[17x06] July 31st, 2011

[17x06] July 31st, 2011

• Total voters
8/10 for me. Hamster is just bonkers thinking a Lambo that doesn't kill you is worse than one that does. I appreciate that the message about EV charging on long journeys wasn't as heavy-handed as they have been in the past, but the point of an EV is for a short range commute. Reviewing EVs on a long journey is like reviewing driving a Caparo T1 by driving to the shop and back. The rally team was a nice piece of film; I hope they do an update on their progress in a later program. Interesting that Ben Collins was in it; was that by Top Gear's choice or someone else?

Great episode. I love that Lambo. The stealth look is very nice and it's brutally fast. It's getting a bit old with all the supercar bashing on the show because the cars are too good. If only those supercar builders would make them more shitty, then everything would great. Yeeeah. I thought the Aventador sounded incredible, looked badass, and was fast as all hell, I just can't imagine it being boring/uninspiring to drive. If you want danger, go play russian roulette or something.

But anyway, the rest of the episode was pretty good too. Didn't really care for the SIARPC segment, but those are rarely entertaining. The news was good. The electric car segment was also very good, while still remaining fair. I'm assuming the break down was real this time. :p And then the final segment with the soldiers, well, that was a great film and I too hope to see them in Dakar.

8/10

Edit: Oh yeah, and Ben Collins! :lol:

Last edited:
9/10. All the segments were great, especially the last ones. God bless those guys, and good luck to them!

Side note- what was James trying to spell out in scrabble? Been a VERY long weekend, 30 hours of work on a combined 15 hours of sleep makes my brain = mush.

Lambo bit was good! I think they should have involved some other super car,just can't think of any good rival atm.And shouldn't Hammond be the one to announce Lambos lap instead of Jeremy,after all it was his review.
Electric cars:Nice and informative segment.Damn that peugeot is ugly,unlike leaf which actually is pretty alright looking car.
Liked the Vets bit.Nice to see those guys still enjoying life.Very moving and inspiring film!

This one is a 10. I don't need to explain myself.

Listen to the man. Need I say more?

S17, one of the best.

It was pulling an 8 until that last film. Gob bless those amazing and inspiring men.

Re the Rally Group. BBC needs to put up the funds to send Hammond on the Dakar with those guys, and provide a couple of films to go along with it showing how they cope, that can then be included in Season 20 of Top Gear at the end of next year.

10. Aventador sounds like heaven. Massively inspiring story with the soldiers.

Re the Rally Group. BBC needs to put up the funds to send Hammond on the Dakar with those guys, and provide a couple of films to go along with it showing how they cope, that can then be included in Season 20 of Top Gear at the end of next year.

S20 = Start of 2013. ;) Anyhoo, I'd love to see a follow-up with them, too.

Bloody brilliant episode, and I'm probably one of the few who didn't mind Louis Walsh so much, if only because he took the piss out of Cowell. :nod:

S17 was definitely a good'un, best one for a while.

Hamster is just bonkers thinking a Lambo that doesn't kill you is worse than one that does.

Richard's general philosophy about supercars, as you likely know, is that they're supposed to be stark raving mad; they're supposed to have a sense of theatre and drama about them. Remember back in S7 he chastized the Ascari KZ-1 as being too sensible and, in S12, he compared the Veyron to a science lesson.

They could have just shown that Aventador film and I would have given it at least a five. And the serious review/test of the electric cars was great. Glad they were serious about that and didn't cock about too much.

Very good episode! 9/10!

The Electric cars segment was lovely! I loved to see James and Jeremy trying to find things to do (epic tattoos also :lol:). And I think I remember seeing some footage of them pushing Jezza's Nissan to be recharged sometime ago (Can't remember if it was here).

The army rally team was really inspiring, and I agree with Richard: They deserve to be in the Dakar (I also liked their choice of sending Hammond. Apart from what Clarkson said about Hammond liking rally, he's also the only one of the 3 presenters who was in a real near-death situation)

All in all, great ep! This series was great!

PS: Maybe it's just me, but I felt the atmosphere in that car getting a little awkward when Richard talked with Collins.

Last edited:
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

- Lambo part was good but the "it were better is it was worse" is too obvious.
- news was fun without being too silly (been a while since they got it right)
- the electric car thing was solid without being an idiot. I do wonder why it's so quiet around hydrogen atm btw
- guest was uninspiring to me but oh well
- the soldier bit was interesting in various ways and properly done

I realise that there'll be people watching it expecting clownesque squirt flowers and nonsense, and they find this sort of TG very dull. To me it's interesting and entertaining while not being annoyingly aimed at 12 yearolds.

