[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Would be hilarious if the spare car was a turbocharged, NOS equipped Morris Marina, or a "full-chav" Astra :D

I want to see them using 3 "poster supercars": Jeremy in a Lambo Countach, May in an F40, and Hammond in a Jag XJ220

edit: Ehh... I think I may be derailing the thread a little...

Last edited:
Ciao amico.

Well, I have to watch the bit again cause I didn't quite catch anything on the first time. I have to rewatch it anyway cause I make italian subtiles of TG for italiansubs.net :D

Wheter if it's you can't film or you can't drive it sounds weird to me, they are stopped on the A25 (or A24, i always confuse those) and I can't see the problem anyway. It's strange really...

Maybe, but it's a very long shot, they were stopped because there was some camera crew on the back of their cars filming from the car trunk (like they usually do, like we've seen many times in the past), then the police saw them and stopped the crew and told them "you can't film like that (because it's dangerous)"

I still suspect thay have some production lorry with them, and they were driving it along with them on Sunday. The policeman was specifically talking about "holiday in Italy".

Let me know if you catch something new.

gave it a 6 because they replaced the noble with another one...shoulda had one of those 'if your car breaks down you're gonna drive 'that' !nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ' :D

:idiot:

Since this wasn't a cheap car challenge what would have been the point? Sure years ago supercars were notoriously unreliable but with modern computer modelling, massive technological leaps and the amount of testing that is done nobody could have foreseen that happening.

Since this wasn't a cheap car challenge what would have been the point? Sure years ago supercars were notoriously unreliable but with modern computer modelling, massive technological leaps and the amount of testing that is done nobody could have foreseen that happening.
On the other hand it was made in a shed in Leicester.

Of course it was built on a light industrial estate in Leicestershire...

:hammond: Yes but the engine is a Volvo engine built by Yamaha!

Great episode. Italy ... well, it?s wonderful. Genuinely brilliant. The black eyed pea man was okay, although I think his music is a violation of human rights. Awful.
The news were good aswell. It?s a solid 8 for me, there are only very few episodes that get a 10 though. I think the colours for the cars are spot on, especially on the Lambo. Such a nice combo!

Oh and the Idea of getting Jeremy `round the track on a bicycle seems great. Maybe we could even get a rough idea of his personal MPG. :D

exactly what was the color used for the Lambo?
BBQ sauce orange? =P

And, even though my favorite color is bright yellow, I still found it a difficult color match for the Ferrari 458.
Maybe I'm nutz!!! ;D

Just thought about that: Was Hammond really backing out in Nardo or was the Noble maybe unable to go faster?

Jeremy was obviously scared, but Richard was shown begging it for "10 more" - but I don't know how fast he was at that moment...

Could Imagine the Noble not achieving its claimed top speed, especially as it sould be quite Hot on that track.

Awesome episode sans SIARPC.

Of course it was built on a light industrial estate in Leicestershire...

That's really irrelevant. The clutch plate fractured and broke apart, which possibly shows a flaw in the manufacture of that particular clutch plate (something Noble likely didn't make themselves). Also, a high-speed run over 200mph isn't really conducive to the longevity of the various components.

Many scenes actually had me holding my breath, missed that feeling.

My input :

1) The May talk about the McLaren's anality in the car at the beginning was the sort of thing TG would slowly fade out as being boring. Glad they didn't.
2) The portly mobile phone guy looks like that portly pre-May host.
3) Glad to see much of what Jeremy has said about the Noble confirmed (You get 1% wrong you've had it... etc.).
4) Jeremy silencing the doubters with a solid piece of driving on Imola.
5) Kudos to Richard's fighter pilot reaction times on the would-be crash (reference to 9x01 intended).
6) Will never have enough of the small argument Jezza'r'n'slow have while waiting for Richard to come when we're introduced to the cars.
7) Stop bringing people as guests because they're famous... We aren't that naive. Don't start bringing people as guests because they're inspirational... This isn't The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Damn they're good with series montages...
Damn they're good at music choices...
Damn this was good!
9/10

Last edited:
That was a brilliant start to a hopefully epic 18th season. I hope they will mark their 10th anniversary in great fashion with this series :D
The supercar shootout was very well done - not too fancy, and more targeted at typical petrolheads that want to enjoy raw POWER at work rather than three middle-aged men cocking around.
I think this episode would do without SIARPC. However, without it I wouldn't even know about will.i.am's versatility, and certainly wouldn't know that he has a car company!

It so deserves a niner.
After a dismal India Special they really made something whileworthy and I just can't wait to see the next episode this weekend :D

Last edited:
Well then, back on form I dare say. Initially I was torn between a 7 and an 8, strictly because there were no sufficiently distracting audience members. But when they came to Rome, the glimpses of Italian chicks, although brief, were but the more distracting for it. So what the hell, let's give it a 9.

Even if .5 of that is pure relief that they can still pull it off.

And OT SIARPC, it wasn't great but it was a great deal less aggravating than watching Jezza suck up to Tom Cruise. So there.

Last edited:
Just had yet another re-watch!
This time with popcorn and whiskey w/cola. ;D

A couple thoughts:

-Since when did Hammond develop a laugh that sounds like Tigger? lol
-By winning the race at Imola, was that possibly Jeremy's finest hour as a Top Gear presenter? (I thought it took a lot of guts!)
-Editing did a bang-up job, with close-ups of the "NOBLE" while Hammond had a chat with his car. And also the finish line at Imola when the three had ended the race. Really affecting!

Last edited:
I love top gear and watched all episodes starting season 1 but I don't like the new direction it took few seasons ago to be just road trips.
I miss the actual reviews from the presenters on the Top Gear Track and how fast could it go around our track with the stig
IMO, Top Gear was better when it had a smaller budget
I'd like it to go back at 1 car review on beginning of episode, star in a resonable priced car and another car review or How hard can it be