[17x06] July 31st, 2011

[17x06] July 31st, 2011

• Total voters
Aventador and EV parts were fine. Skipped the soldiers rally part, I don't want to watch anything that doesn't involve production cars anymore. 6/10

The only disappointing bit is the short series length... wish they'd get back to doing long runs!

10/10

Best episode of the season. All of the reasons have been explained many times in this topic :)

Helsinki wtf. Now I'll be waiting for Finnish tabloids writing about how Helsinki was mentioned in the program.

Last edited:
1. I like the new Lambo. Utterly impracticable for most roads, but a beautiful car.
2. Electric cars are still useless.
3. News = Meh
4. SIARPC.... couldn't be bothered.
5. Neat story on the soldiers, and cool to the OldStig out earning a paycheck.

8 out of 10. I don't know why I can't go higher.

10, simple as. The Amputated Soldiers piece was one of the best pieces of Top Gear film and very moving.

Surprisingly mature, and very funny, thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

You are right sir!!! Mature may not be the most used word for TG ever since...ever, but they have an unique way of showing us what matters... besides cars, alcohol, girls, etc.

Well obviously the Leaf is a car for people who can afford an electric car for short trips to work or the shops and another car for everything else.
Loved James's tattoo. I actually believed he didn't know what it was. :)

Another great episode and season. Looking forward to the next epic adventure, though.

The only reason that I voted this a 9 instead of a 10, was because they actually made me quite like Louis Walsh! That sort of thing is just not on :mad:

Nice to see (and hear!)the Aventador in TG, but only to hear pure rubbish (and nothing new) from them, what a shame. News segment was ok (specially the James-in-leather lookalike) but not great. The electric cars bit was the best of the episode and the rally soldiers bit was very moving, really. I'll give it an 8 overall, which also is my average rating for this season 17

Last edited:
Good episode the highlight being Richard Hammond with the Soldiers all in all a brilliant series.

Woman:neoo...

How do british women make such a simple two letter word, into a two syllable word something? Please, someone who lives in the UK enlighten me.

I may sound ignorant or informed. Which is probably true, but I'm curious.

How do british women make such a simple two letter word, into a two syllable word something? Please, someone who lives in the UK enlighten me.

I may sound ignorant or informed. Which is probably true, but I'm curious.

British men can do it as well

Who knows, maybe Collins is still the Stig :)

Yeah, maybe he lost 30lbs in order to be faster around the TG test track but then put it back on so as not to look like a wimp next to all those former soldiers?

:p

"Helsinki Syndrome... as in Helsinki, Sweden"

That was in my head at the time too. Still can't work out whether that was planned or if Richard was driving under the influence of Die Hard.

10/10.

The entire show could have just been the film about the injured soldiers and it still would have gotten a 10/10. If there is any TV coverage of the Dakar rally (like with WRC) I will be watching and cheering for the soldiers. Kick ass and take names guys, and thank you for your service and sacrifice.

A thoroughly enjoyable episode and a satisfying end to the best series in at least a couple of years. I was particularly interested in seeing what they made of the electric cars as I drove a Leaf a few weeks ago, really liked it but was very much aware of its practical shortcomings (because of the lack of charging infrastructure, I simply wouldn't be able to get it from where I live to where my family lives without borrowing someone's electricity along the way). Really nice little town car held back by the technology not quite being there yet - and possibly never getting there due to the limitations of battery power. Was glad to see them given a reasonable assessment and not used for slapstick and hyperbole... and their conclusions and observations were remarkably similar to mine.

Hammond's observations on the Aventador were remarkably similar to Jeremy's when he first drove the Gallardo - and he went on to buy one (admittedly the Spyder, which he preferred, but even so). And you know what? I don't actually want a car that wants to kill me. I would be happy with something that looked and sounded that amazing and didn't want to kill me. I do understand the case of, um, 'Helsinki Syndrome', because there is something addictive about adrenaline and risk, but risk is only actually fun when you believe you will overcome it; if you don't, you'll never take the risk in the first place. That film made me want to get out there and book a track day, and it's been a while since that happened (probably 13x02 with the Murcielago SV, to be honest). This time I might actually do it...

And that final film with the rally soldiers was properly moving. I've heard a few criticisms of the inclusion of the moment where Hammond was asking the soldier about what had happened, which led to that soldier breaking down, but I think in a way that was what really brought home the importance of these projects: it's easy to forget that the damage isn't just physical when you see people joking about their prosthetics, or that the loss of 'just' one limb is a 'flesh wound'. It's the wounds you can't see that take the healing, and that's the real value of giving these wounded veterans a challenge that lets them work together as a unit.

Great episode, solid series, very happy Wy. Thank you, Top Gear for six weeks of proper entertainment :)

Don't know if anyone has said this but here goes.

In the news Jeremy was talking about his mercedes needing a service and he wanted to know what it would say when it goes to -1 day. He already knows that i would say. :)
In S15E07 he drives a mercedes and when he start it up at 5:24 it says "Service A Exceeded by 600km". Shouldn't it say the same on his mercedes?

Very solid episode.

Very solid season, one of the best in recent years.