[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Great episode! Would've liked to have seen them spend more time on the b roads and less on the motor way, but that's just nit picky stuff.

With that said, who's responsible for booking some of these guests? will.i.am, seriously? I feel like all of the SIARPC's are dropping in at the back end of their UK press tours. Jezza does his best to push through the interviews, but it's obvious both parties can't be bothered and it always makes for awkward television. Especially with the Americans, they just have this look of "what is the show and why am I here".

That was really the only lull in an otherwise great episode!

AWESOME episode! The cars were awesome, and I liked to see that the "supercars suck in urban traffic" gag wasn't dragged for long.

Props to all 3 guys, but really, the one who really made this episode epic for me was Jeremy. He was absolutely driving out of his skin on this one: From pushing his limits on the bumpy top speed course, to the AMAZING final of the Imola race.

Those few seconds, when the Lambo engine replaces the music, with the blue flames and Clarkson going like "C'mon! C'Mon!" inside the car... Damn! I have to go watch it again :D

9 out of ten! Congratulations TG! Bravo!

(PS: only reason for me not giving a 10 was the DULL interview with "Will.you.please.get.up.and.leave")

Very cool, I like it when they are serious and just add their own humor instead of scripting the whole thing. Gets a 9/10 because of the SIARPC, if you go on a car show and can't drive stick, then you suck.

Why? Noone ever mentions Riccardo Paletti in the same breath as Gilles Villeneuve yet they died in the same season within a few weeks of each other.

All of the above deaths are tragic but in death as in life people only ever remember the successful ones.
That's a terrible attitude, if you ask me.

And for what it's worth, why did they feel the need to mention Barrichello's crash and not Ratzenberger's? You'd think that three enormous accidents, all of which ended up causing great bodily harm, which all happened on the same weekend, would be worth mentioning properly? It's totally respectless, because it seems as if everybody remembers Senna and tend to "forget" about Roland. Of course this is to a certain extent understandable if we're talking about somebody who has little to no grasp of motor racing history, but when a show like Top Gear is doing a history segment like this one, it's unforgivable. We're talking about the death of a racing driver here, FFS. Whether or not that person was successful doesn't enter into it.

Sure, people may forget about Ratzenberger, Paletti and countless other drivers who lost their lives. But I'll be damned if playing down the fact that "forgetting" about them isn't a big deal.

Wow, proper Top Gear. Yey!

It was a very nice episode. Plus, they were practically around the corner from where I live, which is nice.

Only strange bit was SIARPC. Was it just me or Will.I.am doesn't know how to smile? Boy he looked contemptuous.

On the Italy bit, a couple of curiosities:

a) Rome actually has chaotic roads, but that's a bit stretched.
b) They were actually driving in areas which are usually restricted to the average driver. Ok, you can enter them, but prepare to pay a big fine...
c) The "holiday" thing wasn't something about working on holidays, but had probably something to do with driving or filming permits or, possibly, with the crew having aome sort of lorry to carry the props around. Lorries are not allowed on the motorways on Sundays and other holidays. So this might be the case.
d) At first, I was absolutely sure the fat tow-driver wasn't speaking italian, nor, for what I knew, any language known to mankind. Now, however, after hearing to him through the speakers at an insanely high volume, I could make something out of his blabbering. He speaks with a horrendous accent.

So he says:

1) it's wider than the tow-truck
2) it's a... a N... n... Noble.
3) I can't do it because of the width.

after the tunnel bit:

4) eh, but... well, there was nobody here.
5) yes, I'm a tow-truck. (yes, literally. it's only just a bit less weird in italian)
6) When I tell you they called the tow-truck, ... (Richard covers the words with his voice)

another call

7) Hi, listen... I'm on the A14...
8) (covered by richard)
9) well, good evening.

It must be said that the fact that the tow-driver doesn't even remotely say anything to Richard is probably an effect of editing, because when the guy leaves, he says goodbye like someone who was there and talked the entire problem through with them (thought they probably hadn't too much to say because of the language barrier). At the same time, it is entirely possible that the first thing the guy has done was not greeting Richard, but checking the car and its width.

e)I've seen bits of road I use frequently!

With that said, who's responsible for booking some of these guests? will.i.am, seriously? I feel like all of the SIARPC's are dropping in at the back end of their UK press tours. Jezza does his best to push through the interviews, but it's obvious both parties can't be bothered and it always makes for awkward television. Especially with the Americans, they just have this look of "what is the show and why am I here".

I'm surprised it wasn't The Muppets (specifically Kermit and Miss Piggy), they've been on literally EVERY telly and radio show these last couple of weeks promoting their new movie.

I can usually predict a big american guest (if I haven't read who it is already) because they have been in the country that week promoting their new film/album/dvd/play/any old crap on all the big radio shows plus Jonathan Ross and/or Graham Norton on the TV.

Shameless Final Gear bait for the first episode of the season!

I'd imagine that blue stuff is going to become a meme at some point...

I gave it an 8. The news was good but not that brilliant and the SIARPC wasn't the best either (although, he was still miles better than the worst guest ever; Michael McIntyre) and, like a couple others have said, no mention of Ratzenberger was rather sad :(

I gave it an 8. The news was good but not that brilliant and the SIARPC wasn't the best either (although, he was still miles better than the worst guest ever; Michael McIntyre) and, like a couple others have said, no mention of Ratzenberger was rather sad :(

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I really enjoyed Michael McIntyre's appearance on SIARPC. Thought he was quite funny.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I really enjoyed Michael McIntyre's appearance on SIARPC. Thought he was quite funny.

I'm with you. I thought he was funny too.

James May

James May

Oh my God, I can't stop laughing with James May face at ~37min, when he is eating an ice cream and says "bonjorno" to the police woman..EPIC LOOOL :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
That's a terrible attitude, if you ask me.

And for what it's worth, why did they feel the need to mention Barrichello's crash and not Ratzenberger's? You'd think that three enormous accidents, all of which ended up causing great bodily harm, which all happened on the same weekend, would be worth mentioning properly? It's totally respectless, because it seems as if everybody remembers Senna and tend to "forget" about Roland. Of course this is to a certain extent understandable if we're talking about somebody who has little to no grasp of motor racing history, but when a show like Top Gear is doing a history segment like this one, it's unforgivable. We're talking about the death of a racing driver here, FFS. Whether or not that person was successful doesn't enter into it.

Sure, people may forget about Ratzenberger, Paletti and countless other drivers who lost their lives. But I'll be damned if playing down the fact that "forgetting" about them isn't a big deal.

Don't be stupid. I was simply offering a possible explanation not sharing my own attitude. I was surprised myself they didn't mention Ratzenberger and not a little disappointed.

The fact is that some things stick in the collective consciousness more than others. Ask people to name a famous shipping disaster and they will undoubtedly say Titanic but there are at least 5 peacetime sinkings since which have killed more people and several more during times of war. Is that right? Certainly not. Is that the case? Absolutely.

Still can`t decide what was better:

Clarkson`s mornin' (Bonneville trip) or May`s buongiorno...