[18x03] February 12th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

I know that something similar to this was posted in the 18-02 pre-episode thread, but I thought that I'd start a new one for it so that it gets properly moved into the pre-episodes forum.

3/7. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond take charge of shooting a car chase for a remake of The Sweeney, assisting with the stunt-driving choreography and the direction of lead actors Ray Winstone and Plan B. James May takes the Vauxhall Corsa VXR Nurburgring for a run around the test track, and delivers his verdict on the updated Fiat Panda. Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds is the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

LINK.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Car Chase is double-length and that James reviews both small hatchbacks in one segment. I honestly like the segments where the presenters "take charge" of things such as the Scirocco advertisement.

I know that something similar to this was posted in the 18-02 pre-episode thread, but I thought that I'd start a new one for it so that it gets properly moved into the pre-episodes forum.

LINK.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Car Chase is double-length and that James reviews both small hatchbacks in one segment. I honestly like the segments where the presenters "take charge" of things such as the Scirocco advertisement.

I like it when they 'take charge' but try for real. If they fail, it's still funny when they do. But when they 'try to fail' and it all winds up cheeseball, then it's terrible.

From the previews, except spheres of Cheddar headed your way.

Is this the season of Hollywood? Damn.

I like it when they 'take charge' but try for real. If they fail, it's still funny when they do. But when they 'try to fail' and it all winds up cheeseball, then it's terrible.
Kind of like the Snowbine episode (16-05). The first part where they made the airplane runway was not very good (because they were screwing around too much), but the second part when they actually went out and plowed that long stretch of road was great.

For those that haven't seen the trailer, it looks like the car chase segment will feature at least the Jaguar XF and the 2013 Ford Focus ST (A car which I have been waiting for ages to come to the states!)

(what am I saying? of course everyone here's seen the trailer, haha)

Last edited:
Why are you being so insulting to one of the most popular cheeses in the world? Why not hurl about balls of Velveeta instead?

This being Top Gear, I expect the cheese to have some level of quality. It only rarely descends to processed-cheese level (e.g. India), but given the nature of the material in 18x03, I'm not expecting a Camembert or Gruyere. As for Cheddar: Cheddar is British and, as you said, one of the most popular cheeses in the world, so on the surface it's a good cheese analogy to use for TG. It also leaves sufficient room for the anti-TGUSA crowd to call that show American cheese.

Besides, Velveeta is a trademark of Kraft. I work in the food industry, and, frankly, I don't want to get on Kraft's bad side.

This seems to confirm that 18x03 has been specifically designed to get up FG noses while appealing to 8 year olds. I expect lots of really lame gags that we will all see coming a mile away.

EDIT: Also Hmmmm, cheese. :drool:

This seems to confirm that 18x03 has been specifically designed to get up FG noses while appealing to 8 year olds. I expect lots of really lame gags that we will all see coming a mile away.

hahahaha "Steal it this week, but not next week"...

I don't *hate* the 8 year old-friendly segments. When done right, they're actually pretty funny. It just when it becomes a set-piece fest like the India special when it goes wrong. "It has to be funny here, here and here" - doesn't work.

But I don't mind if they have an episode or two out of seven where they goof around, if it means we can have 4 or 5 which are like the first of the series. It's just a word of caution to not end up like the Mythbusters; used to do relevant things which were entertaining on their own, now trying to force it by using copious amounts of explosives.

It is sometimes good to shift away from car content to cocking-about for a bit, but there are two rules how to do that properly:
1) Do everything that's not even remotely close to India Special.
2) After a massive cocking-about segment, balance it with explaination how a camshaft works.

2) After a massive cocking-about segment, balance it with explaination how a camshaft works.

The problem with tech stuff from the May collection is that those of us who care about such things already know, and those who don't would probably rather stick their heads in a microwave than learn about variable valve timing.

I'm fine with the eight year old things exploding segments, they just need more girls in bikinis. Even the most staunch gearhead will STFU so long as there are scantly clad women about.

Remember, this was the exact same thing that Jeremy and Andy said about 17x04 (Remember that video? The one that made Lancer go ballistic and provided us with an entertaining thread for four days?). Turned out to be typical Modern Top Gear Cocking About: appealing and interesting in the first half, overscripted for laughs in the second half. I'm more worried about not understanding the Sweeney material more than the quality of it.

Don't you mean...........?

Sounds like the hardcore petrolheads on here will hate this episode. Glad they continue to cater for all audiences though, people like MWF and ahpadt can and surely will blast this episode, but I hope they do knowing full well that plenty of others will no doubt be laughing all the way through. So yes, great to see Wilman and Jezza continuing to act unselfishly with episode content.

My own personal view is I think I won't enjoy ep3 as much as the first two, but I'm going to be expecting a few scripted gags in there and lots of fire so hopefully they'll do it well enough.

I was pessimistic about episode 2 and was pleasantly surprised, here's hoping the same will happen with episode 3.

What's with the sudden All-American SIARPC?

Ryan Reynolds is Canadian.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to the silliness. As long as it's not overly contrived silliness. :nod:

Sounds like the hardcore petrolheads on here will hate this episode. Glad they continue to cater for all audiences though, people like MWF and ahpadt can and surely will blast this episode, but I hope they do knowing full well that plenty of others will no doubt be laughing all the way through. So yes, great to see Wilman and Jezza continuing to act unselfishly with episode content.

You are new here. ahpadt will hate this episode just for existing; he doesn't need a reason, and we indulge him in this. MWF, though, only hates episodes if they deserve hate. He doesn't criticize without reason for doing so, like most of us here.

You don't seem to realize that we're a group of critical fans. We're not the type to bow and scrape before Andy and Jeremy, thanking them continuously for providing us with new episodes. If something's wrong, we say so. And there's at least one case of Andy actually listening to what people at this site were saying. If you're looking for continuous boosterism here, you're not going to get it. The closest we come to it is the bunch of people who tremendously overrate episodes. Some people don't understand that on a scale of 1 to 10, 5 is average. Please note: if you spend an entire paragraph being critical about things and then give the episode a 9, you're a moron.

We don't begrudge Andy and Jeremy acting "unselfishly". Most of us here are on record as saying that we like cocking about. But we like it only under certain conditions. Like, if it doesn't come across as overscripted or hamfisted.

If you expect everyone here to be mindless cheerleaders for TG, may I suggest you go to the TG website? That's where you'll find them.

Report from someone (no, not me :p) who went to the filming. The Sweeney segment is a mix of cringe and proper laugh out loud moments. One extreme to the other, he said. James's segment good; star and news average, but OK average.

Well I am looking forward to it. I liked the Sweeney in the 70s - 'shut it'!

A bit of a piss take can be forgiven.

Intro

Get your trousers on - You're nicked. ...

End Credits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.