[17x05] July 24th, 2011

[17x05] July 24th, 2011

• Total voters
MWF - didn't you post an "I was at Top Gear" picture in the picture-of-yourself-thread just a few weeks ago (yeah, here)? Did you (and he-he) just go there again or do they filim a few eps a batch with the same audience?
It was two seperate occasions. Last time was my tickets; this time my friend (the Korean lass in MWF sig) had tickets and invited me and another girl; we needed a dude at short notice to make up the numbers so MWF got lucky again.

Finally got around to watching it, enjoyed everything immensely apart from the interview. That was definitely the Valencia of that episode.

The Interceptors segment though is just one of the best things I've seen on tv in a long time. Frakkin hilarious.

1. I've liked the Jensens, even if they were rubbish. Fix the front end up and I'd think about it. (Yeah, right!)
2. Lotus F1-ish car. Nice, but no where close to my price range.
3. Bob -- Look, I skip this part unless it's someone I want to see (Alice Cooper, whathisname from AC/DC...), but I'm not watching "Saint" Bob under any circumstances.
4. Albania/Military Junkyard/Demo film: Loads of fun, after Albania that is.

I gave it an 8. I gave the first ep of this seasons TGUS a 3, so...

Wait a tick, that flying car has Massachusetts plates!

Great ep IMHO. They seem to have reached a nice balance of cars/cocking aboot.

The only thing that that irked me was the crooked front numberplate on the Jensen. Not the show's fault, but it were my 100k I'd expect it to be straight.

Loving watching these eps in hi-def without Ch9's (Aus) 30 minutes of ads and replacement nondescript music.

EDIT: Just checked because it didn't believe it, but just after the Interceptor segment (00:09:11), Clarkson really does say to Hammond...

"Did you kick that girl in the box?"

Haahahaaa! No wonder they chose take the long shot!!

"Chopper" and "box" in the same episode. AWESOME LADS!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can deny that this is turning out to be the best series since...Series 12? Series 10? Pre-dragster crash? The only wrong step so far has been the end of the train cocking about. Great episode. Let's see what next week brings for a close.
I can agree with this. I thought I was going to hate it with the way Clarkson and Wilman were talking about it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Nice to see an old car like the Interceptor getting some airtime. I LOVED that they drove it on, you know, public roads, and not just around the test track. I adored the "teaser film."

The Lotus bit was highly entertaining, and definitely helped the episode satisfy the "car-guy" quotient. Guest was actually okay, and the last bit with the destruction was the biggest surprise of them all. I really loved it. It didn't feel overly scripted. They had a lot of fun doing it, and they were smart enough not to make it an episode-long film (that would have made it mundane). About the only thing I *didn't* like was the news, which was rubbish (except for the whole "Galant/Lancer" thing, which I was glad to see someone correct Jeremy on, as I was yelling at my screen the same thing!)

I gave it an 8/10, but I'm thinking further viewing may bump it up to 9. Bring on the final episode (which I believe is supposed to be more car oriented, like ep 1-3 were)!

Good show but and its a big one for me...

Jean Alesi should have driven the suzuki liana and set a time. Please producers get him back !

I desperately want them to make an episode of the 70s cop show! I think we should all petition for them to do that for Comic Relief. After all, they did Ground Force, so how hard can it be?? :mrgreen:

Comic Relief won't come around again until 2013 (though TGGF was done for Sport Relief, so I suppose they might shoehorn it in if they can centre the 'plot' around a sports personality)... but Children In Need is at the end of November and always features much silliness. No harm in encouraging them to do something for that, is there?

I don't post here much but

if anyone in the bbc or in the top gear crew see this thread, please please make at least a full pilot episode of the interceptors for shits and giggles.

EDIT: Just checked because it didn't believe it, but just after the Interceptor segment (00:09:11), Clarkson really does say to Hammond...

"Did you kick that girl in the box?"

Really? I thought he said crotch...

Maybe I need to rewatch it... ;)

The Jenson Interceptor segment was good, the Lotus T125 was great. Didn't care too much for the demolition. 8/10.

Really? I thought he said crotch...

Maybe I need to rewatch it... ;)

I think you may actually be right.

I may just hang on to my delusional version though, seems to fit the tone of 70's segment better.

The only thing that that irked me was the crooked front numberplate on the Jensen. Not the show's fault, but it were my 100k I'd expect it to be straight.
Didn't it slip when Clarkson closed the door or something? I assumed it was a TG setup to be honest.

Didn't get the chance to ask him on the day as all three were, quite rightly, devoting their time during the break to the Help the Heroes contingent that was there by invitation, but does anywhere know where I can get a shirt like James was wearing? Not seen it before so I am guessing/hoping it is still currently available somewhere in the UK?

Didn't get the chance to ask him on the day as all three were, quite rightly, devoting their time during the break to the Help the Heroes contingent that was there by invitation, but does anywhere know where I can get a shirt like James was wearing? Not seen it before so I am guessing/hoping it is still currently available somewhere in the UK?

It looked like it was run up out of an old duvet cover, so perhaps John Lewis soft furnishings department?

What a grand episode this was, i was laughing throughout.
Especially at Jezza's fail.

Good to see that Jean Al?si have found a new job :D , and not in the gravel trap (" flat out in the gravel trap" as he was known in France in his F1 days :lol:).

I enjoyed it. News dragged on a bit, and I skipped SIARPC. Any excuse to showcase some cool/unique military vehicles is ok in my book.

I'll take a Caparo over that Lotus. Looks cooler, is street legal, and I would guess that it's not considerably slower. We'll certainly see in the coming weeks.

Good job MWF