Veyron, actually. Although I can appreciate the engineering that went into it, I think it's overrated and has no personality. Substitute it for a Zonda, on the other hand... :hump: