[17x06] July 31st, 2011

[17x06] July 31st, 2011

• Total voters
I also liked how Ben Collins' appearance was handled. Referenced his departure from the show but also ackowledged his valuable contribution to this project.
same (eventhough i dislike collins and how he handled leaving TG) he seemed really annoyed by hammond being there though.

That would just be hijacking their achievement - it's about the soldiers themselves, not Hammond, not Top Gear. TG have done their bit in spreading the word - now leave the guys to get on with the rally.

He could drive one of their support vehicles and head up the doco. That would be appropriate.

I also wasn't expecting to see Mr Collins! I'm glad Hammond dealt with it in a mature and sensible way, there were a couple of jibes as to be expected but given the context of the story it would have been wrong to keep digging at him, therefore making it all about them and the show, so bravo TG for not being bitter and childish about it.

Whoa! You actually think Hammond had a choice in dealing with Ben Collins? He could have kept digging at a former Special Air Services surrounded by former military servicemen.... until he would have gotten his ass kicked by a former SAS member and several soldier amputees. THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THE EPISODE A TEN! Hammond getting beat over the head with prosthetics!

Yeah, you bet 5 foot tall Richard held back!

Even before we get to the last segment, this was a very good episode IMO.
The Lamborghini-bit was good, even though I disagree with Hammond. The Lambo has the X-factor that you look for in a Lambo, and that is missing in (for example) the McLaren. Just on looks and sound alone ... it does not need to handle awful ...
The News were actually funny ... wich wasn?t the case so much lately.
James and Jeremys little electric roadtrip - I liked it a lot. "It feels like being on 'old top gear'", to quote/paraphrase Jeremy - and that?s not something bad ... it?s good for a change.
Guest - skipped.
I hope we get to hear more from the soldiers on their way to Dakar ... maybe on Top Gear, or at least on the BBC. Nice chaps and a big challange ahead of them. Hope they succeed, all the best wishes ...

9/10

Whoa![...]
I think you?re reading a bit much into that posting ...

Last edited:
I'm aghast and appalled that those running Top Gear don't have the same irrational and hyper inflated hated towards Ben Collins as the fanboys here do.

Maybe we should grow up... instead of being mindless fanboys, we should be critical thinking fanboys.

Anyway, I point out again: this series was a good step forward.

The Dakar piece was inspired. Well done for bringing Ben back into the fold. As someone who actually read his book cover to cover I understand how it would mean a lot to him. That was an incredibly noble gesture on the the part of the TG team.
Yes it was a nice segment, but what do you mean "back into the fold"?Ben was there as he's helping the Project Mobility team, not because of Top Gear.

Can I give it 11?

No?

Then it'd be 10.

No, really, this episode was one of the best of the last years, in my opinion.

The Lambo was a decent and interesting car review, nothing special, but that sort of solid things is what Top Gear is based on.
The News - nice and tidy, not great, but honestly, it was good.
The Electric car - That. Was. Perfect. Ok, maybe it's me agreeing with them 100%, but they just explained in a both factual and entertaining way what is wrong with those cars. And they haven't even cocked about more than strictly necessary.
The Lotus - Flamboyance to the masses, very nice.
The SIARPC - Honestly, I still have to watch it. I will, later on.
The Soldiers - I've already said it, I'd like to be able to vote "11", but I can't. This is why I would.

The army rally team was really inspiring, and I agree with Richard: They deserve to be in the Dakar (I also liked their choice of sending Hammond. Apart from what Clarkson said about Hammond liking rally, he's also the only one of the 3 presenters who was in a real near-death situation)

I was thinking the same thing about Richard being the one to do that segment - the best choice for a few reasons.

And I ask too...what was James trying to spell in the Scrabble game?

I was surprised that Richard did that segment considering that Jeremy is a patron of a charity set up to help wounded veterans.

One of the best seasons since 12 and 13.

That is all.

Whoa! You actually think Hammond had a choice in dealing with Ben Collins? He could have kept digging at a former Special Air Services surrounded by former military servicemen.... until he would have gotten his ass kicked by a former SAS member and several soldier amputees. THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THE EPISODE A TEN! Hammond getting beat over the head with prosthetics!

Yeah, you bet 5 foot tall Richard held back!
they knew ben collins was involved. they set aside their differences to make this clip (well atleast richard did ben seemed like he was about to punch richard in the face, and had such a fake smile). i personally don't like seeing ben collins back for one very simple reason. it removes the mystery involving the stig.
eitherway it's nice of both richard and ben collins to work with these guys. 'm gonna follow their progress for sure

Another possible alternative to help push electric cars would be some sort of fluid battery solution that can be drained and replaced at refilling stations.

I am disappointed with that username you are not suggesting tanks full of pokemon.

ANYWAY.
I enjoyed the electric car review and how they were poking fun more subtly than OH NO, IT HAS EXPLODED or such. Considering the fact they were reviewing something that most watching probably hate it is more impressive that they didn't overblow it.

The last bit, it hit home and made me feel better. I am very glad I watched that today.

Aventador: I've been waiting a long time to see that in action on TopGear and it was spectacular.
To me,car evolution stops at Lamborghini Murcielago LP640:best sounding,most aggressive styling ever seen on a road car...I don't care that it has the engine behind the gearbox and a propeller shaft runs through it to get to the rear wheels...The New Machine is extraordinary but if I had the money,I'd buy the Murcielago in Ithaca green or matte black in an instant...with a manual gearbox

James in motorcycle suit: PRICELESS! when were you born!?? hahah
James has a way with women...
Woman:neoo...
parking in handicap zone

Last edited:
Yes it was a nice segment, but what do you mean "back into the fold"?Ben was there as he's helping the Project Mobility team, not because of Top Gear.

Essentially, the TG production team aren't holding grudges -- and, given the mode of humour, I'm not even sure the intensity of said "grudge" was real.
Ben Collins probably won't be asked back for Richard's "touring car driver race odd vehicles challenges" sketches, but it does mean that if he's involved in a motor event that TGUK's interested in covering, they're not going to make a serious effort to keep him off.