Solid, 8.

A very good episode to finish off what has been a very good series, the first consistently good series for such a long time I can't remember the last time we had one.

The Aventador is a great car, but based on all the magazine reviews I've read I knew it would be. I don't normally like Hammond track tests but I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't expecting it to post a lap that quick so well done to the boys from Sant'AGata.

News and guest were quite good. I know I really shouldn't but I quite like Louis Walsh, he just seems like a nice bloke and I admire that in famous people. He hasn't been affected by the fame and money like Simon Cowell has.

Electric cars was very enjoyable, I love it when Jeremy and James do something together (still one of my favourite bits ever was their Merc Vs Rolls test). No scripted cocking about, letting the humour come from events as they unfold naturally and how the trio deal with them is the best way to make TG. Also, not 15 minutes of 'this car is crap because it's electric' as some would have been expected, they actually discussed the cars merits and shortfalls in a balances and sensible way so that's good too. And yes, Hydrogen is the actual future.

And the soldier rally segment was very good indeed. I don't want to discuss it too much because it is what it is and I don't want to dissect it. A very special and moving piece on those men and women who serve our country and nearly get killed doing so. I wish them all the best. I also wasn't expecting to see Mr Collins! I'm glad Hammond dealt with it in a mature and sensible way, there were a couple of jibes as to be expected but given the context of the story it would have been wrong to keep digging at him, therefore making it all about them and the show, so bravo TG for not being bitter and childish about it.

I know the guys occasionally peruse this forum so if anyone from TG is reading this, well done and thank you for a brilliant and thoroughly enjoyable series.

I was also glad to see them put bygones behind them and have Collins back to help out the team.
Interesting that Ben Collins was in it; was that by Top Gear's choice or someone else?

You'll find Ben Collins has been involved with Project Mobility a bit longer than just the Top Gear episode...

Project Mobility: The Project Mobility 4x4 team officially launched the Dakar Project at Horseguards in London, 1 January 2011
The Project Mobility 4x4 team officially launched the Dakar Project at Horseguards in London. After the media event the team headed back to the victory services club for some great food and a chance to chat with Lord Drayson and Ben Collins, one of the Projects Patrons.

This marked the beginning of a long two year journey to achieve international license status in order to fulfil this ambition to be the first disabled rally team to compete at that level. There is still plenty of hard graft and races to be won, and the key is involvement of as many personnel as possible, whether it's for one race or the whole season.

Thanks to Lord Drayson, Ben Collins, QT Wildcat, Victory Services club
- http://projectmobility4x4.org/news_...e-Dakar-Project-at-Horseguards-in-London.html

British Forces News: Injured troops take on Dakar Rally challenge, 1 February 2011
...The charity lists supporters including racing driver Ben Collins, best known as the former Stig on BBC Top Gear, motorsport commentator Murray Walker, veteran adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Dragon's Den entrepreneur Duncan Bannatyne...
- http://bfbs.com/news/england/injured-troops-take-dakar-rally-challenge-43534.html

Though the segment certainly appears to have raised their profile! Oh, and the organisation behind the team is Project Mobility - Twitter: @ProjectMob4x4

Last edited:
A few things about this episode seemed a bit old hat to me.

The "it would be better if it was worse" review has been done a few times before. The Fiat 500 Abarth review and the Corvette vs. R8 review both come to mind.

The arguments against electric cars have been beaten to death, but as usual, they don't offer a real alternative. The point is that the technology will get there, but the current offering isn't viable, however they don't really drive this point home in an elegant way. Their critique is always somewhat topical and unsatisfying.

The guest was pretty unremarkable.

The Dakar segment was strange to me. The idea was interesting enough, but it almost felt like Hammond was doing a benefit of sorts at some points, which was awkward. It was like those stupid shows where a bunch of people build a house for a displaced family or something, and everyone is trying way too hard to seem excited and supportive.

Last edited:
The arguments against electric cars have been beaten to death, but as usual, they don't offer a real alternative. The point is that the technology will get there, but the current offering isn't viable, however they don't really drive this point home in an elegant way. Their critique is always somewhat topical and unsatisfying.

Uh, yes, in fact, they DID offer an alternative. Hydrogen.

Another possible alternative to help push electric cars would be some sort of fluid battery solution that can be drained and replaced at refilling stations.