[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

[17x02] July 3rd, 2011

• Total voters
9 outta 10

9 outta 10

Awesome Ep all around I must say! Nicer tracks playing too & some girls in that Italian town...gosh
I think they should've praised the Virage for at least looking a bit different cuz frankly it would have been hard to spot the differences between first 3 cars if they were all painted same.

In monaco, they just made me more jealous there! Lived a dream day >>

i disagree, i never skip the interview but this one was lame so i moved on. Why do people always just automatically skip the damn interview? i dont get it.

Well, it is not like a reflex, but most of the time I do fast forward trough the interview part if the guest is not interesting, like politicians or British reality TV stars, like these investment banker characters or actors from unknown to me TV shows. I have however watched the interesting ones (like Brian Johnson, Ronnie Wood, Stephen Fry and Simon Pegg) several times.

Grat episode. Loved it. Especially because they had my car in it! (Well I don't have the Cup version...)
Only thing -the Clio RS doesn't have 197HP... it has 201. Wondered why they got that on wrong.

James' point about the Aston is exactly what I was thinking but couldn't have put into words..
He is able to describe things, that others can't.

Aston, the new 911?

Naw... doesn't drive nearly as good as a 911.. :D

As I and others already pointed out, Aston should come up with something new and "radical". Yeah, the One-77 was breathtakingly beautiful and incredible to look at, but it hardly qualifies as a "production car". I'm thinking about something along the lines of the insane Lagonda - well, minus the Casio-dashboard of course. Instead they launch the Rapide which just looks like another DB9 but with a stretched wheelbase.

As it is now, they just keep copying themselves and seem to be almost as obsessed with "corporate face"-styling as Audi is. Mind you: There's nothing wrong with a Merc looking like a Merc or a BMW like a BMW. But I *hate* the fact that some manufacturers these days seem to think that all their cars should look *exactly* the same (see Audi's line-up to see what I'm on about).

Only thing -the Clio RS doesn't have 197HP... it has 201. Wondered why they got that on wrong.

They weren't wrong. They are using bhp (brake horsepower) in the UK. So HP-values quoted in the UK will always be a bit lower than on the continent. Doesn't mean the cars are less powerful over there, just that they're using a different system of measuring the horses.

S.

Last edited:
Fun episode, but the whole 'positive camber' thing really shit me. What they were talking about was NEGATIVE CAMBER. Yes I know I'm being a pedant but it's the world's most popular car show, someone on staff should have known this

What they were talking about was NEGATIVE CAMBER.

Yup: Positive camber = bad, negative camber = good. :D

Oh well..maybe it's because they're British ... positive = negative over there?
:p

S.

8/10. I skipped the interview with whathisname. Haven't heard of him, not interested in comedians. No hate, just blah.

James in the Aston was great. The afterwards with Jeremy was funny, for a short bit. Then they killed the horse and moved on.

News? I get it, it's slang for something 13 year olds find funny.

Hot Hatches: Considering we (in the US) only get one of these three eventually (maybe) it was neat to see it about. The race at Monte Carlo was fun to watch however. Why doesn't Monaco ditch those fancy F1 cars for a race of Spec Abarths? huh? :D

I think James made a valid point about the Aston suspension being too hard; this is the sort of car I would want (if I could afford it) as a genuine grand tourer that I could drive in comfort all day, and having a hard suspension would be annoying. A number of car makers would do well to make their cars for the roads and not for race tracks.

I'm not familiar with the celeb Ross Noble but he was funny and I was interested in what he said about the 2009 Victorian bush fires as I was almost caught in them myself. His wife was racing in her car to get ahead of the fire, and the fire was advancing at an incredible speed because of gale force winds. Some people in cars didn't make it.

Aston review: good. Odd banter with Jeremy after: not so good.
News: dangerously close to crap news of recent years but not terrible.
Guest: funny.
Hot hatch review: the first half was quite silly. Some funny moments but some eye-rollers as well. Second half was great though. Jesus Christ.

I do wish they discussed more of the pluses and minuses of the cars though, with a more sorted conclusion at the end. I don't think we even saw any interior shots.

Last edited:
I didn't like the entry (James' Aston Martin presentation)
Road trip was excellent.
9/10