[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Italian road trip - 9.5/10
News - 7.5/10
SIARC - 5/10
Overall - 8/10

As everyone else is saying, the Italian road trip "segment" was genuinely brilliant. Other than the part where they were talking to their cars in the garage, I don't see anything that was planned out ahead of time (besides the actual trip and destinations of course).
That Aventador is just awesome.
If James May was a car, he would be the MP4-12C wouldn't he?
The Noble is very impressive, and I like how it looks, but they seem to have some reliability issues, but that's expected really.
The news wasn't anything special, just a classic TG news segment. Nothing wrong with that.
Will.I.Am was one of the worst guests on the show in a while IMO. Very boring and didn't at all seem to be interested in being there, but he has done some interesting and inspiring things.

Too bad there are only 7 episodes in this series, I was hoping for a long series like series 10.

What else's there to say, since everyone here already said it?

Let's see...

Jeremy going into the streetcar lanes. I actually did that once, but it was on a separated bus lane. God knows how I wasn't fined for that.

The whole "Must Have a Permit to Work on a Sunday In Italy" thingy... Really stunned me, never heard of it. Not even sure if that's for real.

And being brazilian, seeing Imola again will always bring a hugely bad vibe to me. I'm glad they didn't focus too much on the accidents and deaths.

The whole pep-talk seemed a bit too forced, but nothing I can really complain too much about.

I do enjoy the SIARPC most times, but Wil.i-whatever, well... Bit dull, but can't expect everyone to act like a squirrel on cocaine or be as interesting as, say, Michael Gambon. Was good to hear about his social projects, though. Gotta respect that, though that won't make me like BEP's songs.

As for the rest of the series, I'm actually looking foward to Jezza and Mr. Slowly in China, since some of those cars are sold here. And a cheap car challenge wouldn't hurt, IMO.

And one last thing: why 7 episodes? :cry:

Oh, and 9/10.

Excellent. Also, did anyone else think the tow truck bloke looked like Adolf from 'Adolfo's Clean Used Cars' in the first American special?

I thought the same thing... the resemblance is uncanny!!

09x03 vs 18x01
Fat%20Italian%20Cousins.jpg

I also voted 9/10 - was a PROPER episode...

Back to form. I was seriously worried about the show after that bizarre India special, but this was raw TG -- properly old school. Bravo.

P.S. I want a Lambo Aventador. With blue stuff coming out the back. :cry:

Excellent. I was afraid Top Gear were never going to produce a good show after the India special but here they are! They are back!

Absolutely loved the road trip and the intense excitement when they were going for the top speed, hilarious moment with the Italians and Hammond, fun with Clarkson and the "long haired idiot" (heh), and the intense excitement again when they raced was just brilliant. This is what Top Gear is all about.

The only low point was the wil.i.am interview. Don't care about their stupid music and don't care about particularly care about him but it didn't ruin the show at all so I'm giving this a 10.

A solid beginning!! Bring on the next 6!!

I have not enjoyed an episode this much in six series (since 12x01). Gave it a 9, but it's been the closest I've been to giving a 10 in a very long time (the last two were 12x01 and the Vietnam Special).

It's also the first time since they have gone to HD where I have felt the overall cinematography was as good as Series 7 and 10.

Last edited:
7.5 but since I couldn't pick that, I downgraded to a 7...

HUGE TG fan. Seen every episode at least twice (and several MANY more times than that)... This one was good, but not great. There were some brilliant moments. I especially liked Imola. Mostly it seemed rehashed.

Concur on the monochromatic color scheme comment... Minor, but annoying. Will.I.Am was just horrible (and I like most SIARPC bits). However, in his defense, driving a stick with the opposite hand (if you've never done it) can be quite tricky, so I don't blame him for that... But what an oddball!

Anyway, this was good, but I was hoping for so much better. If this were the first episode someone ever saw, I don't think they'd be begging for more. Start strong, finish strong is the ideal. This wasn't it.

i have to say... the old top gear magic is back

it's been down a lot in the past year but this is back to form

i didn't care for the guest star but i love the new enthusiasm

Wow! I can't ever recall being more on the edge of my seat watching Top Gear than I was at the end there when Jeremy was going hell bent for leather in the Lambo. That shot of the exhaust and his helmet cam and the helicopter shot, IMO that may be the best 20 seconds of Top Gear ever! The BBC is just on an entirely different level when it comes to cinematography. I'd ever go so far as to say Hollywood could learn a thing or two, because that was real and not just generated on a computer. Hats off, lads!

Parting thoughts: Will.I.Am and the rest of his Peas can suck it, I hate their music. Good for him trying to bring industry to the ghetto. I imagine in a couple years he'll be arrested in a hotel room with a suitcase full of cocaine. News was funny. Can someone explain what has been being said in the UK newspapers that would cause Jeremy to mention it in the opener?

Can I just point out that the Noble's engine is fully designed and developed by Volvo, Yamaha only do the manufacturing process.

I enjoyed it very much. I gave it a 10/10, because it actually involved proper cars, and driving i might add. Good Job Topgear. The magic is back.

I fell in love twice watching this episode.

Once with the Lamborghini Aventador, which I barely even liked before this, and once with the gorgeous bird wearing pink and standing behind Jeremy during the news segment.

ALSO BLUE FLAMES.

Am I thee only one that was waiting for the Pagani to show up?

"dose blue stuff come out the back?" why yes blue stuff comes out the back of my car... along with red and yellow stuff too. (wankel ftw)

anyways great ep hope the next ones are as good if not better.

This was good proper Top Gear. I loved it.

8/10 for two reasons:
1. I want to leave room for improvement as the season goes on.
2. Give all SAIRPC guests the manual transmission: we as car enthusiasts are entertained by their plight.

I enjoyed it immensely, especially after the India Special. Nice to see Top Gear return to form. Ignoring Will.I.Am in the SIARPC segment, I gave the episode a 10/10.

AMAZING! Brilliant! I'm still on a Top Gear high, so forgive me if I come across as a bit over excited.

My favourite TG episodes are always the one when they are on an adventure. Three cars, all three boys, challenges. This is it for me. An episode like that guarantees that I'll re-watch it over and over.

Great car choices, and such a shame about the Noble breaking down as I would have loved to have seen Richard there during the drive through Italy. I especially like watching though when something goes wrong with a car, and one of the boys attempting to fix it. I'm not sure how much repairing Richard actually did himself, but the greasy face was a convincing touch :) The high speed lap around the circuit and Imola was absolutely gripping. I watched this in 30 degree celcius heat, and I had goosebumps.

This is Top Gear. Thank you to the boys once again, and everyone else involved.

I really, really loved the fake preview. Very well done! The James and Jeremy hugging bit was pretty darn good. Next time James and Richard please :p