[17x03] July 10th, 2011

[17x03] July 10th, 2011

• Total voters
So, when Fifth Gear had the two cars, the Ferrari was the brillantly stable one and bothe Tiff and Jason struggled to keep the McLaren Fax Machine from spinning. Yet when Top Gear drives both, the McLaren drives like it's on railway tracks and the Ferrari is sideways all the time. And to top that off, the rumour is that the current Stig may well be Tiff Needell.

Anyway, great show. Funnily enough, I think Sebastian Vettel did come across a bit tense, with forced humour...

My jaw absolutely dropped when Jeremy showed his CL600, seriously $6995 GPB

Yeah seriously! In my area I'm can only find early 2000's domestic cars for that price around here with that kind of mileage.

Top Gear is really hitting those notes this season!
Solid 10/10 for me!

Yeah seriously! In my area I'm can only find early 2000's domestic cars for that price around here with that kind of mileage.

They do exist though. It's only a little bit more expensive, but it has less miles and 6 months warranty

ig_800.jpg

CL600 v12

Well. It's a car show.

MP4-12C: Amazing car, think it beats the Ferrari in nearly every way, and it's my only point of disagreement with Jezza. Amazing laptime and tastefully choreographed. 9/10

News: Good mix of cars and cocking about while still related to cars. Owners' Club thing fascinates me, and the bird-doodoo hits home since I washed my car on Saturday, and by Sunday's end, it was peppered with the stuff all over. 10/10

Evoque: Weekly dose of May does not disappoint, a focused review with little much else beyond technicalities, much as one would expect May to do if he had full control of the segment. 10/10

Vettel: Surprisingly not at all pompous, and seemed rather aloof. It's nice to see that he has a soul and can be funny. Brilliant laptime, but I'm really sick of him podium-ing or winning everything. 9/10

CCC: Still annoys me that May wasn't featured, but he would be sensible and buy the Pixo due to his tendency towards small cars. Liked their choices and liked the backstory; actually was relevant to the car market itself. Deduct one for May being absent, but added it back for featuring two of my favourite cars of all time, side-by-side. 10/10

Total: 9.5/10 which is going up to a 10 for me. By far and away one of the best TopGear episodes that I've seen in a while.

Last edited:
:dunno: the cheapest German CL600 I can find is 11500? with 220000km on the clock...

The Pixo starts at 8290?, I assume Mercs don't depreciate that much around here.

I think they get driven until they fall apart. And that should take a while even if it is a Schrempp-era Merc.

I have no complaints at all.

flawless victory

10/10

Yes Andy. This is what we want more of. Save the budget for something 'truely' epic and spend the rest of the time being entertaining, informative and objective.

Couldn't have said it better myself! This is what TopGear used to be like...until they started focusing on epic races...which are getting quite repetitive (both in terms of content & humor).

Excellent episode, wide range of topics and approaches, visually excellent, real car stuff, plenty of humour...

But (and with deep apologies to the serious car fans)

James - the hair - No!!!

He-he. :cool:
He-He vanished. :(

And..

:thumbsup:

Also, does that space behind Jeremy's shoulder have her name on it? :lol:

And..

I saw he-he. :D

And another...

It was great seeing he-he in the audience again.

He-He...Final Gear's own version of "Where's Waldo?" We should almost have a contest to see who can see her first! Not that I'm jealous of her getting to go or anything....

*mostly...* :p

Because they wanna do the lap in under 2 minutes 2 Hours.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

And I have to admit that I was one who never really watched all the stars, but going back and watching the episodes, I have really ended up liking a lot of them. And Vettel this week was actually pretty good, in my opinion.

This is the cheapest CL600 on CarSalesDotComDotAu. The equivalent of ?35,500 .. and it is 2 years older :( ... so yeah, five time what Jezza paid.

The cheapest one I found on the site where I buy my cars

$13000 USD (only about $1,500 off of clarksons price)
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...rId=23259&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national

But lets not forget that Clarksons car had cocaine, marijuana, and lady juice remnants in it! :lol:

The cheapest CL 600 like Jezza's costs almost ?26k in Finland, and it's not even a sub-100k mile car. In fact at least half of the cars they featured in that "cheap second hand car" lineup are pretty rare and expensive here.
Hahahah... Finland probably isn't the best place to look for a cheap car. Remember the 100% sales tax?
I've heard plenty of stories from my father (who is from Finland)

Most of those stereotypes are being kept alive by Americans posing as Germans on some strange annual folklore festivals within the US of A. That's about as accurate as Germans posing as cowboys and Indians on some Western festival here in Bavaria.

This was a really solid, funny and entertaining episode. I can't help but gloat a bit about the surprised "Hey, that Sebastian Vettel is actually a nice guy" comments... Tells much about the value of the discussions in the F1 threads...

I'm aware of this.
Half of my family (my entire mothers side) is German.
When I say German "stereotype" I'm talking of them being pretty dull, and without a sense of humor.
Saying that, my father and everyone from his family is from Finland, so I can't say much about humor :lol:

Last edited:
Solid episode. Not spectacular, but good. 8.5/10. Didn't like the Vettel interview; not a big fan of him, and I found him a bit annoying, but a stunning lap. Range Rover Evoque review was the highlight for me, but I liked the McLaren review (wish it was longer though). The used car feature was both entertaining and informative. In fact, I had a debate about this with my neighbor the other day, who only buys used luxury cars at a massive discount. He recently traded in a used Porsche Boxster plus a little bit of cash for an '08 R8, and it looks brand new. I really hope more people watch the used car film from this episode, because it would help so many people out there.

I'm only voting 10/10 because there is no option for 13/10. AWESOMEEE episode, I enjoyed every last second of it. I will be watching this one all the way through many times. God that was good (that's what see said). A+++

If the CL600 and 850 turn out to be reliable, Im bringing one home from my student exchange year in Germany!

Forget it. Its more expensive here. A CL 600 like Jeremys would set back more than 12000 GPB.

Regards from Germany

But lets not forget that Clarksons car had cocaine, marijuana, and lady juice remnants in it! :lol:

Wouldn't that make the car more valuable? ;-)

I've just caught up on the first three episodes, all have been solid 9/10s. Certainly the cars/cocking about ratio has improved muchly. Nothing really to complain about.

I have to say though - man, secondhand cars are cheap in the UK. That 850 is AU$30,000 (?20,000) here in Australia and you won't find a CL600 for under AU$50,000 (?33,500) either.

Cheers, Ben.

As others have mentioned, I cannot find the SL for under 15 000 GBP in UK or Germany. That kind of ruins the whole point, when the car is double the price they said. Plus it ruined my day, since I was starting to contemplate buying one.

Last edited: