[17x07] December 28th, 2011 [India Special]

[17x07] December 28th, 2011 [India Special]

• Total voters
Kinda with you Tom but S17 proved that they can still do it. The Special is an example of how badly they can get it wrong.

Let's jut hope that the universal backlash this one has generated will give them a much needed kick up the arse.

Exactly, that's why I want to see how S18 pans out first. If it's like S17 then there's no problem but if it's like the India programme then they're going to have a problem on their hands because there's only so much the fans will put up with. And if that's the case, as I said, I'd rather see them bow out now than continue churning out unfunny bilge just to keep the simpleton fans and the BBC accountants happy.

So you're sure of these things and you're still getting your knickers in a knot.
You sound like one of those people who watch TG just so you can find something to moan about.

Welcome to Finalgear.com.

Not trying to big us up here but you'd be quite surprised at how seriously they take the feedback and criticism they get from us. What has changed quite drastically are the comments on the official site.

When quality really started to drop off alarmingly a few series ago most of the comments at topgear.com were the "OMG that was hilarious, you guys rock! LOLOL Whingers go and watch Fifth Gear :p" type, with those who reflected our more critical view in the minority. If you read the comments for this show I would say at least 3/4 echo what has been said here and at Pistonheads.

The overwhelming reaction to this show has been, in the truest sense of the word, a backlash. It has also been very much a united one in that the same reasons are being cited from multiple angles. Those who make the show can be in no doubt that they have received a yellow card for this one. Let's just hope they take it on board and never foist such an appalling piece of garbage onto us ever again. If they do I will be leading the charge to the BBC complaints department myself.

tl:dr? They fucked up, the world agrees they fucked up, they better know it and not fuck up again.

aka The Vast Majority.
Read my previous post.

Ah, but there lies the rub. They can't afford to piss off the loyal fans, the ones with brains, the one who do criticise etc etc. Sure there are plenty of casual fans but the one thing you can say for certain about the Lowest Common Denominator is that they have a low boredom threshold. They are like magpies in a way, they like new things, shiny things. You only have to look at recent examples of LCN TV such as Big Brother or X Factor. The producers of those shows know they are constantly fighting the battle and have to make changes to keep people watching and even then they see audiences dropping.

The LCN will grow tired of TG like it does of everything else. Once it does, unless those of us who whinge constantly are still here there be virtually nobody left to make the show for.

Last edited:
They know that fans like us will tune in to watch every episode, but they cannot rest on their laurels. If they push us too far we will walk and then they'll be left with the casual viewers who might outnumber us but do not watch with the same devotion. And how certain can they be that the casuals will be enough to prop-up their ailing show? Once a TV show starts to fall into oblivion it's very hard to stop it.

You're both right. I'd overlooked the most important aspect : Devotion.
Might be a majority, but to most of them the show is... just another show, basically. Might be replaced overnight by the next abc TV series.

Argh. Series 18, please be better.

(who *didn't* see the Muff/Shit-gag coming?)

As soon as James said 'crumpets'?

#-)

They got it right in Botswana and Bolivia (driving bangers),

Not to mention Vietnam... the first USA trip...

here they got it wrong. And besides: Why not choose everyday *Indian* vehicles? Like the Tuk-Tuk, Vespas, Tata Nano, etc that were shown during that silly hill-climb-event?

Hear hear!

the unavoidable "we found a workshop ... and cued the music"-standard.

I for one would certainly appreciate them going a weensy bit deeper into any modifications to the cars instead on these occasions. The technical, 'car bore' side.

I mean it is still a car show and car bores should account for a goodly chunk of the audience.

Just saying.

Last edited:
On top of that, the cars seemed thrown in as an afterthought, with the guys going through the motions and not really telling us anything about their rides - or building a "relationship" with them.
I cringed when Jeremy trotted out the 'I love this car' speech about the XJS.

I believed it when he said it about the smelly Camaro with non-functioning wipers that cost peanuts but still got him across several States.

This time it just sounded like a copy-and-paste job.

Incidentally - I have been a fan of Clarkson since my teens (and I am now in my 40's), way back when nobody had heard his voice, he was just words on paper and his public platform was a column called 'Chattels' in Performance Car magazine. He's capable of better. Whether this was fear of changing a formula or (more likely) pure laziness, it's still a let down.

I'm surprised with the disparity of the ratings compared with the comments.
People have got to watch it to know how bad it is!

Everyone knows that the whole TG team are big 007 fans. This was their Die Another Day (and I'm sure 007 fans will understand the reference...)

Last edited:
I enjoyed the last series of TG too much to let this special discourage me from watching every episode of the next, but I also hope this wasn't a sign of things to come.

I cringed when Jeremy trotted out the 'I love this car' speech about the XJS.

I believed it when he said it about the smelly Camaro with non-functioning wipers that cost peanuts but still got him across several States.

This time it just sounded like a copy-and-paste job.

My thoughts exactly. There really was no reason for him to "love" the car. None of the cars looked like they were going to cause any trouble for the presenters. They needed useless modifications to make them go wrong .. a bit. That trip could've used some Lancia Beta- or, indeed, Chevy Camaro-magic.

S.

When quality really started to drop off alarmingly a few series ago most of the comments at topgear.com were the "OMG that was hilarious, you guys rock! LOLOL Whingers go and watch Fifth Gear :p" type, with those who reflected our more critical view in the minority. If you read the comments for this show I would say at least 3/4 echo what has been said here and at Pistonheads.
I've only read the first three pages of comments on topgear.com and most of them are actually very positive. Like 'EPIC', 'Funniest ever', 'Brilliant'. Are you sure 3/4 is negative? (Btw, I don't agree with these overly positive comments myself.)

It was bloody dreadful.

The scripted bits were cringe-worthy, vast amounts of the how were just plain boring, or so silly they over-shot being funny and were just sad.

The cars weren't even interesting, it wasn't like the Botswana or Vietnam specials where you were willing them on, they were just 3 normal cars, bought for a decent sum of money. 7k would get you a MINT Mini and XJS, and a tidy Roller in a undesirable colour, not exactly surprising they didn't break down when you bought such nice condition examples...

Easily the worst special they've done, I'm going to re-watch some of the old ones to make me feel better.

nicely said

I've only read the first three pages of comments on topgear.com and most of them are actually very positive. Like 'EPIC', 'Funniest ever', 'Brilliant'. Are you sure 3/4 is negative? (Btw, I don't agree with these overly positive comments myself.)

I haven't read the comments on TG's site, but I think the rating right here in this thread speaks volumes. I can't remember an FG-rating this low for a TG-episode.

S.

I watched it once and felt disappointed, but thought maybe it would improve on second viewing. I sat down to watch it again, but idk, I just changed my mind for some reason and decided to watch 6x02 instead, to see how a proper challenge is done. I guess I'll get around to second viewing this eventually... or maybe not.

I can't remember an FG-rating this low for a TG-episode.

Used to be :
----------------------------------
-------------------------------
-------------------------
----
--
-

Now, to quote Matt, looks like Clarkson's side view.

Always race amongst the squeeing fanboiz to get their comments in ASAP as they bow down to suck at the Cock of Clarkson. Work your way backwards through some of the more recent ones and it's an entirely different story.

Being cynical here, but I'm sort of doubtful that there would be an official response to the backlash. Why would Andy keep writing to appease us? Didn't they realize the crap they put out there? Did anyone in production watch this film before airing it? It's all about money and I think they've sold out, had to, pure and simple. The show is obviously nearing ending, they're out of ideas, out of the chemistry that used to add the spark, but somehow they need make the ratings last. Hence the lowest common denominator. It's just too bad that's how it will be remembered.

BTW, what was up with the lackluster music, I felt like I had one of the copies with library music meant for North American blu-rays.

edit: you know what, in the duration of the show they've managed to mock and offend pretty much everyone. Maybe the last joke's on us.

Last edited:
Because when there has been wholesale whinging here in the past he has done. Now the whinging had spread to Pistonheads and to the majority of the comments on their own website I reckon he kind of has to.

Well, we're only responsible for his paycheck, why would he write?! :blink:

Not all of us pay the license fee... Not me... I don't know the demographics of Final Gear, or the 'internet', but we hail from all over the world. (not meaning to make this a license fee/merchandise debate)

There is mounting pressure for a response, no question about that.