[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
I liked it. 8/10

The Nardo speed test was imo to soon "in the story arc" and the pep talks with the cars seemed forced and cheesy. Compared to the supercars in france where they clearly loved their cars (430, zonda, Ford GT), the pep talk would work with those, but these,.... they just didnt sell it they really like them, may loves his ferraris and mclaren gave him no fizz, Clarkson imo misses the craziness of the lambos in the 80-90's and he is now finaly accepting that he's getting to old for them and Noble broke Richards heart after failing nad making a fool of him :p

the unscripted events (2nd part) and their competitive egos (3rd) made the episode. also color selection, wtf... if somone thought it would be funny to drive red sportscars across italy that werent ferraris... not funny, just makes bad visuals.

news were funny but kinda old, especialy teh Alfa romeo.

SIARPC... well i think he was just there becuse someone told him its a big car show, so he could show and sell the rich ghetto star delorean with an 80's german tunner bodykit.

Last edited:
Oh TopGear, where have you been for so long???

Solid 9. The news were a bit meh, the rest was gold. Also, it had an Aventador spitting flames. I need money.

No interest in a boring man with a stupid name
Says someone with the username Thaw Daggerslash :lol:

Seriously, it's great to see a fantastic episode start the series. I knew they still had it in them judging from the last series so it was no surprise to see them deliver the goods. It also had a genuine breakdown too, which is something that the much-criticised India Special could have done with in order to provide some much-needed spontaneity between the scripted moments. (Perhaps the ONLY series on television where a car breaking down would have been a plus point.)

All three supercars had their plus points but anything that spits out flame from the exhaust and makes THAT noise is a genuine supercar, so the Lambo it has to be. Anyway, Italian Stig was most likely an official Ferrari test driver so the boys did well to get anywhere near the Stig's time.

Anyway I gave it 9/10 because there could be potential for something even better that deserves a 10.

Last edited:
I gave it a 9, brilliant episode and a good return to form.
Especially loved the 3 of them "speaking" with their respective car, had a feeling of Days of Thunder about it.

Yeah, it really did.

I have to say that I was concerned the magic might have been lost following the India special - I was half expecting them to say Welcome to Top Gear, and this will be the final series.

Having seen that however, The magic is still very much there, that was an epic episode, with minimal staged "cocking about" and one of the best Road trips they have ever done.

The gravity in Jeremy's voice when he mentioned "Imola" sent a shiver down my spine. I know that as big a formula one fan as he is - and having learned all about the great Ayrton Senna and just how phenomenal he really was (he admitted he always had regarded Villeneuve as his all time best prior to making the tribute) One thought came to my mind "I wonder if he visited "the wall" at Tamburello. Being a Senna fan myself, I know I would have gone there and had a few moments reflection (and yes I'll admit, I did shed a tear when the recap of accidents at the track came on)

To end on a high though, I laughed myself silly at the Stig's Italian Cousin!!

The SIARPC was boring and actually a tad annoying but the rest was quite good. Gave it bonus points for not being silly stupid.

Just took a quick squizz at the comments on the T site. Seems that most are agreeing although a couple of morons are claiming the Noble breakdown was scripted and one said their talking to the cars at Imola was lame and scripted too but actually I was rather touched by that and it seemed really genuine and heartfelt.

OK so someone said "Go into an empty garage and give your car a pre-race pep talk" but that was an idea rather than a script and I think the final execution was spot on.

I've given it 10 - technically it would have been 9.5 as the SIARPC wasn't the best I've ever seen, but I'm rounding it up to 10 because it just gave me such a sense of relief that the guys still have their mojo intact, and of hope for the rest of the series.

Without having read any of the comments: this was awesome! And now back to reading what others think of this episode.

Yup. This sort of stuff is why I watched Top Gear in the first place. Nailed to the edge of my seat the whole way.

And nice SIARPC as well!

Thank You

Thank You

Top Gear is back for another season!

No discussion of torrents, streams, downloads in this thread.

(Copy pasted from another E01 thread because I'm lazy. :mrgreen: )

Thanks for the rip. Top gear makes my day, anyday!

OK so someone said "Go into an empty garage and give your car a pre-race pep talk" but that was an idea rather than a script and I think the final execution was spot on.

I have never done this the night before entering an autocross or track day.

I'm also dating Scarlett Johansson.

Last edited:
The breakdown wasn't a shameful script point, the cars were loud and even the embarassing plug wasn't that bad. The only reason it's not 10/10 is because you should always try harder!

Once again, 9 of 10.

Thank you Mr. Wilman, for an excellent start. Too bad the SIARPC was, well, lacking.

It's great when you roll the dice on one big piece and it works!

Pure concentrated Top Gear that was....epic episode solid 9.5/10

The Aventador is hands down the best car on the planet.

Gave it a solid 10. will.i.am wasn't the most engaging guest, but his knowledge in cars was a relief as I wasn't much excited to see Jeremy learn about hip-hop. I like the format (similar to the last American special they did Christmas before last), to make these journeys feel more epic. And damn me if the last minutes of the race weren't some of the more intense moments on the show ever.

I am hopeful the season as a whole is more like this.