[17x05] July 24th, 2011

[17x05] July 24th, 2011

• Total voters
Ok, watched the entire episode now. SIARPC was not terribly exciting but I, too, never expect much from that segment, so I'm not going to complain that the entire ep was garbage because of that segment.

As for the rest of the show...very rewatchable, highly entertaining. For me, the most rewatchable episode this series.

Edit: I just caught the sound Richard made when he spotted the helicopters. I'd bump the episode up to a 10, if I could, based on that squeal alone. :lol:

Last edited:
Jensen film: Similar to the E-Type film really, doing a "tribute" to an old car. Still, the intro they did was funny although I'm not sure I'd rather watch that over Top Gear. :p

News: Made me laugh with their pronunciations of those two cars and Jeremy going on about that bird.

Lotus film: Interesting, and good to see Jean Alesi making an appearance. Look forward to hearing what lap time it'll do on a dry track.

Guest: Boring. Probably the worst one so far. Geldof didn't interview at all well and it just made for lousy viewing. Get a racing driver on the show again.

Demolition thing: Made me laugh quite a bit. Staged, but still funny and some great comments.

9/10

What a great episode! Loved the Interceptor, nearly wet my pants laughing at the guys doing 70s detective stuff (with mustaches!), enjoyed the Lotus and demoliton bits. Just the guest was meh.

Oh, and the highlight, the Lancer Galant moment. Well done, sir! :)

Interceptor: so much want, I just hoped they would have changed the steering rack, too - I wouldn't want to go 167 with such a wonky steering...
The traditional white-on-black dials which "you tap when they tell you bad news and then they tell you good news" :lol:
News: nothing interesting at all besides ... you know who... ;) The icing on the cake would have been the answer how you knew it was a Galant that you are from finalgear... :lol:
Lotus F1: Obviously Clarkson would be (a bit) rubbish in the car (but so would I), it was too protracted, I'd rather wanted Alesi to go and show what the car can really do than The Stig
Bob Geldof: dull, skipped through it after the first three sentences
Demolition segment: did it really have to be a third of the whole show? It could have been easily half that since the outcome was very clear (professionals know what they do and how they do it, they obviously bring the appropriate tools...) and there were too many obviously scripted "mistakes" (Richard and the porta-potty, Jeremy destroying a car - there is a big red button "emergency stop" which is there for a reason...).

Overall an average show, the two good segments can't make up for the others, so a 5.

8/10

Was a quite silly episode, but in a good way. Hamster as "Detective" looked just :lol:
The Jensen Interceptor was awsome, though I first thought it would be a segment about Jenson (Button), which would have fit into the Lotus F1 segment/topic.
That "Aston" Toyota Aygo is just ridiculous - in looks as well as the price for that additional junk.
"Jesus" aka Bob Geldof was the worst guest in quite a while - he's not into cars at all, and looked like he couldn't care less <_<
Would have been 9/10 if Geldorf wasn't such a bore..

Does anybody know was that - sort of - technical draft at 42:38 was about :blink: It can only be seen for about 0.2 seconds, just a moment after they switch from studio to the building-site for the 2nd time. Just a optical gimmick?

Last edited:
Seriously? Band Aid, Live Aid, Live 8, or the Boomtown Rats don't ring any bells?
...and floating in a pool, bleeding from his nipples whilst without eyebrows in that Roger Waters thing. He sang in that, too.

He was a fish out of water and couldn't care less about where he was. Which is a bit of a pity since I remember him as a charismatic powerhouse. He really made things happen. In TG, unfortunately, not much. I still love the old Loudmouth. JC is best with people who did hang out with Moonie. Then he goes into proper hero worship mode. Tried it with Saint Bob, I reckon, but he was not interested. But, damn, that white hair!

Either the Interceptor was not very interesting or I was tired. Dunno. The army surplus store was impressive, tho. I wonder if all those tanks/helicopters were still being maintained. The place looked clean but I doubt they kept the stuff all running. For a brief moment I saw myself driving through the narrow one-way streets of Mannheim in a tank. That was a very happy thought. A tank covered with rear view mirrors. That's Mod! Not with Blunt's guitar strapped to the side. That would make me look like a hippie.

Edit:
That's not a Gallant! It's a Mitsubishi!
:lol:
Brownie points have been distributed.
Either that or the properly scary Lotus were the highlights of the show. Did Lotus want to trump the FXX? JC's review was great journalism. He really took a page out of Hunter S. Thompson's book. I've never seen TG explaining the experience of driving a car like this as efficiently. That was really, really well done.

Last edited:
For a brief moment I saw myself driving through the narrow one-way streets of Mannheim in a tank.
The only problem: you won't get even a red sticker so you wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near the Quadrate since it's deep inside the "Umweltzone"... :lol:

The only problem: you won't get even a red sticker so you wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near the Quadrate since it's deep inside the "Umweltzone"... :lol:

Why not? There's that GT40 that's often parked in front of the Alte Simpl. That's hardly any less wide or more economical. Who does that thing belong to, anyway?

What an utter pillock. He honestly bought a "MA-GT 40" numberplate. As if we needed telling.
Who does it belong to? Naidoo?
I'd upload the foto to the "parked like an idiot" if he were more idiotically parked.

Last edited:
Oh why did they have Geldof on? The Interceptor bit was great, the demolition, average but Geldof let the entire thing down. Weakest episode of the series so far due to the SIARPC though the rest of the series has been great so can't complain really.

I loved it - loads of laugh out loud moments.

I desperately want them to make an episode of the 70s cop show! I think we should all petition for them to do that for Comic Relief. After all, they did Ground Force, so how hard can it be?? :mrgreen:

Does anybody know was that - sort of - technical draft at 42:38 was about :blink: It can only be seen for about 0.2 seconds, just a moment after they switch from studio to the building-site for the 2nd time. Just a optical gimmick?

Hmmm... It really looks like the instructions on how to correctly install the cables to lift a container, and on the side, the "where to assemble the bolts" to load that container on a Bedford MJ transport truck (COULD be it, of course, could be also the assembly instructions for a refrigerator >.>)
5974713459_279da16969_b.jpg

Last edited:
I
Demolition segment: did it really have to be a third of the whole show? It could have been easily half that since the outcome was very clear (professionals know what they do and how they do it, they obviously bring the appropriate tools...) and there were too many obviously scripted "mistakes" (Richard and the porta-potty, Jeremy destroying a car - there is a big red button "emergency stop" which is there for a reason...).

That!

that, plus the boring SIARP drag it down to 7 for me. Other than that, I loved it.

I'd give a 9/10 just for having Jeremy "pop the cork on his champagne bottle" when the girl stepped off the plane. I fell out of my seat laughing when I saw that. Great episode all around. Demolition bit was cocking about done right. Lotus F1 review was interesting. Don't care about the guest if he's not an F1 driver/proper petrolhead, so this episode's didn't bother me. 10/10

MWF - didn't you post an "I was at Top Gear" picture in the picture-of-yourself-thread just a few weeks ago (yeah, here)? Did you (and he-he) just go there again or do they filim a few eps a batch with the same audience?

Anyway, good show. I was LMAOTC* during the "corny 70s detective show" discussion and of course, the intro. The Lotus track car is amazing, even though it will overheat with someone like Clarkson (or me) in it, it seems. And it's a shame we didn't have live pit radio in F1 TV coverage back when Jean Alesi was racing. so, the first half of the show was good - the second not so much. Bob Geldof seemed to be a total prick, and the demolition segment was... well, average at best. Or now that I think about it, I liked that it was in a way not as overstyled as many of their other "be hilarious challenges".

* "LMAO the couch"