[18x01] January 29th, 2012

[18x01] January 29th, 2012

• Total voters
Good start to the new series. Loved the supercar segments, but I had to skip over SIARPC because I saw will.i.am's horrific Delorean "bodywork" elsewhere and wanted to throw up. I think that's the first time I've ever skipped SIARPC on an episode ever.

I always find it amusing reading all the people saying they skip SIARPC because as a Ukanian, I watch it live on BBC2 every week so I have no choice but to watch every single one. Whether it is as a result of this or not I don't know but even if I wasn't watching live I still think I'd always watch SIARPC. Certainly the first time round anyway, whether I watched them on the repeat would come down to whether I like the person or if it was a good interview.

Now THAT's funny. You see, when they don't try to script their humor or work in silly gags just to tape their fake reactions, they're genuinely funny and entertaining as-is. Sure, there are still some setups, but it felt more like the old TG here; 3 blokes on a jaunt.

Personally I prefer the junker car specials, but there was something fun about watching them put real cars through their paces on real tracks.

(OK the India train/banner stuff...that was really funny)

What was Jeremy talking about at the beginning of the show? What terrible battering?

Good episode! Better then expected. I enjoyed it quite a lot, also they were driving in roads and highways near the place where I live. Particularly, I drive quite often where the Noble broke down and where Jezza and May meet the police.

I don't know what happened with the tow fat guy, lol. I can't say this can't happen in Italy but on the filming it isn't clear what's going on, what I can hear on the phone doesn't help, I don't know if it's staged. The only thing that I'm sure it's not staged it's the waiting time, it's, sadly, a regular thing there in Puglia.

You don't need any permission to work in Italy on Sunday, I don't know what the hell Clarkson was saying or what he understood.

Well, if you have other questions feel free to ask.

Hello, good to see another italian in there (I counted 4 of us so far).

about the "holiday", it seems to me that the policeman is telling them about some permission, just after he speaks in english, and (unfortunately) exactly when Jeremy starts saying "interestingly...", he says something in italian, but the volume is really too low, so I can't understand whether it's "girare" or "filmare", or what else. It ends in "are", though. I could bet it's "non potreste girare" (for anyone else, "you are not allowed to drive" [free translation]).

what do you think, bahamut?

Last edited:
This was a proper top gear episode!

10!

I'm going to put it in a spoilertag because last time i received a neg rep for an episode that was more than five weeks old.. (i'm colorblind so i don't see the rep, meeh)
This episode was one like every episode should be like! The breaking of the noble was something that made the episode better. And somehow it looked less scripted.. The fat blog however, that was ignoring Richard was funny but again somehow unrealistic. Still funny! The beautiful noise of the aventador, the mclaren stylish looks, amazing!

The best part was when James said against the female police agent, "bonjorno!(how you write dunno)" and she just looked angry at the camera. This was simply hilarious!

I skipped the guest star, i'm not fond of these celebrity parts actually. And it seemed that will.i.am was not an easy person to talk to.

The music was again excellent chosen! Especially the last end where the guys were going to the limit.

This was a very good episode and it came close to the aston martin vs 997 vs superleggera episode.

I forgot to mention the cat behind James at -53:12:pretty. Although being a cat at Nardo you probably end as roadkill or make the driver become roadkill...

What a promising start to the new season, much better than I was expecting though not as good as I was hoping.
The news segment was rubbish, but that Lamborghini sound just outweighs everything :mrgreen:

hammond went overboard and sounded like a giant asshole after the first port of the italy film, and meh siarpc, but otherwise a really nice episode.

10/10 - this is exactly what I want from Top Gear. No cocking about, no stupid stunts. Just three guys loving cars (and the super-ness of the cars matters to me not a jot).

Solid 8 for me. Funny, entertaining, word.

that was a truly brilliant episode.

that lambo . . . . good grief i want one. the noise, the looks, the flames

9/10 nearly perfect.

siarpc killed it a bit though.

gave it a 6 because they replaced the noble with another one...shoulda had one of those 'if your car breaks down you're gonna drive 'that' !nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ' :D

This begs the question: If they can always drive that good, and give that much of a fuck on occasion... watching them actually care was far more entertaining then them being retarded. 8/10, amazing driving.

Just re-watched and now wish I could change my score from a 7 to an 8.. >_>

Oh, i wish they spent a little more time in that Italian square at the end with all the people.
That was a really cool scene. ;D

Hello, good to see another italian in there (I counted 4 of us so far).

about the "holiday", it seems to me that the policeman is telling them about some permission, just after he speaks in english, and (unfortunately) exactly when Jeremy starts saying "interestingly...", he says something in italian, but the volume is really too low, so I can't understand whether it's "girare" or "filmare", or what else. It ends in "are", though. I could bet it's "non potreste girare" (for anyone else, "you are not allowed to drive" [free translation]).

what do you think, bahamut?

Ciao amico.

Well, I have to watch the bit again cause I didn't quite catch anything on the first time. I have to rewatch it anyway cause I make italian subtiles of TG for italiansubs.net :D

Wheter if it's you can't film or you can't drive it sounds weird to me, they are stopped on the A25 (or A24, i always confuse those) and I can't see the problem anyway. It's strange really...

Maybe, but it's a very long shot, they were stopped because there was some camera crew on the back of their cars filming from the car trunk (like they usually do, like we've seen many times in the past), then the police saw them and stopped the crew and told them "you can't film like that (because it's dangerous)"

gave it a 6 because they replaced the noble with another one...shoulda had one of those 'if your car breaks down you're gonna drive 'that' !nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ' :D

I don't know, would have made it worse if they had been in Imola with only two supercars...

What they could have done was giving him the spare car (Dacia Duster, since it's all new cars? ;) ) for a part of the journey, and then having the Noble wait at the racetrack or so.

But even so, they could've done that, wouldn't have been better or worse either way imo, just different...